Breaking in a crush cap? (TOS Jack Dalton)

Rogviler

EEn2Mkx.png

I've always wanted a hat like MacGyver's obnoxious buddy, so awhile back I lucked into a near-new one on the bay. I've already taken out the thick vinyl liner that was in the top and folded the front of the crown, and that helped some but it's still a little too perky. Anyone have some tips on breaking it in? I think the plastic square in the front may need some heat to stay really low and folded looking, but that was my only thought.

eAcEmUf.jpg

I know, it's not quite the right color, but I figure that's a fading issue that will sort itself out.

-Rog

Probably what I'm looking for is more of a costumer's trick. I could wear it around with a headset for a couple years, but people might start to talk.

I was just hoping there was one of those "soak it in _____ and then stick it in the _____ for two days, then drag it behind your car for three blocks" tricks. :)

-Rog

If the hat wool? If so, and the headset is what gives the hat the correct look, could you put the hat on a form with a headset and them steam the hat to block it to that shape? You would probably have to relax the fabric a bit after, and repeat a few times, but it might help the hat learn the correct shape faster.

Hmm, that's a good question. The only thing the tag said was that it was made in the USA, and I know some use cotton and some wool. I've gotten it fairly saggy on the sides, but as soon as I put it on that lifts the sides up. I'm thinking it's the interfacing between the outside and the liner, but I'd hate to tear it all apart and only manage to ruin it.

I might try something like the baseball glove trick-- some rubber bands and stuff it under the mattress, but probably no shaving cream. :) I'll report if I have any luck.

-Rog

Well, the cap badge is a USAAF WWII cadet badge, if that helps. To my eye all he's wearing is a enlisted peak without the stiffening in the rim. I think your hat is fine. Maybe take out the plastic piece altogether. Getting the "crusher" look in a non-crusher cap is always tough. I would just remove all stiffening.

Well, the cap badge is a USAAF WWII cadet badge, if that helps. To my eye all he's wearing is a enlisted peak without the stiffening in the rim. I think your hat is fine. Maybe take out the plastic piece altogether. Getting the "crusher" look in a non-crusher cap is always tough. I would just remove all stiffening.

I'm not sure what you mean. This one doesn't have any stiffening per se, just the plastic backing for the badge and whatever interfacing they used between the fabrics. This isn't the brand, but it's very similar to these other than the pattern on the band (mine has the style on their khaki hat):

http://www.uswings.com/product/wwii-usaaf-crush-caps/

Basically, the main problem is that the fabric is brand new rather than having the 50 mission crush.

I've been having okay luck with wetting it down and then folding it in half and securing with a clothespin for shape, but the fabric is still new looking. I did trim the plastic badge backer a bit more and that's helped to get it away from the SS officer look.

I did find the correct badge, but they come in many different sizes so I just have to do some measuring to figure out which one I need.

More experimenting...

-Rog

Maybe just fidget with it incessantly. Take it everywhere with you, throw it behind or under you in the car, mash it/roll it in one hand and then to the other hand and back and forth a bunch of times like that. Take a shower in it. Play frisbee with it. In-universe, Jack's hat has seen a lot of crap (or he wants you to think it has, he's a tricky one to pin down for the real story, LOL) so show it a lot of crap.

Place a headband or headphones over the hat on a head form or rubber ball. Steam with a series of spritzes from a hot iron. Continue until the hat is moist. Hit with a blow dryer on medium until dry. Do not burn!!! You can also do the same thing over a pot of rolling boiling water with heavy steam. If you want the front down, add some weight during this process. I have broken in many of my wool Civil War hats in this manner. They take and hold their shape even after wearing. For added breaking in, kick it around your garage floor until you like it!

Oh man, with all my car projects I would kill for a garage. :)

Good ideas, thank you. I was playing around with using rubbing alcohol, which I recall as being something people use to break in shoes, and that does seem a good way to wet-form fabric and have it dry more quickly. Will try some steam too. I just need to find something the right size to strap it to.

-Rog

I had a German crusher I broke in by wearing it in the shower till it was soaked, then placing it on a mannequin head with a set of headphoes over it and letting it dry. Worked beautifully. Not only did it form the crusher correctly, but it toned down that "new" overall look to the fabric. Just remember not to go too hot on the water as this can lead to shrinkage. You could always wear it on your own head with the headphones till it dries (if you can stand to do so)... then it will be formed perfectly to your noggin.

Some "kepi" have a plastic/wicker part in the seam around the top part of it. You'll see that that part has a seam at the back of the hat: undo the seam and look inside that fabric part to see if you see something. It's just a matter of pulling it out. There you go: floppy hat you'll have.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back