Brushing clay into large lifesize 2-piece plaster mold for resculpting

MRBANANA101

TLDR: Seeking advice on a good method of casting clay in a large two piece plaster mold (about 4 - 5 ft tall) of a humanoid figure so that I can resculpt the clay

Hi all - I have a large plastic figure (about 4.5 feet tall) that I need to make a two part mold of and cast in clay so that I can do a bit of touchup work with the clay positive (before making a mold of that and casting in a more permanent material). I'm just about set on the idea of making a plaster mold of the original plastic figure (it's totally 100% fine if the original plastic figure gets destroyed in the process), but I'm at a bit of a loss of going from plaster mold to clay positive at such a large scale.

I intend on melting down either Chavant NSP or Monster Clay and brushing it into the two halves of the mold. Once each clay half is of a good thickness, I think I might press the two halves together? (still working this out...). The problem is, how can I remove the clay casts from the plaster mold without damaging the clay cast? (since usually if you do the reverse and make a plaster mold of a clay head for example, the clay doesn't pull out in one piece - you have to dig out big globs of the clay when you're trying to clean up the plaster mold... say I want to remove the clay one solid piece even if the plaster mold gets destroyed). I don't mind destroying the plaster mold in the process, just as long as I end up with a pretty good clay cast.

Also, since the figure is so large, I fear the clay cast won't be able to support itself and might cave in on itself. I'm not sure how I'd go about implementing an armature in a clay cast, or how tricky it would be, or if it's even necessary if I build up the thickness of the clay wall in the plaster mold to a good amount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll be doing experiments but I'm seeking some advice so I can start on a good foot. (also, I'm open to ANY ideas where this process might be a bad idea). Thanks!

side note: I could make a silicone mold of the original plastic figure and cast the clay in that, but that'd be INCREDIBLY expensive for a one-use throw away mold :(

I'm pretty sure your best bet would be to adjust your original plastic figure. If its solid you could grind away and refill with an oil based clay to resculpt the parts you want to change. If its hollow then warm an area with a paint stripper and push it in and add volume over the top. Trying to cast a 4.5 foot figure in clay hoping it will pull cleanly from a mold is the clinical definition of insanity.

Hope that helps.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back