Blade Runner TDK sign

MWilson

Hi everyone!

Im a new member to the RPF but you guys and your amazing community inspired me so much that I decided to start a blade runner collection. I was doing some searching online and came across a small led TDK just like from the iconic tears in rain scene and thought that I could tackle this project. Ive never done anything like this before but I wanted to do it for as cheap as I could and the whole thing ended up only costing $35 and it only took me three days to finish. For some background I'm currently in school and studying to be a lighting designer, so this project was perfect for me.
IMG_9804.jpg

IMG_9808.jpg

IMG_9810.jpg

IMG_9816.jpg

IMG_9817.jpg

IMG_9821.jpg

IMG_9820.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9840.jpg

Thanks for checking it out, hope y'all like it!

I like the effort for sure:). I would've used a stronger type of medium (cardboard). I know, it's difficult to achieve good round corners (like the ones you did) when it's thicker but it wont buckle or "wave" when painted. A trick also is to paint both sides of your paper/cardboard to avoid buckling/waving;)

I like the effort for sure:). I would've used a stronger type of medium (cardboard). I know, it's difficult to achieve good round corners (like the ones you did) when it's thicker but it wont buckle or "wave" when painted. A trick also is to paint both sides of your paper/cardboard to avoid buckling/waving;)
Thank you for the advice, as I said this was my first time ever trying to build a prop so Ill definitely keep working at it!

No probs, as you know there`s a few ways to make light boxes. Choices of materials are numerous and also the kind of tools you have at your disposal. Using colored vinyl atop a transparent medium (plexi) and lights behind it can give you very good results also. ;)

Hi everyone!

Im a new member to the RPF but you guys and your amazing community inspired me so much that I decided to start a blade runner collection. I was doing some searching online and came across a small led TDK just like from the iconic tears in rain scene and thought that I could tackle this project. Ive never done anything like this before but I wanted to do it for as cheap as I could and the whole thing ended up only costing $35 and it only took me three days to finish. For some background I'm currently in school and studying to be a lighting designer, so this project was perfect for me.
View attachment 1423255
View attachment 1423256
View attachment 1423257
View attachment 1423258
View attachment 1423259
View attachment 1423260
View attachment 1423261
View attachment 1423262
View attachment 1423263
View attachment 1423264
View attachment 1423265
Thanks for checking it out, hope y'all like it!
That's a great addition to your display, what did you use to light it up?

I used some led strip lights that I picked up for around $10, I was able to get it cheaper because it didn't need to be color changing.
Ah, thought so. I was also going to mention for future lightboxes you can use opaque tape like duct tape to stop the light from escaping out the sides, or even reflective tape on the inside to keep the light inside. Hope you keep adding to your display, please keep us posted as it grows.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back