Suggestion Can we have threads older than a year or two marked?

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Curious. Is there any way to mark threads that are older than 24 months (or some designated age) so new guys won't keep digging them up as though they're fresh?

If there was a way to highlight threads that are past a certain date, perhaps people would notice. As things are, people don't even look at the age of some of these threads they dig up.

-Rylo

I know many hate the infamous 'necro-threading' :lol, but personally, I love them.

I love to see old threads brought back to life, as they sometimes contain information that I never even knew existed, or about a cool prop I would never have even dreamed of searching for.

Plus, it saves opening another thread about the same subject. I would rather see all info on a topic be contained in one thread for clutter's sake and ease of reading with a time-line too :)

But that's me :lol

That's me too, more or less. I wouldn't want them CLOSED - it would be nice to see a necropost kick off with an acknowledgement that it IS a necropost, though.

I mean, let's say User X posts a thread titled "Studio Scale Millennium Falcon 5-footer kit in development: target price $400" and everyone goes bananas for a while. Then of course it doesn't happen and the guy disappears.

Then two years later a necroposter pops up, reads only the first part of the thread and posts an enthusiastic response to the OP...suddenly we're all going bananas again. THAT part is kinda annoying. :D

Last edited:
I know many hate the infamous 'necro-threading' :lol, but personally, I love them.

I love to see old threads brought back to life, as they sometimes contain information that I never even knew existed, or about a cool prop I would never have even dreamed of searching for.

Plus, it saves opening another thread about the same subject. I would rather see all info on a topic be contained in one thread for clutter's sake and ease of reading with a time-line too :)

Me too! However, maybe a different color font for those threads?

Oh, why can't we colorize our texts in replies?

Back on target. One board I visit has a warning message pop-up that says something like "Warning, this thread has not been replied to in more than 365 (or whatever) days. Are you sure you want to reply?"

Edit - I'm wrong, the warning you get is below.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I'm not suggesting killing them; just highlighting them for those who simply don't notice the age.

-Rylo

That's me too, more or less. I wouldn't want them CLOSED - it would be nice to see a necropost kick off with an acknowledgement that it IS a necropost, though.

I mean, let's say User X posts a thread titled "Studio Scale Millennium Falcon 5-footer kit in development: target price $400" and everyone goes bananas for a while. Then of course it doesn't happen and the guy disappears.

Then two years later a necroposter pops up, reads only the first part of the thread and posts an enthusiastic response to the OP...suddenly we're all going bananas again. THAT part is kinda annoying. :D

True, but look what happened here, post 23 onwards :lol

Now we get Alien Eggs because of a necro-post :D

Well, speaking as a propmaker, I would never tack my work on the thread of another author who just happened to be building or discussing the same topic; I have and would always start a thread of my own design if I were sharing a project.

As for vapor props that are just being talked to death; it doesn't really matter. Again, the point is, people might take a moment and look for something a little more current if they noticed the age of a stale thread, that's all.

-Rylo

What about an archive section? Threads there would be ones that haven't been posted in for more than 365 days. You could still resurrect them, but before doing so, you would get a warning pop-up message that asks you to make sure you want to "un-necrify" it.

Well, speaking as a propmaker, I would never tack my work on the thread of another author who just happened to be building or discussing the same topic; I have and would always start a thread of my own design if I were sharing a project.

That stands to reason of course. It's just common decency :thumbsup.

I think the point here is about necro-threads in general.

As for vapor props that are just being talked to death; it doesn't really matter. Again, the point is, people might take a moment and look for something a little more current if they noticed the age of a stale thread, that's all.

I agree, and don't. There could be (and probably there would be), information / links etc in an old thread that would otherwise not be seen in a new thread.

Then you'd get someone invariably say "Ah, but this has already been said / discussed in a previous thread xyz"

I dunno, seems the system is just fine as it is.

Just my opinion though :)

There ya go; that's a good idea!

-Rylo

What about an archive section? Threads there would be ones that haven't been posted in for more than 365 days. You could still resurrect them, but before doing so, you would get a warning pop-up message that asks you to make sure you want to "un-necrify" it.

I agree!
As i am new here i am more of a Nerco-reader, it may take 20-30% of the time i am here to look at new Threads and the one i have my eye on but the rest of the 70-80% of my log time is visiting the old and really old threads. Great stuff, ideas and a vast ocean of knowledge that hasnt been seen or touched any anyone and its there for me. :) make me feel like Indiana LOL

We can look into this but I think anything we did would require adding a layer of complexity that we probably don't want to add to the site.

Rylo,
You are just going to have to suck it up, muscle through, or, the easiest, just ignore it. With new members joining daily, this is going to happen and it is not a bad thing.

I think I'll manage big guy. Never said it was a bad thing. Simply noted it would be nice to highlight the topic for those who otherwise may not notice the age of a given topic.

-Rylo

Rylo,
You are just going to have to suck it up, muscle through, or, the easiest, just ignore it. With new members joining daily, this is going to happen and it is not a bad thing.

Understood 100%

Just didn't know if the feature was available as some sort of auto thing that could be flipped on.
Didn't we have an archive section (Like oneye mentioned) at one point?

Thanks

-Rylo

We can look into this but I think anything we did would require adding a layer of complexity that we probably don't want to add to the site.

I think I'll manage big guy. Never said it was a bad thing. Simply noted it would be nice to highlight the topic for those who otherwise may not notice the age of a given topic.

-Rylo

Well, I got your back if needed. :D :lol

Understood 100%

Just didn't know if the feature was available as some sort of auto thing that could be flipped on.
Didn't we have an archive section (Like oneye mentioned) at one point?

Thanks

-Rylo
We had an archive section back when we would prune all of the forums. Since no longer prune the forums, so there is no need so "save" a thread from being deleted by putting it in a different forum. This way, it's very easy to find anything you might be looking for, and it eliminates the need for the inevitable flood of "this thread needs to be archived" posts.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back