Bracers - materials + construction

Hey all

Hope I am not bothering anyone. I'm kind of new at this, and I am not used to working with such materials.
I am trying to see about making these bracers (aka wrist/arm guards of sorts?). But I don't know which material to use. Leather or Vinyl? I am including some referance pictures at the bottom of what I am doing.
I have one attachment of various angles of the bracer. Then 2 pictures I incerted of a close up of the bracer and side patch

And along with the bracers is this "side patch" I have to do out of the same material. The base (bottom layer) seems rather thick. I figure the black is one peice and the design (color material) on top is abother peice that is dyed or painted and attached.
The color I would be using is a light blue, so I figure if I can't find the material in the color I need, I would have to paint it. These are just referance pictures I am including of all different angles of it. Hope you get an idea of what I am doing.

The underside seems a tad tricky due to the wrist buckles. But it almost seems as though that buckle peice wraps around the wrist, almost looking as though it's applied next to the top design (or maybe the buckle is hand made...). It almost looks like it's all one peice... if that makes sense.

I am totaly lost on what to do. And I know the whole thing snaps together. I would have to use 6 snaps pretty much. there is a peice of vinyl/leather that seems to be underneath it that they snap onto. I figure I would have to use the twizer or hammer kind of snaps.

I would have to glue the leather or vinyl together but it depends on what material I use as to how I would glue it.

I have tried researching this the best I could for hours to no avail, lol. So any insight would be great. I just feel as though I am running in circles. And I feel foolish most of the time in asking about these things, lol.
I just don't know what material would work best for these. And any advice on constructing it that anyone has would be great as well. As I said, I have never done this before. So all advice is welcome.

I am going to design the peices that I would have to make first. I think I will have to shape it to my forearm/wrist too, in the end. But I think I would do that after I apply everything so I don't run into problems.

I hope you kind of get what I am saying. Sorry that the referance pictures aren't the greatest.
If anyone has any advice on what to use and where the best place would be to get them, I am all ears. I am the type of person that likes to do things right, lol. So I thank you all for helping me out

Thanks...

sidepatch.jpg

bracercloseup.jpg

I think it's a matter of personal taste, and sense of quality. You could probably make them more easily in vinyl, but I would prefer the richness of leather for such a detailed bracer. Vinyl would feel "cheap" to me.

Skip the vinyl, it's just not going to look right. You could try using craft foam. I've seen some fantastic stuff done with that.

Leather would still be your best route though.

Thank you for posting the pictures. It is much easier to understand what you are looking for if pictures are included.

They look like leather to me. It seems that that would be my first choice. I don't know much about leather, but the cutting/tooling/gluing would appear to me to be easier/faster simpler than sculpting something, (twice, if the R/L bracers are not identical) molding it, and casting it in latex or urethane.

Craft Foam (Foamies) would be the cheapest way to go. The thickest foamies I have found is 3 mm. If you use two layers, one for the bracer, and one for the pattern, I think that would be a good start on this. Good luck.

it's easy to make a leather bracer, if you can't carve or tool it you could make the detail out of craft foam and glue it to the leather. Would probably be stronger than just the foam.

Thank you so much everyone for advice, I was wondering if I would get any advice, lol.

I try to always post pictures with my questions clonesix :) I am glad they are helpful, I just wish I had better pictures.

The whole latex thing boggled my mind. Someone suggested just doing layers upon layers of latex. But I couldn't see how it would look the same as these bracers.
I am the kind of person that has to do things accuratly and right, lol. And I trust all of your judgements the most.
I am uneasy and unsure about the latex.

The bracers are pretty Identical, BUT the differance is (and this is where I get really confused on how I am going to do this) is at the wrists with the buckle/strap. The buckle seems to be in the inner arm and the strap on the outer.
I don't know how those come into play. I thought maybe they were just part of that top pattern/layer. It doesn't look like they are sewn on at all, but rather part of it (if that makes sense)

So you think leather huh? I want to do these as accurate as I can. If you think leather is the way to go, then that is what I would look into.
Yeah, the base (black part) is thicker then the top part/pattern.
I figure I would use some contact adhesive to glue them together?
Would I ever have to worry about them coming apart?

Sorry, never really done this before.

Craft foam? I dunno. I know its great to use on things, but this looks like it's leather, I dunno.

I don't know what to do about the side strap and buckles. if it's leather then I guess when I cut the template of it out, I would cut where the buckle and strap is?? (and what would you recomend is the best to cut it with? I figured X-acto knifes)
Or do you think they were put on there somehow?

If I do it in leather, hopefully I can find the material in the light blue I would be doing mine in. But I think I have to "paint" the symbol that's on it anyway. So I guess I could paint the leather if I Can't find it.

Ugh, I feel like such an annoying newbie, lol, sorry.

