Buying the stainless gullwinged car!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Mega Gigan, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Mega Gigan

Mega Gigan Well-Known Member

(that's wild. It's like I posted but didn't. If this is a double post, mods please delete?)

Hey everyone. I think I might have hit the deepend of prop replication. This baby might be in my future (if the bank approves the loan...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I'm happy as hell. I'll let you guys know if it comes and visits me permanetly.

EDIT: Reworked image tags... Darryl

Thanks Darryl... as you can tell I'm not too webboard savvy. :confused

2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope it comes through for you.

You will need to get it really working to beat the Traffic where you are at. ;)

3. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

"When this thing hits 88mph..You're gonna see some serious..."

Awesome.

4. seswa

seswa New Member

i've always wanted to get one.
    i hope everything goes through too.

5. Mega Gigan

Thanks everyone. I just got a call from my bank and I have been approved. Now the bidding war between the owner and I will commence.

6. mtsbspidey

mtsbspidey Well-Known Member

nice....good luck with the bidding war....skott

7. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cooool - where in VA do you live? Lotta people in the MD/VA/PA area.
    Oh - and there's a fella in OK that you should talk to about time machines ;)

8. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck.I wish I could afford one.. :D

9. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

When the bidding war is over, let us know how much it went for one way or the other. :D

10. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck man...hope to welcome you to the club...I've had mine for over 3 years now. The bank had no problem financing mine because it appraised WAY higher than I borrowed...
    now for question are ya gonna destroy it like some of the rest of us?
    I haven't bolted anything on...YET but there is a larger quanity of parts in my garage ;)
    mike

11. Hand-Schaub

Hand-Schaub Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks in good condition. Wht mechanical things have or need to be done? Let me know if you need any newby DeLorean owner advice. I went through the whole deal but I love my car..

12. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Id like to see someone make a mock up of the motor and Mr. Fusion....has this been done?

13. AlltoEasy

AlltoEasy Well-Known Member

just out of interest, as you don't see many of them in the uk. How much (in good condition) would one of these set you back?

Dan.

14. propsculptor

I'm curious, is there anyway to attach the Time Machine Delorean Parts with High-powered Magnets?

That might be a better alternative than damaging an original Delorean. :D

15. MGC

MGC Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is my friends car;

http://homepage.mac.com/protonmonkey/PhotoAlbum17.html

Not totally accurate, but everything can removed without leaving a single mark on the car.

To the original poster, if you must butcher this car, at least do it properly. I do a lot of the press stuff for the DeLorean OC in the UK and the car deserves a better reputation than "lol time machine". if you want to restore it to it's original (dubious) glory, then more power to you.

16. Mega Gigan

I don't think I'll be ripping this car apart just yet. It'll last me a few years before I do that. But in the meantime, I might be collecting time travel parts... you know, just in case :lol

This car is in great condition. I saw it first hand and I'm hoping that the seller with sell it for $24,000. At least that's what I offered to him, and that's what he was asking around. So hopefully that'll pull through.

I don't think there is anything that I need to know about the Delorean except I know the door struts will be replaced a few times :)

17. MGC

MGC Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Crikey, they've gone up lately.

Best of luck to you :)

18. Mega Gigan

John Z. Delorean did pass recently, and that of course put the price tag up.

19. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

I also welcome you to the club. You'll love it. (as long as it doesn't give you too many problems, LOL)

20. speedtwin

speedtwin New Member

Good luck on the car. I have worked on several of these in the past (former life as a grease monkey) and found that they are interesting, to say the least.

If you get a chance, ask the owner if he occasionally drops by crossroads cycle in Baileys Crossroads. I spend a decent amount of time hanging out at the shop, and there is a guy that stops by from time to time with a Delorean. There really aren't that many in the area (I see the Fairfax County sticker on the windshied), so I am curious to see if it is the same car.

-Brent

21. Mega Gigan

awesome news everyone, the owner said he'll sell it for 24,000 and I have the loan. It's set in stone.

