Brad Pitt's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Hawaiian shirt

joelgoodson

Sr Member
So like many out there I would love the same shirt. However, I read it was a custom. Wondering if Indy Magnoli could tackle this project?

1564716240193.png

Hawaiian Shirts like this either have to be fully custom printed ($260 shipped per shirt) or done in HUGE runs, which means in needs to be an uber-popular style.

Where did you read it was custom? It looks like an actual vintage shirt to me, which would be backed up by his stunt double wearing a different yellow Hawaiian shirt.

Looks vintage to me as well

I would start doing searches for Vintage Hawaiian shirts

Where did you read it was custom? It looks like an actual vintage shirt to me, which would be backed up by his stunt double wearing a different yellow Hawaiian shirt.

Cliff's Hawaiian shirt was written into the script ('old guy in a Hawaiian shirt'). What was the inspiration behind creating that look?
The Hawaiian shirt was written in the script, but the color, the pattern and what kind of shirt weren't. This is not a palm tree Hawaiian shirt. It kind of has more of an Asian — Japanese — motif and was inspired by a vintage shirt. The ones that Brad wore were custom-made and digitally printed. The color, yellow, was not written in the script. Quentin, Brad and I all put our heads together on that in the fitting room. We had a lot of shirts to choose from and as we were figuring out who this guy was.

It is probably from a designer brand because of his status so... yeah :/ You should go search Bugatchi which is a high pricing exquisite brand of shirts like that. Perhaps they have that.

It is probably from a designer brand because of his status so... yeah :/ You should go search Bugatchi which is a high pricing exquisite brand of shirts like that. Perhaps they have that.

no it's custom, see comment above.

Closest I could find is this one but it's sold out
1564766561095.png

That's really weird that they custom made it but only made one for Brad and not his stunt double.

If it was purchased or based on a real shirt, it would be from one of the Japanese Hawaiian shirt brands from the 60s. There were a few of them and their shirts are beautiful. They sell for a few hundred dollars now usually.

That's really weird that they custom made it but only made one for Brad and not his stunt double.

If it was purchased or based on a real shirt, it would be from one of the Japanese Hawaiian shirt brands from the 60s. There were a few of them and their shirts are beautiful. They sell for a few hundred dollars now usually.

I also believed it was vintage because the stunt double wore a different one! I’m surprised to read that it was custom made! Closest I had found was this women’s shirt. (I adjusted the colors in the photo to more closely match his)
9DA11964-C3DF-4BE1-8506-241ED680DD04.jpeg

I was also able to identify his sunglasses, boots, and black t shirt if anyone’s interested in that info! And while that article said his Levi’s were vintage, I’ve been quite certain they were LVC 1967 505 from the research I’ve done. I reached out to Levi’s a few months ago but didn’t get anything conclusive from them.

Last edited:
Alright, here are those few pieces I mentioned!
EF209B36-564D-46D5-A095-2FBA71650E45.jpeg

D9FE386D-63DA-4EEE-98A1-3D74027111AF.jpeg

The t-shirt is an LVC 1950’s Sportswear Pocket Tee, the boots are Minnetonka Two Button Softsole with the fringe cut off, and the sunglasses are vintage Foster Grant with different lenses.

I also have the vintage Wrangler jacket, and reprints of the Champion and Lions shirts. Also, his belt buckle was based on an old Al Shelton design and his watch is a vintage Citizen 8110 on a leather strap. (y)(y)

Hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend!

I collect Aloha Shirts and it looks like it could be a "Sun Surf" shirt, made in Japan. They make exact reproductions of Aloha shirts made in the 40's and 50's. I own a few and it looks like their "cut", meaning they fit tight and sit at the waist. It's definitely a Japanese motif.

If it's not a Sun Surf, then it's probably custom made from vintage fabric. I know Quentin has money to throw around, but I doubt he'd spend the cash to make a run of custom printed fabric.

So like many out there I would love the same shirt. However, I read it was a custom. Wondering if Indy Magnoli could tackle this project?

View attachment 1044149
6A70BE95-EB8E-4FC1-9E31-6D4DFE71EADB.png

Closest I could find on a vintage website. This definitely looks like the shirt they probably used as a spring board for the pattern and style.

View attachment 1044149

Sun Surf was the brand I was thinking of.

Custom printing fabric isn't expensive for a movie production, Some movies allocate a million dollars to the costumes. You could have a batch of this fabric to make a dozen shirts printed (in quality, not Spoonflower) for a few hundred dollars, which honestly might be less expensive than a single vintage Sun Surf shirt. The fact that his stunt double wears a different shirt still makes me doubt it was custom. It wouldn't be the first time misinformation was put out there, intentionally or otherwise.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back