Boushh Thermal Detonator

No problem Obi!

So, thanks for the replies on the possible culprits and I am not sure if thats the case, well the temperature or humidity might....however, what you saw above happened almost instantaneously, which is why I stopped what I was doing and thankfully didnt paint the entire bottom half.

I got to sanding, started with a 150 grit and then a 320.....spent about an hour sanding and sadly I can still see the wrinkles a little bit. Not sure if there was a chemical reaction but I sanded it down as much as I could without taking too much of the surface off and re-primed it. It doesnt look half bad, not as smooth and shiney as I had it the few days before but Im a novice at this and have a feeling this is probably the best Im going to get if I want to finish this project anytime soon. Still gotta put on a high gloss coat before the chrome-effect. I will try to snap some pictures with the progress.

WOW awesome skills dude
lol wish I had awesome painting skills :$

So, minor victory....well for me. I am not sure what is going on, Ive tried changing paints, tried waiting for a less humid day and the top half continues to wrinkle up after putting a glossy coat. I will sand it down one last time and re-prep but Im going to take the next paint layer as I get it and use the imperfections as character of my piece *sigh*

Anyhoo, back to my minor victory!
DSC02082.JPG

Its not perfect but I think it looks decent, esp seeing how much trouble I had getting to this point.....going to take the minor victories as I can get them! I do like how the seam and screw hole removal turned out, looks pretty solid :cool

I plan to let this dry a day or two and add another layer before adding some gold 'chrome' spray to weather it a little. I do plan on trying it out on a scrap piece to see what it looks like first ;)

I did change to a different glossy black primer, I used a Rally Chrome paint primer. I decided to go from the gloss chrome primer to the chrome and skipped the extra clearcoat due to the amount of trouble I have already had just getting these parts painted in the first place. Im wondering if its the humidity causing this or maybe Ive used too much paint and the old paint is reacting to the new....even though Ive sanded it between attempts. I am a novice with spray paints so I am at a loss on how to fix my issue.

Last edited:
Ok so finally got to painting again! After reviewing several tutorials by GordonTarpley, I used his methods....well what I could, sadly I am working on getting a good airbrush and have been unsuccessful in getting my hands on some Alclad chrome. However, despite my lack of the same paints that he used, his methods seem very sound! I decided to keep the 'wrinkled' basecoat as I am not sure if the sanding and repainting is causing the surface to react to each other. Plus I think it adds a little character to my TD.

Anyhoo, with that here is what the black gloss paintcoat looked like after using some polishing compound.
DSC02314.JPG
That came out 10x better than when I tried the same black gloss primer followed by a high gloss topcoat.

So after letting that sit for a few days while waiting for the weather approved I finally got 4 coats of chrome spray paint laid down.
DSC02325.JPG
DSC02328.JPG
DSC02329.JPG

Going to let these dry for a few days before handling them, hopefully this will stick and I wont need to add the high gloss topcoat.

So after months of work, well, most of it waiting for parts/paint, ect. I think I am done!

So far I think it turned out great! I will take some pictures soon, not sure about today as its raining. However, I was able to record a video on the the finished product. This is the first time I have ever tried to do a video so please, be nice ;)

Let me know what you all think!

Please, please give me feedback, on the project and the video. Also if you have any questions at all, please ask :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thats odd. I set it to unlisted and yet it switched to private. Sorry about that, hope it works now!

:thumbsup

EDIT: Aaaand SERIOUSLY great job on that upgrade. I bought one of these at Disney, expressly for the purpose of [eventually] modding it for screen-accuracy, but your project went above & beyond anything I had been thinking about. Bravo, sir.

Last edited:
It looks great. I was looking at the picts of the real prop on display and idealized AFB replicas and IMHO, I think it would look better if you went with a slightly darker gray color (not so metallic/metal looking) on the switch and the center section. It needs to be more distinguishable from the top and bottom half. I would also recommend that when it is all put together, you do a black wash in the center section, it and let it settle near the halves so it is darker at the top and bottom borders. This should help make the center section look deeper set.

It's a great build, especially how you reworked the internals.

Wow, very impressive! I've been thinking about picking one of these up to mod, but you blew away what I was thinking of doing.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back