Blade Runner 2049

Re: Blade Runner Sequel

As with 2010: The Year We Make Contact this film will probably be just OK and be forgotten.

Denis Villeneuve is directing the film, and frankly that gives me a lot of hope for something good. While I would rather Scott directed it, as I think he's still a viable creative storyteller, I understand that he would rather make Alien. Hey, most of us will be droolling on ourselves in a nursing home when we are 78. He's still making films and I have a lot of respect for that.

I have enjoyed every one of Villeneuve's films. Sicario was one of my favorite films of 2015. He a damn good filmmaker. They didn't hire some kid right out of film school who's going to make a flashy looking crapfest.

I guarantee this will be stuffed with action beats - which makes it instantly unlike Blade Runner.
No studio is going to back a film with the pacing of the original film. They want a trailer chock full of hand-to-hand fighting, Blade Runners with guns blazing and sexy gyrating pleasure replicants.

Exception to the rule: Mad Max Fury Road.

was just going to jump on that...! :D

- - - Updated - - -

I guarantee this will be stuffed with action beats - which makes it instantly unlike Blade Runner.
No studio is going to back a film with the pacing of the original film. They want a trailer chock full of hand-to-hand fighting, Blade Runners with guns blazing and sexy gyrating pleasure replicants.

Needs a scene in a stadium with a bunch of Bladerunners surrounded by a bunch of Replicants...

And all the Bladerunners have PKD Blasters... and they're all shooting at once... and also doing spins and jumps while they shoot.

It's like poetry... it rhymes.

I will be absolutely shocked if they do not manage to totally screw it up. That's just a guaranteed given with any remake these days and with Blade Runner there truly is so much big shoes to fill. Even if done well, it would be virtually impossible to outdo or equal, much less surpass, the original in any way whatsoever. And to simply re-make the original, much in the same way JJ Abrams has done with Trek and Wars would surely do no justice, nor serve any purpose whatsoever. They will have to take some totally new step and direction with the story and it needs to be more dark and gritty than the original and we all know that's probably too big of a risk for a major studio. I'm sure it will become an over the top action movie with just enough dystopia in the mix to appease a lot of original fans. Unfortunately that's the concrete Hollywood formula. They will simply try and remake the original in some more modern, more "hip" way, full of youthful anecdotes and needless over the top action scenes, all with just enough of a story to barely hold the film together, a story that will be too easily digestible so as to maximize profits out of the automaton world we live in. I really want to see it but I already know it's going to suck. And again, even if it doesn't, it will be a miracle if it will equal the original in any way.

Last edited:

It's not a remake, it's a sequel and according to persisting rumors with Ford as Deckard again.

While it may not literally be a remake, I can imagine it'll turn out as well as "Total Recall". It just won't be the same. Heck, even the original was out of step with it's time. You definitely can't make a movie like that now.

I would be in favor of a Blade Runner television series that didn't feature any of the principal characters from the original film.

People will eat their words like a cheap soggy sandwich abandoned in a dank gym locker :D There! I said it...

First good point: Hampton Fancher! Please, watch the behind the scene on BR Director's cut and see him talk about his ideas and the movie. Philosophy + Poetry + Romanticism.

Second good point: Denis Villeneuve! Big fan of BR and didn't want to do the movie in the first place (too much pressure: Ridley had set the bar way high with this one) was

convinced by reading the screenplay and the backing of many people behind the production of the sequel. I'm eager to see the first pics!

The thing with going back to Deckard seems so very wrong.
The film was many things including film noir, I deeply think that we are not supposed to know his or Rachael's fate beyond that film.
Even a short cameo is to me moving into deal breaker territory. I'm I alone on this?
And is this to be another replicant story? If so.. why?

You won't see him for most of the movie. You'll hear he started training a new generation of blade runners, but a replicant infiltrated the program, destroying the whole thing. He walked away from all of it. Now a renegade replicant and a scrappy young trainee are on a quest to find him and stop Tyrell Corp. and their unpredictable and dangerous Nexus 13 replicants before their first order can be shipped... Wait, where have I heard that before?

was just going to jump on that...!

- - - Updated - - -

Needs a scene in a stadium with a bunch of Bladerunners surrounded by a bunch of Replicants...
And all the Bladerunners have PKD Blasters... and they're all shooting at once... and also doing spins and jumps while they shoot.
It's like poetry... it rhymes.

Sounds just like the scene on Geonosia from SW AotC.... Lucas' formula for a better Star Wars: more Jedis + more lightsabers = awesome sauce.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back