Blakes 7 ORAC, part ideas?

Marnok

I'm stuck at the moment on the clear plastic ring around the outside of the globe inside Orac, the one with the lights attached.

It looks to me to be a 250mm acrylic ring, about 32mm deep. Seems quite thick walled, maybe 5mm? So I don;t think it is just sheet bent to shape.

To avoid having to bend anything, can anyone think of a way to get plastic that size and shape? (obviously at this point google hasn't saved me)

Hi!
To me it looks like big seam lines from the sphere edges. If you wanna simulate this, maybe you can cut off edge from some clear container, like a bucket, or just cut a ring out of clear sheet.

If you do a build log, I'd definitely follow it - I've always wanted to do an ORAC. It's a great prop basically made up acrylic tubes, shapes, colored strips, some lights and a few circuit boards in a clear box - but it looks awesome.

This is one prop I am keen to do in the near future, so I am interested in reading about your progress.

With plastic spheres, I have found that you can find two half spheres on sale that were destined for Christmas DIY ornaments. I am using a smaller one on my Star Wars Scrubber Droid, but they do sell larger ones. That may be a solution...

Smiles, Izzy

Has there ever been a canonical list of orac parts (number/size of the the acrylic tubes and parts, domes and where the chip/button/circuits came from) or a proper schematic/blueprint done?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back