Building a BTTF Mr. Fusion (scaled down to 75%).

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have wanted something from Back to the Future for a while now to add to my collection and came across a model for a Mr. Fusion. Although the top coffee grinder portion does do come up on eBay from time to time, a full scale 1:1 would not fit in any of my display cases. So, I decided to scale it back to 75% and print it. Plus, even though it would be much more accurate I didn't want to pay $100 - $200 for a used coffee grinder. Sometimes I am into accuracy but for this, I am making it my own which will include opaque windows so that I can light it blue from the inside.

I will probably build some kind of base for it and create a tag with Mr. Fusion on it, but for now, here are the parts I have done so far. And yes, the colors are way off... I just started with some PLA that I had a lot of extra of, including this very bright yellow:

Base:

20200628_161949.jpg

Middle section and "coffee grinder"
20200628_161959.jpg

20200628_162027.jpg

The top is pretty easy to smooth out, but I hate sanding so I will probably resin coat the bottom portions but I am not 100% sure on that yet. I may print some very scaled-down parts for testing.

I forgot to print some of the latches and buttons at 75% so here are some full-sized parts that need to be scaled down and re-printed:

20200628_162134.jpg

Here it is fully assembled for now. I am waiting for a textured PETG compatible bed to show up so that I can attempt the 'clear' parts next.

20200628_162324.jpg

Upper and middle sections are primed and ready for paint.

Still not sure how I am going to handle the clear parts but I will figure out something.

The lower part that I coated in resin turned out amazing, so smooth!

20200705_140218.jpg

Really love the way enamels go down, super smooth and rock hard. I gave up on the clear parts, I will either fabricate something or have my friend see if it can be done with a resin printer.

20200706_224545.jpg

Painting the lower base black now and working on the hinges.

Just need to build the latch, get my clear parts, decals, and lighting. This is actually turning out to be a really fun build and turning out better than I right to :)

20200707_204114.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it appears so. I downloaded it from Thingiverse but it has the same author as the one you 'mentioned' so I will assume so, even the description is the same.

I am still waiting on my clear parts... My friend with the resin printer has not been able to get them printed, they keep failing. I may figure something else out soon if he can't get them done.

Printing out the clear parts is a pain. I printed the whole thing at about 10%, and used clear filament for the clear parts. The result is far from clear.

I should take a photo with a couple of Hot Wheels Deloreans and a Jada Nano Hollywood Rides for scale...

Printing out the clear parts is a pain. I printed the whole thing at about 10%, and used clear filament for the clear parts. The result is far from clear.

I should take a photo with a couple of Hot Wheels Deloreans and a Jada Nano Hollywood Rides for scale...

Nice, yeah, I have been unable to get that print working. I want to internally light the 'clear' part so I am not even worried about getting it that clear, just semi-transparent. The small shape of the sides and the hollow top is just not working. I have some quotes into a few places with resin printers so hopefully, I can get this finished up.

I have the latch assembly and other parts painted and ready... and I even have the lights ready to go.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back