Also funny to mention that some old guy came to me and gave me sports... something. He said it tells the future or whatever. Old people sure are funny... :lol

Anyway, the the poster right above me. Was the guy kinda short, had a bald spot, kinda figity and a lawyer with like 4 or 5 other cars? If so, it's the same dude.

Looks like I'll have this car in my arms in about a week. I'll take plenty of pictures.

22. propsculptor

Congrats... :D :D

23. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like the guy who bugged my friend a few years back to sell him some of his vintage Mopar Cars.

Small world indeed :lol

Congrats on the new set of wheels.. :)

24. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

Hey, may want to check with your insurance company on getting this car insured if required by your state I know some carriers won't insure Delorians.

Lee

25. SPDOmegaRanger

SPDOmegaRanger Well-Known Member

i was wondering that myself how much would a delorean set a uker back id love to own a delorean in the future(no pun intended)

26. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just a question how much is your monthly insurance? Also a tip...what I did (here in Michigan where we have a TON of classic car owners) I have a specialty insurance that covers it for the appraised value and it's dirt cheap...BUT I have to say that I drive it less than 3000 miles a year...
    So it works out because it is just a nice weather/weekend driver.
    Because when I tried to insure it with regular insurance :eek the price a month was astronomical.
    mike

27. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm curious being an Auto Insurance Underwriter for the largest Auto Insurer in the nation we won't insure the car at any cost. The main reason is replacement parts. If anything breaks on it finding parts for it aren't cheap from what I understand.

Lee

28. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Muhahaha. :)

Repeat these words when your on the side of the road with smoke flying out the back.. heheh.. j/k

About 7 years ago I restored my delorean from the ground up. If you ever need any advice or help let me know.

I would seriously join the dmc mailing list and group at www.dmcnews.com. Its a simple car to work on, and you will need to.. These cars are notorious for having gremlins lurking around in them. Not trying tto rain on the parade of our new ride and its a fun great car, I loved mine. But like any handbuilt car thats older, it will require TLC. BE SURE to do all the checks on the engine and perform any of the recommended upgrades, minor things really but not doing them could lead to SERIOUS consequences.

http://www.dmcnews.com/techmain.htm

Here is the link to the dmcnews website and tech section. This is the more common items that need check or fixing and how to do it ( I helped write a few of these). Join that yahoo group too and suck up all the info..

Congrats and Good Luck....

29. Mega Gigan

Actually I was wondering could anyone point me to a good insurence provider in VA? I have one for my 2005 Scion xB, but they wouldn't take my Delorean. Of course I don't own it yet, the deal is in motion though.

Any suggestions?

30. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'd find them shortly, Delorean ownership is a small world. I found this place by accident, while driving by.

Their name is DeloreanOne and they are a major rebuilder of Deloreans. If they can't get it / fix it, nobody can.

They are in Northridge, CA (or were, a couple years ago, haven't been by there lately)

31. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

Just happened across this pic at another forum, had to add it here for laughs

[​IMG]

32. Hand-Schaub

Hand-Schaub Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Congrats and making the deal. I think you will find that no matter what you pay for the car... it will need work. But it's actaully a very well documented acar and many people are willing to help.

FYI... the DeLorean1 guys are real turds (actually just the owner). Better to fix the car yourself. There are many other companies which will actually "help" you to find and fix things on you car.
    Insurance should not be any diferent than any other car out there. I use 21st century and the service has thus far been great. I had the car towed twice which was for free as part of thier service (for stupid reasons not associated with the quality of the car) and rates have not gone up. In fact I pay under $60 month combined with another vehicle for good coverage. Of course I have my 2nd car, low mileage and teaching proffesion discounts. But your normal insurance company should insure it... parts and service ARE available.

Oh... speaking of removable time machine parts, my car was actually converted at one point. It was used in a marketing movie for a large drug company. It was the type of film that only higher up and industry people would ever see... in other words, it was aweful. ANyway, I thought I would post a pic of my car from waaaaay before I owned it. This is a cast and crew shot and yes, my car in the middle.

[attachmentid=7613]

Have fun and good luck.

33. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

Cool picture. Their Doc and Marty aren't bad, not bad at all.... (for being just a corporate movie).