Can Styrene sheet be colored?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Zlurpo, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Zlurpo

Zlurpo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is there a good way to make styrene sheet look old/yellowed? I want a sort of ivory color. Does RIT dye work? Other techniques?
    Thanks!

2. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

I've accidentally stained white plastic with tea before. Not specifically styrene, but tea stains most things (though not too permanent).

3. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

not it's not possible - styrene is vinyl benzene, a coloration has to be added before making the sheets.

4. Fizbin

Fizbin Well-Known Member

AFAIK paint is going to be your best bet for a permanent solution.

5. Fizbin

Fizbin Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, there are industrial dyes which will stain PVC pipe very vibrant colors, but I've not seen it used on styrene before.

I don't see why a very strong dye wouldn't work, but you're not going to get a very good ivory color out of it without a tremendous amount of trial and error... and even then you may not get a consistent tint.

6. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

You can do things to age it but your limited to the wind basically when it comes to control of the process. Leave it in the sun, spray it with WD40, its already been mentioned about tea and/or coffee, CA glue spray kicker will yellow it, crafts type powder tints if fine enough will stain the surface. Of course were talking 3000 and above mesh fine but this is my styrene work surface from the past week. Think I may frame it and hang it on the wall now I look at it.

[​IMG]

7. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Unless it is light stabilized you should be able to yellow styrene with UV light. I don't know how long it will take out in the sun, probably a lot longer than you want. Maybe get a UV lamp.

I'm basing that off of this.

8. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

UV light is going to make styrene brittle, I don't think, it what he wants - if industrial dyes coloration are posssible, it's a trial and error thing.