Building my first Proton Pack

Solos blaster

Sr Member
Well, I've finally been able (after many, many years of wanting one) to build a Proton Pack! Like many other fans, I wanted one since I first saw Ray power up Egon's Ghostbusters as a kid. This is going to be a long and slow build, for 1: parts and doing it right and 2: I don't have much free time in my job. As far as I've gotten now is only happened over Christmas because I was on leave and their were no students.

I plan to do a GB1 Hero build with full lights and sound. I am also a newer member on GBfans and have read and continue to read the tons of builds for months before starting.

Now for the(just starting) progress pics!

I bought the straps off of ebay, the correct LC1 quick release strap and waist strap. The waist strap is plastic though but it works as a stand in until I can get a metal one. I live on a military base so off post there were plenty of surplus stores to check for the right LC1 Alice pack and sure enough I found one in pretty good shape. It was torqued a bit at an angle(may even have been run over at some point), but I was able to straighten most of it out and then once mounted that took care of what little was left.

I didn't start taking pics until I was almost done, so sorry for lack of them but for the spacers, I liked the idea of using the hockey pucks for them so I bought a set of 3 off ebay and went to work cutting them up to the sizes for the spacers seen in screencaps. I already have the bottom two on and here I think I just finished with the half moon spacer, or just finished tapping the hole for the center one.

I only had a hacksaw to use so I gave a little "extra" on the edges and then cleaned them up with my dremel. I still need to do a little more cleanup on the bottom two as I paid more attention to the half moon and getting a nice "trough" for the curve in the middle of the frame to fit into. Not the curve of the frame either, I mean the metal hump that runs up the middle of the frame.

20141231_205831.jpg

I tapped the the hole in the frame using just a hand powered tap and die set and I worked up from a 1/6"bit to 1/8", etc up to the 1/4". This wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and though it was slow going, I didn't mind lol. I need to replace the battery for my drill though as it's long since died and will not charge anymore.

Afterwards, I put on the straps, all except the kidney pack that I still need to buy the correct LC1 verison.

20141231_211529.jpg

And well, here she sits, just the Motherboard mounted to the frame, until I get a shell. I will continue to buy parts here and there though so that once I do get my shell I can continue to work at slowly and surely. You can see the few boxes of parts I have collected and consolidated together in the background on my "workbench".

I bought 1/4-20 bolts. 2" and 3" versions. I think I might use either the 3" or the 2.5" for the bottom though so I can mount the speaker on them. I wasn't sure how long they should be and they just barely thread the nuts completely.

20141231_211605.jpg

I guess that's it. I wish I had taken more pics while I was doing but I guess you just get so wrapped up in doing the steps you forget to take them lol. I can't wait to continue to build on this as much as I can't wait to power it up for the first time once complete.

Thanks for reading!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back