Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie Armor - Has anyone tried making this?

NEKROFANATIC

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's one of my holy grail props to have this set of armor. Seeing how I'm sure I'll never be able to afford it should it come to the market, I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried making it? Or would know how to go about making it?

I have the helmet (needs some good modding) and a replica of the right shoulder.

Anyone have any info?

I have the helmet (needs some good modding)

Which version? There's 3 that I know of- 1 has everything, the head part, the face mask and lobster tail on the back, the 2nd one has the face and head, but no lobster tail, and the third has the face and just the lobster tail. :wacko

-Sarge

hey Sarge...I have one of Wolf Morgan's (RIP) helms that took me forever and a day to get. It's not wearable at this point as it was cast in one piece as opposed to the wearable version he was supposed to send. It has the helm and faceplate cast as one piece w/ a separate lobster tail attached in the back. Came with a 'shoulder' stand and a ring. I figure I can cut the face plate away from the helm and make a few mods to make it wearable. Of course, I have zero skills, but I do love a challenge...

I do have a few pics of the armour (those widely available on the web), but I haven't truly delved into the construction aspect of it yet...

Thanks for the info MAc...I know Valentine armouries pretty well. Their metal suit is amazing and expensive (as it should be). That helm on yourprops is usually available on ebay from time to time. Not screen accurate but the face plate looks to be much easier detached than mine.

I too would (one day in the more financially stable future) love to obtain and or build one of these suits. I love the movie. I'm currently in the process of upgrading pieces of my Grey London street scene suit. I have a bunch of shots that I actually grabbed off of here somewhere of someone who owns a screenused helm. Not sure if I'm allowed to personally post someone else's pics, so I'll have to see if I can find and link the original thread.

*edit*
Here's one. Not the one I was looking for, but..
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=24577&highlight=Dracula+armor

Last edited:
I know the guys over at Valentine Armouries well, they made my suit, and I used to perform and do tournaments with them for a number of years.

They only ever made one Dracula suit, and it was a custom order. Unfortunately, the suit was lost in a house fire years ago.

To my knowledge, they've never made another one, but Rob Valentine would likely still have the patterns. That would be INCREDIBILY expensive though, there's a LOT of detail work that goes into it.

And yes, VA created the Elder armour and horse armour for Underwold II, as well as most of the Death Dealer Helmets. The regular Death Dealers wore leather armour moulded from the steel, that was made in Vancouver. There were also leather helmets made for the stunt guys.

More goodies as this has gotten me back on a Dracula kick.

Could this be the original maker of the armor?
http://www.brianbero.com/dracula.html

Also, a couple shots of the helmet posted here some time ago. I couldn't find the original thread with any combination of words, so perhaps it is gone. If the owner requests these removed, I will do so. These two show off the articulation in the headpiece.

More goodies as this has gotten me back on a Dracula kick.

Could this be the original maker of the armor?
http://www.brianbero.com/dracula.html

Also, a couple shots of the helmet posted here some time ago. I couldn't find the original thread with any combination of words, so perhaps it is gone. If the owner requests these removed, I will do so. These two show off the articulation in the headpiece.

No, just a (edit) less than upright honest guy....
The original maker is here:
www.globaleffects.com

The articulation is incorrect. All of these replica helmets are missing an additional piece that was added to the visor so it could pivot on the sides and the helmet "jaw" is split in front to get the head in. Note hinges on 2nd photo here. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=24577&highlight=Dracula+armor

Last edited:
The articulation is incorrect. All of these replica helmets are missing an additional piece that was added to the visor so it could pivot on the sides and the helmet "jaw" is split in front to get the head in. Note hinges on 2nd photo here. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=24577&highlight=Dracula+armor

Are the two pics in my last post not exactly as you described? It does indeed have the split jaw. Just curious. Again, I have no proof to back up the claim, but that one is allegedly a screen used or screen cast. I wish I could find the original thread.

If you're ever in Vegas the PH has the costume upstairs usually. Up towards the giant Dracula's castle model.
The PH?

planet hollywood
It's a copy. The one and only original complete suit is I believe at Coppalas Winery. in Northern CA.
Sorry I had not noticed the split jaw, yes, that is more or less correct, but the visor pivot is wrong, that helmet is missing the scabbed on piece.

Hey - that used to be my helmet! I sold it about a year or two years ago... can't remember. I had bought it from somebody in California (can't remember the name), who originally had purchased if from global effects directly.

He appeared to be pretty legit guy and his story checked out. He used to own a full Dracula armor (which he had originally purchased from global effects also at the same time he had purchased the helmet that I ended up with), which he sold off later through Profiles in History (for $25,000+, I think).

The helmet that went with THAT set of armor did also have the lobster tail - which the helmet he sold me, did NOT have, In fact - I would venture to say that none of the available Drac helmets out there do have a correct lobster tail (they are usually a fan-sculpt).

The helmet that I owned was supposedly cast from the production molds and fully built and finished at global effects. The mechanism/the hinges that allowed the faceplate to be lifted up and the jaws to be opened up, must have been an approximation of how the original hero helmet must have worked... I am saying this because even w/ the hinges and all the opening-action, the helmet is NOT wearable. Just to clarify - the helmet I owned was NOT a screen used piece or even a production piece - My guess is, the shop ran a few copies of the helmet and armor AFTER production on the movie closed, and sold them to fans to make some extra cash...

I always wondered whether the original helmet was cast from a flexible material instead of thick fiberglass - like mine was? Notice the scene in the movie, right in the beginning when Dracula comes back from the war, storms into the church and throws his helmet carelessly on the floor... that's the HERO prop/helmet! Either they didn't care if the helmet got busted - or - it was made from a more flexible/forgiving material... I am thinking, something along the lines of those 'rubber' 300 Spartan helmets maybe?

So - that's the the story... on my helmet. It ended up in very good hands... once in a while I miss the helmet... it's a cool design...

Hope this helps.

That would be Brion Bero who most likely sold you the helmet. I have been told he has recast that armour and the helmet you had most likely was a 2nd generation copy. You are correct that most helmets out there are missing the correct tail or all together. As for fit, Gary Oldman has a very small head and the helmet was sculpted to fit him very close.

The original was made in fiberglass, but thin, not like many film FRP pieces, which have a tendency to be comprised of too much resin and not enough glass. and no they didn't care, many repairs were made to the armour, which was originally to be made in a flexible urethane, but the shooting schedule was moved up and the "masters" had to be used for the heroe (and only) armour. Production did not want to pay for a second suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back