Bondo question.

LogansRunner

Hey everyone, this is the first time I would like to use bondo. Now my question is, what types of materials can bondo bond with, this may bo a stupid question though. :p
I ask because I've been working on those wolverine claws, and I would like to finish those up pretty soon and the weather is getting better and I would like to paint them fairly soon. So the claws are made from a sheet plastic 4 mm thick, and I would like to know if the bondo will stay off, and if I have to worry about it cracking or anything. The reason I'm going to use the bondo is because there is places on the claws I would like to fill in etc.
-Thanks for any help.

Hey Sal long time BUB????

Bondo will bond to just about anything, Even you- so please be carefull .Plastics [ good for sabers] and metal [ hehe they use it on cars]

If the places you need filled aren't too big you could try filling it with baking soda then adding some thin superglue. This will bond to almost anything and it is a very hard filler.

I agree. Bondo is very heavy and can be brittle, and it's not the most adhesive substance out there. Gel type super glue on the other hand, can fix a world of woes, specially with a good accelerator or a mister filled with water on hand.

~ GM

And if the cracks are wide you can try JB Weld. Comes in a 4 minute version or a longer set version (24 hrs).

Most importantly with the Bondo be sure to scuff or sand the surface that youre applying it to for adhesion or it make simply flake back off.

Richie

Also if it can flex than don't use bondo.
It will pop right off.
It also doesn't hold up to punishment of being knocked around.

Use some sort of epoxy putty.

If you need something really strong than go to Lowes plumbing dept. and get the epoxy putty that has steel in it. (comes in a stick)

D6

Alright I'll check this stuff out. I don't think I'll have to worry about the bondo flaking off because the plastic I used doesn't really bend it is quite strong in fact.
-Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by division 6@Mar 21 2006, 03:52 PM
Also if it can flex than don't use bondo.
It will pop right off.

I have that experiance too..
I used it on my Fett gauntlets, and as they are ABS... no good.

But it's perfect on resin and sintra to build up and as a filler.

Whenever a project calls for Bondo. Don't use it. Use "Evercoat" instead. There's a 'metal glaze filler' for metal, a 'gel kote' for fiberglass, and a 'polyester glazing putty' to use on plastics, wood, etc. THIS STUFF ROCKS Bondo's A$$.

Evercoat. By Spishak. (not really)

I've only used the polyester one. Seems to me it is much stronger then Bondo, goes on better, and sands easier. Of course I could just be a fan.

pic8bj.jpg

Originally posted by ~Sal~@Mar 21 2006, 07:16 PM
Can you buy that stuff at a local Value, or Home Depot?
[snapback]1210287[/snapback]​
Here's an old pic of one of the claws
siriuswolvie2.jpg

Some of the other 5 need some major filling, just wanted to post that pic so everyone knows what I'm talking about. :)

I would "personally" suggest a bit more filing and sanding to get it as close to finished as possible before adding other materials to it.

The closer to being finished in the original material the less work to do to get it glassy smooth and beautiful with other mediums.

my 2 cents

D6

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back