Blade Runner 2049

Re: Blade Runner Sequel

If Vangelis does not want or is not asked to do the score, they can simply ask this guy, give him a bag of money and leave him to it, and he will come up with something out of this world. This guy is superior to anything Clint Mansell or any other bigshot composer could come up with.
No need for big name composers, just go with this guy, he knows what he is doing and will make the sound of Blade Runner without even trying. You want the sound of Blade Runner to continue? Then go with this guy and see that sound continue naturally without any effort whatsoever.

Unless they want some generic modern crappy sound, this guy is the only real choice other than Vangelis himself.

So do you like this guy?

Okay, since this topic popped back up, and since BRII may be on the horizon after all, I have to ask a question in relation to the first film. Has anyone ever attempted to watch all five versions of the film (theatrical cut, international cut, director's cut, work print and final cut) back to back? I mean, I get that everyone has a version of the film they like, but has anyone attempted such a thing before, a "Blade Runner Challenge" if you want to call it that?

Okay, since this topic popped back up, and since BRII may be on the horizon after all, I have to ask a question in relation to the first film. Has anyone ever attempted to watch all five versions of the film (theatrical cut, international cut, director's cut, work print and final cut) back to back? I mean, I get that everyone has a version of the film they like, but has anyone attempted such a thing before, a "Blade Runner Challenge" if you want to call it that?

I've done it! Bought the HD-DVD which comes with all five versions and after two I.... quit. So I failed, quite miserably :p

I've watched three versions over a period of about a month, as I upgraded to a better blu-ray home cinema system last year.
I didn’t ever have many problems with the first 1982 release, because it simply mesmerised me at that time, so much so it remains one of the few films I ever wanted to see twice in one week. Yes there were the errors, but unlike today where we can simply stick a DVD in and deconstruct a movie frame by frame at our considerable leisure you just didn’t have the time or places like the internet to share that information or observation , so that was it for the next three odd years until it came out on the TV or was finally released to video. A little more like four months now and you can download recent releases for a modest subscription fee over the net.
So I’m fond of that voice over, and even the happy drive away ending, but I still absolutely hate the “Dove to the blue sky above” moment that makes you go “what the f…????” Yet it still remains a sublimely designed and brilliantly imagined piece of sci cinema, one of a very rare kind.
The Directors cut didn’t hugely change that much for me either excepting that there is of course a much stronger emphasis towards Deckards “possible” origin story and the narrative and visual hints make the tone and story more ambiguous and complex. It’s a more cerebral affair, a much sharper and mature piece . But given that I’d rewatched the movies so often now I wasn’t preferentially disposed to either version, as nearly all of the elements in both films seem true to each of their edited versions.
What really surprised and some what shocked me before I watched the “2007 Final Cut” Blu-ray version was the brilliant “Dangerous Days” documentary. The amount of outtakes and deleted scenes in that would have hugely altered my opinion of the film, from the “missing” replicant,the Holdens hospital scenes, and other storylines that disappeared would have massively affected the final version, had they been included.
So even when I watched the 2007 edition for the first time on a widescreen HDTV after it I wasstill unprepared for just how stunning enhanced the film was. The sheer amount of detail and design within the sets and the visuals IS breath taking. All the VE shots are so detailed and superior to either of the other versions, small additions and alterations have been made that add surprising depth and dimension to landscapes and sets, all the old “errors” have been eased and replaced most particularly that horrible “dove” shot. And when you understand just what was happening during the original making of it and see that final cut, you realize just what a masterpiece it actually is.
Which is why I’m more than slightly nervous about the sequel. Its got a hell of alot to live up to.

I've seen:

- the Director's Cut
- the International Cut
- I think I've seen the Final Cut.

I've not actually seen the US theatrical release, nor the workprint/rough cut.

Also, I fully intend to skip the sequel. I read the KW Jeter books back in college and they were....not good.

Am I the only one that can't stand the sight of Ford these days?
He used to have class and I think sometime after Air Force One I just had enough of him,
he acted loopy in interviews and his voice sounds like he smoked his whole life.
Geezer Deckard? Good gawd. Please no. We are not meant to know the fates of them after that movie ended.
I will forever love the old stuff but honestly I can't look at him these days.

So if the film takes place 30 years post BR, and if Deckard is a replicant, how did he age?

Maybe he's suppose to be like Rachel, another replicant that has no four-year lifespan?

Anyways, thanks for answering my question guys. I had the thought about attempting to watch all five, back-to-back, with ten minute beaks in between for restroom usage and food/drink refills, but I wasn't sure if someone had attempted it before, and what order to view the versions would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm could be interesting. Let's just hope they don't ask him for some of his "creative" input

Roger Deakins will be the cinematographer for the Blade Runner sequel. Some of his previous works include The Shawshank Redemption, Fargo, The Big Lebowski , A Beautiful Mind, Revolutionary Road, In Time, Skyfall.

Deakins worked on director Denis Villeneuve's previous movie Prisoners and his upcoming movie Sicario which is getting lot of good buzz at Cannes.

Villeneuve also directed Enemy, which was one among my favourite movies of 2014.

Duncan Jones:

ManMadeMoon: I'm as jealous as **** about anyone but me doing the Blade Runner sequel, but I have to say, so far, the team behind the camera is fantastic!

i wish they would just do a proper rendition of the original Dick novel, the sequels novels writen by the other guy were Horrific at best. Although if you have read the comic prequel.............that was actually ok

Roger Deakins will be the cinematographer for the Blade Runner sequel. Some of his previous works include The Shawshank Redemption, Fargo, The Big Lebowski , A Beautiful Mind, Revolutionary Road, In Time, Skyfall.

Deakins worked on director Denis Villeneuve's previous movie Prisoners and his upcoming movie Sicario which is getting lot of good buzz at Cannes.

Villeneuve also directed Enemy, which was one among my favourite movies of 2014.

Just don't expect anything like the original.

I'm expecting a digitally filmed, super clean video, not a 35mm film like the original.

I doubt they will even ask Vangelis for some music either, it will most likely be some shallow orchestral dump by some hack!

i hope i'm proved wrong though!

My guess is they will want to have big explosions, action, shaky cam, and a ridiculous budget set by some committee who hasn't a clue why the original is such a classic.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back