Limited Run Blade Runner Blaster "Mini" - 3D Printed Kit

NeoRutty - looking forward to your report on technique - I have this awesome kit waiting in the wings!

Yup I did a crazy sanding pass, til I could only see faint lines that I was having too hard a time completely sanding away... so I tried spraying it flat black to check, and yeah, those faint lines stood out.

So I'm spraying a test with "filler primer" from rustoleum, see if those lines dissapear, if not, I'm going to try wet sanding and another coat.

Once I'm happy with that (would know tomorrow) I'll hit it with black again and see how it turns out. I think this should work.

Then I have a paint technique I think I learned from Justinian (?) with his John Wick guns.

I love this kit... HATE SANDING.

I can be super picky, but have no real tools or place to build... so if I can get this looking good with no special tools, just sand paper and a box to spray paint in, anyone can do this kit.

This is with an insane amount of sanding, 220 grit, 400 grit (I believe)... then sprayed it black when all seemed smooth. The lines were still coming in faint enough I could see, so I sprayed with filler primer (rustoleum) wet sanded with 2000 grit, then hit it again. When dried i lightly went over with 2000 grit again..

Next I’ll hit it with flat black... however it turns, I think, will have to be good enough.... I’m going to finish it with graphite powder, so if anything is left after, it’s beyond my patience! Heh.

These are just the parts that should look metal. I wanted to get these altogether before plastic parts.

All that said, this is the first kit of anything I’ve worked on in years, and is turning out awesome. Love this kit. Can’t beat price for what could come out of it.

Tomorrow I have to drive out half an hour to find graphite powder... why is this so hard to get in Canada?

Anyway, “metal” pieces aaaaaaalmost ready for glue down....

There are a few flaws I’m hoping will smooth out when everything is set and graphite powder rubbed on... not sure how much I’m weathering it yet... if at all... so want the option of looking best I can get it.

(Sorry if this is hijacking sales thread, just thought may help others interested in this kit as a beginner with this stuff...)

Tomorrow I have to drive out half an hour to find graphite powder... why is this so hard to get in Canada?

Anyway, “metal” pieces aaaaaaalmost ready for glue down....

View attachment 1034124

There are a few flaws I’m hoping will smooth out when everything is set and graphite powder rubbed on... not sure how much I’m weathering it yet... if at all... so want the option of looking best I can get it.

(Sorry if this is hijacking sales thread, just thought may help others interested in this kit as a beginner with this stuff...)

Awesome notes! Thanks - this is looking fantastic!

This is with the graphite powder and sealed with duplicolor matte clear

It’s a little soft edged after all the sanding and painting, but looks pretty good.

Next is all the “plastic parts” which should make the more flat “steal” parts look better.

Still not sure about shining up the grips. Brasso did nothing.

Last edited:
Finished!

Overall happy. Never painted anything like this... barely ever paint. Did it in a tiny apartment with spray paints.

Didn’t do the leds yet... gonna need a soldering gun and such for it... and also need to learn to use one.

Again, great project.

52FEFDF9-7EB2-4176-89AE-699A23980043.jpeg
E3F0A929-5659-43D8-8704-7604B809338B.jpeg
C6414C6D-B4A6-4D4A-A674-8DCC2EB8F075.jpeg
99DCA5DF-A3E4-40A3-9A12-EDDB2C605686.jpeg
5F3444CD-0C59-430C-95D8-722648B80D32.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back