Any and all advice I am MUCH thankful for :) thanks for the advice so far.
And if you know of any sites that might help me in doing this, that would be very helpful too. Then I wouldn't have to bug anyone, lol. :)
Thanks again :)

w

I'd also suggest craft foam. If not for the final product, as a good way to figure out how to put it all together. Easier and less expensive cutting up foam than pieces of nice leather.

I think that if you look up "Leather Works" in your local Yellow Pages, you can fine a leather smith and show him your pictures. They can beast advise you from there.

It appears to me that the pattern is a separate piece and contains the buckle/strap. I would imagine that if you are making these, that you would flip the pattern over when cutting the detail so that you have a right and left versions. Why?

Think of that strap like a watch band. If you wear you watch on the left wrist, then you need to fasten it with your (free) right hand (and visa-versa). If you try to put your watch on backwards and you will see what I mean.

Since it does not appear that there is a buckle on the rear of the bracer, I wonder how they fasten? I would imagine that they hook it, and then buckle it at the wrist.

I would suggest a 9oz leather for the bracers...basically you cut draw your design on with a pencil...take a leather swivel knife and lightly trace your design with the swivel knife and then with a a leather tool, i will take some pics of the ones to use tomorrow you just tool along the lines you cut with the swivel knife its fairly easy...get a double shoulder...it will give you enoigh to make about 8-10 bracers...and you will have plenty of scrap to practice your tooling and swivel knife carving....

clonesix - The bracers fasten with 6 snaps. In the pictures I showed you can see it in the one of the upturned wrist.
There is a peice of leather there that they snap on.
I think you are right about the buckles and straps being part of the top. I guess I will have to sew the buckle in and drill the holes.

seswa - that would be great. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll note the leather you suggested. looks like I am going to have to pick up some tools, lol.

Anyone have any suggestions on leather paint? I know for sure I have to paint the symbol on the bracers. Then I need to probably paint the top pattern.

I'll have to look around for the leather at some point then. All of your suggestions have been awsome. I have been keeping a record of everyhting, lol. So anything helps, thanks. I am still researching this and I still need to make up my templates though. I have been so busy.

Originally posted by mythic_lionheart@Apr 12 2006, 09:34 PM
clonesix - The bracers fasten with 6 snaps. In the pictures I showed you can see it in the one of the upturned wrist.
There is a peice of leather there that they snap on.
I think you are right about the buckles and straps being part of the top. I guess I will have to sew the buckle in and drill the holes.

seswa - that would be great. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll note the leather you suggested. looks like I am going to have to pick up some tools, lol.

Anyone have any suggestions on leather paint? I know for sure I have to paint the symbol on the bracers. Then I need to probably paint the top pattern.

I'll have to look around for the leather at some point then. All of your suggestions have been awsome. I have been keeping a record of everyhting, lol. So anything helps, thanks. I am still researching this and I still need to make up my templates though. I have been so busy.
[snapback]1225254[/snapback]​

go to tandyleather.com and request their catalog they have the lether dyes and paints in there they are whom i use...i can send you some scrap to practice on if you like...my husband makes professional wrestling belts for most of the promotions out there and has tons and i am not kidding tons of scrap around....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seswa @ Apr 12 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]1225398[/snapback]</div>
go to tandyleather.com and request their catalog they have the lether dyes and paints in there they are whom i use...i can send you some scrap to practice on if you like...my husband makes professional wrestling belts for most of the promotions out there and has tons and i am not kidding tons of scrap around....[/b]
Sorry about my lag there in replying, things have been crazy in my neck of the woods, lol. (not to mention finals coming up here)
Thank you very much, that is a great site :)
I think my dad has some spare leather I can practice on. Thank you very much for the offer.. You have been very very helpful :)

I just need to find where to get the leather, contact adhesive for glueing the top pattern ontop of the other, and then see about getting something to put the snaps in.

Every bit is helpful, so thank you to everyone who offered any information. I am always all ears.. :)

Ok, I have a question, I know the bottom black layer is thick.
I got the catalog today seswa, and I know you said 9oz which I agree with for the bottom layer.
So would I want to get something like black oak-leaf for the bottom and then live oak for the top layer to dye? sorry just a little confused on what to get.
I did see the Black Finished Double shoulders material, which looks like it would work well for the bottom layer.

I figure line 24 snaps would work fine to snap the bottom layer.

You think 7oz for that top layer? I am not sure. I just assume I could make the side patch and the bracers out of the same materials with the same thicknesses.

If anyone has any advice on the thickness and what type of leather to get that would be great.
And I have no idea what to get to do the buckle at the wrist. I figure any fabric store would have the small belt buckles I need?

Sorry about the questions, I just honestly don't know, lol.
Thanks everyone for your help though :)

I think I can get more pictures around here if anyone needs more referances, thanks

actually, now that I look at it, it almost looks as though the symbol in the circle is just a thin layer of another peice of leather???
What do you guys think?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back