Body Suit

mnading

Hello, I'm new to all of this. I am a police canine instructor and am looking for ideas on how to make a realistic bite suit that goes underneath clothing. It needs to have the texture and feel of skin but be thick enough to keep dog teeth from puncturing. I understand that this could be kind of a painful thing but it is necessary to make sure that the dogs do not fail in the street. All bite suits that are out there are made of jute or a course synthetic material that is no way close to the feeling of real tissue. So dogs that are only trained on these suits run the risk of failing on the street when they actual try to apprehend a real person. Unfortunately I cant get real people to volunteer for bites so I need to make something that is similar. If you have any ideas please help. If you have any questions about what im trying to do please ask.

Welcome to the RPF!

Just off the top of my head, you might experiment with covering the existing suit with liquid latex (cheaper route) or rtv silicone (more expensive route.) I doubt either would stand up to a lot of wear & tear, but it could be re-applied as needed.

As a housekeeping measure, you might PM a mod and ask them to move this to the costume sub-forum. It would fit better there.

And thank you for doing a pretty thankless job.

The bite suits I have seen on TV are big and bulky as to save the wearer's arm from getting bitten or dislocated. I've also seen clothing worn over top of them and to say the least, it looks odd. I'm thinking the dog might think so too and also only attack perpetrators that are obese and poorly dressed.
However, wouldn't a thin layer of flesh colored leather be an idea? After all, it is skin, just not human.

TazMan2000

the leather would have to be really hard and stiff to withstand the bite of a Shepard, hard enough that it could hurt the dog. My brother in law trains German Shepards in the German Army, he says they use a type of carbon fiber exo suit with a type of ceramic armor, from the pictures he wont let me post they remind me of old leather archers armor with the steel squares in them, replace the steel with a hard ceramic.

I was also thinking carbon fiber layer inside somehow bonded to a dragon skin or similar silicone layer externally to give a skin feel/fleshiness? Are you a fan of the mythbusters? There are numerous episodes where they make different types of human analogues (and Adam made a bite suit once, but for different purposes.). Also wondering if you need the entire suit or maybe just the appendages to be made this way? Thanks for helping to keep us safe out there!

Re: Bite suit

Interesting. There are certainly ways to do this-- silicone parts are in use in the medical field to practice incisions, injections, etc.

Silicone is heavy and expensive. And your person is going to look a bit thicker all over, which might interfere with how big an arm or leg is for the dog to be able to wrap his bite around.

I'd suggest creating limbs or torso of gel-filled appliances, probably of skin-safe material or food-safe for the dog's mouth. Underneath I'd certainly suggest still keeping with some form of your current system of puncture prevention-- I know you can even purchase and sew Kevlar, though I don't know if those fibers would actually do squat against canine tooth puncture.

Skin-realistic silicone will certainly give the dog the proper visceral feedback, but what goes along with that, is, well, he's going to chew it up and possible still get a piece of the real person beneath. So you'd either need to make the suit thicker than his teeth are long and hope that pads the blow enough, or go with the current protection solutions you have and add the "flesh like" layer over it.

Check out these resources and see if they are remotely in line with anything you had in mind:

http://www.smooth-on.com/video_play.php?video_id=fGNnZxs3NdI

http://www.smooth-on.com/faq_display.php?faq_id=25

Ok I got an idea of how to make this work. Im wanting the silicone to stick to whatever material I decide to use underneath. For this would I just not put an under coat of the releasing agent on the material? How well do yo think that would bind to the material?

Ok I got an idea of how to make this work. Im wanting the silicone to stick to whatever material I decide to use underneath. For this would I just not put an under coat of the releasing agent on the material? How well do yo think that would bind to the material?

Silicone will end up adhering to fabrics really well, as the liquid form of it will seep between threads and then cure around it. You'll be able to glue silicone to fabrics with more silicone.
Source: I have lots of ruined t-shirts with silicone spots.

- - - Updated - - -

Silicone will end up adhering to fabrics really well, as the liquid form of it will seep between threads and then cure around it. You'll be able to glue silicone to fabrics with more silicone.
Source: I have lots of ruined t-shirts with silicone spots.

You could use EVA foam 10 -15mm thick to create limb covers. just coat it in liquid latex. The foam would probably have the same compressibility as human muscle, and the latex has a similar tear strength to human skin. Dirt cheap process too. Can also be repaired by repainting with additional latex.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back