Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

What I find odd is that I can watch the original Blade Runner over and over again but I have only seen the sequel once (even though I have it on disc and stream).
I liked the film. visually it was stunning. It might just be me, but the original Ridley Scott world was full and complete- it was a like a real city, lived in and relatable. This newer world in 2049 was more like a showcase instead of someone's home. Some places seemed to be created just for visual impact and great camera angles while Scott's seemed to be filmed on location. I know the backstory about why the world had changed somewhat with the great power failure, but that did not add anything to the story, it was more of an excuse as to why there was a noticeable difference between the two film worlds.
I would say the first film seems to allude to deeper themes and environment while the sequel does more exposition and shows you more. I think it's what makes BR a more poignant experience.

It's like when I first saw Star Wars in 1977 - I was much more in awe of Jedi when Alec Guinness relayed the lore of a "more civilized age" of Jedi to Luke. Then the prequels came and proved that all the latest effects of the time can't compare with the power of perfectly conjured imagery.

Thus I was prepared for BR 2049 to be as gauche and explicit an experience as the SW prequels. But it wasn't. I think it's an achievement that a BR sequel managed not to desecrate BR in any way whatsoever. Sure there was more exposition but it was also thematically layered and I thought it did carry genuine pathos. I will even say that BR 2049 is a more intellectual film than BR. The director set out to describe the same universe through different eyes and I think he was successful. This doesn't take away from BR which I still regard as a touchstone for cinematically lyrical experiences. I've rewatched BR 2049 many times but probably not as compulsively as I rewatched BR. BR 2049 is a fine movie.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back