Blade Runner Blaster (?) in new death note movie

The art was only ever designated as "L's" gun. After Ray did the initial art, I made a lot of changes to the initial design to take into account mechanical challenges as well as add to the Blade Runner feel. Initially, they wanted an open revolving cylinder. I wasn't completely feeling that look so I added covers to both sides to hide the revolver's cylinder just like on Deckard's gun. I think Ray would even agree that enhanced the look considerably.

This Is just my humble opinion. but I think this gun should have its own thread created by you Kenney. background story/build etc. the people need to know that this would be a collectors Item. and well worth what it takes to get this to a run thread. just my two cents.

still wishing the phaser would had come to fruition ....

Correct me if I am wrong.... I understand that the BR Blaster is sometimes called a PKD Blaster.... after Phillip K Dick ?
So I started naming my files KPD Blaster after Kenney Palkow.

Has a nice ring to it maybe?

Correct me if I am wrong.... I understand that the BR Blaster is sometimes called a PKD Blaster.... after Phillip K Dick ?
So I started naming my files KPD Blaster after Kenney Palkow.

Has a nice ring to it maybe?

That does have a ring to it!

The art was only ever designated as "L's" gun. After Ray did the initial art, I made a lot of changes to the initial design to take into account mechanical challenges as well as add to the Blade Runner feel. Initially, they wanted an open revolving cylinder. I wasn't completely feeling that look so I added covers to both sides to hide the revolver's cylinder just like on Deckard's gun. I think Ray would even agree that enhanced the look considerably.

This is also a fine example regarding design vs the practical realities of making something work within time and money. The director had signed off on a design that called for a smooth cylinder but the time and cost of fabricating a custom working cylinder like this on time and on budget was a problem. The covers (among other things) Kenney suggested were an appropriate and viable solution to this and helped retain and enhance the look and feel of this piece.

But Ray that's not entirely true, brother. My cylinders and covers systems did work and function and fired blanks. The issues I had with this design was the prop master wanted it all machines out of stainless steel and polished in a ridiculous time frame. I would have had to do 5 axis programming and I just didn't have time to set up my trunnion for that.

Oh, plus originally we were using live fire guns. The geometry of the design would mean I would need to machine custom cylinders. So, that is probably what you're referring about. No way I was going to do that on the time and budget. But then, they through the monkey wrench in at the last minute and needed to have the guns go between the US and Canada and the prop master literally asked me to solve that problem without dealing with import/export ****. Lol

So, that's why I ran with my custom PFC guns. Then I made the changes to your initial design.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Ray... I like the KPD Blaster. Does actually sound cool. Not sure I like the "dick" part of it but hey... I've been called worse. I like it. I think Ray's recommendation is cool.

Prop Master: "Change international firearms laws for me." Lol, and I thought my clients had ridiculous requests. The D also stands for "series D" as in "Pflager-Katsumata Series D." It was Rick Ross' addition to the lore when he made up his blaster kits. So yours can be the Kenny Palkow Series D :cheers

That's right.... Rick did that. Another buddy of mine reminded me of that. Well, as soon as I'm done with my later late late dinner, I'll start the new thread. If you guys are interested in the entire story of the development of this gun, I'll have Ray start off the discussion then with all of his goodies and back story. I'll let him share his concept art if he wants. Then we can dive into my part once it was handed off to me. Which the physical engineering and development of the gun. Ray, I know you're new here so make sure you watermark your art before posting. I'll start the new thread in a bit.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back