BTTF Doc Brown Radiation Suit.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I'm a bit young to portray old Doc in his radiation suit but I am making the costume anyway. So far it's turning out pretty well. It isn't 100% accurate but it's got a good resemblance.

I bought 2 sets of disposable painters coveralls, the deluxe version by Kleenguard. I then used one set for fabric to add the trim details to the other suit.

I just need to add the rest of the collar and the pockets along with the symbol on the back. I also need to hem the sleeves and modify the pant legs to be more accurate.

Honestly I think I'm going to make this costume again in the future, but for now this one works. When I make an even more accurate version I'll use this version for the bulletproof vest Doc outfit.

Here is what I have so far.

Last edited:
Re: Doc Brown Radiation Suit project. Attempt 1.

Update! New pic. Got a decently close Hawaiian shirt and also finished up the front of the suit.

Re: BTTF Doc Brown Radiation Suit

Does anyone have any high res screencaps of the accessories on his suit? I know what his watches are but I need some good images of his toolbelt and the small pouch on his left side.

Here is his screen used belt and gadgets:

Dsc03237.jpg

Thanks! What movie is the from? The first one ?? I don't remember his belt on his radiation suit looking like that.

Small update. Started work on his chest pocket. I looked at several photos, screencaps, and even a picture of the original prop online and have decided to go with the pocket trim as being orange. In the screen used prop pic I found online it looks pink in the photo, but on all the film images and screencaps I've seen it looks orange. I'm assuming it just faded to a strange pink over time?

Anyway, here is the beginnings of his chest pocket. My sewing skills are not exactly outstanding, but I'm not pushing for perfection on this go around with this costume. I'm thinking of it as more of a sort of trail run like I mentioned in my first post.

Re: BTTF Doc Brown Radiation Suit Costume

The radiation suit is almost complete. Just need to add the symbol on the back of the costume and get the hair right. Also need to add the toolbelt and other accessories. I already have a Futaba remote control I'm going to use :) It's a red label one I'm going to print a green label for. The original label is gone anyway, just a little of the paint remains.

I scrubbed off what little was left of the original label using a magic eraser. Worked great!

attachment.php

Re: BTTF Doc Brown Radiation Suit Costume Update 5/26/12

Nice. BTW, the belt I posted is actually Griff's belt from Part 2. They had it mislabeled at the NIKE event.

you're welcome!
I took the pictures during a french expo and apparently it's the screen used suit and props !

those are some great shots of the original, thanks for the post : )

Well, it isn't accurate, but it at least looks the part. I'm part of a photoshoot at the end of the month and don't have time to wait for a remote kit to be produced so I started making look alike parts that I'll use temporarily for the shoot.

Here is how I made a decent look-a-like speedometer for the remote.

I bought a cheap dollar store pizza pan and cut it for the base plate for the readout. I bought a small black cardboard box to cut up and make a box for the readout section. I also purchased a small saftey light with three 3 LED lights in it and pulled off the green section covering the lights and trimmed the case down to fit inside the box I made for the fake readout. Then I cut up some black plastic from a cheap binder and printed out a template of the readout. I cut out ONLY the highlight areas on the black binder piece and then printed out another image of the readout from the film. With the image over the plate letting the light show through it sort of looks real. I also covered the LEDs inside with a small piece of an yellow envelop to defuse the light a little.

It looks good in low light in photos but bad when theres almost no light as only the small sections I cut out for the readout show.

Anyway, what do you think?

Re: BTTF Doc Brown Radiation Suit Costume Update 6/21/12

Have you been able to tell what's on the piece of paper in the pocket clip? It looks like a time zone map printed on newsprint (alternating shaded bars, with what looks like analog clock circles on the bottom), but my DVD copy is too blurry for me to tell.

You are right. It is a time zone sheet. Looks like it might be from a phone book. Still working on this project. Updates coming soon.

Made some progress on my Doc and have completed painting some shoes I picked up at Goodwill. They aren't Vandals but I made them into close-enough's.
102_1841bshoerpf.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back