Jameel Ur

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,
I'm thinking develop Luv White overcoat. Who would be interested in Luv overcoat?
I just tried to make a piece of quilted fabric, how does look to you?

Thanks,
Jameel Ur
LUV COAT.jpg
IMG_20221117_132128_372.jpg

I don't think I'd buy one for myself, but I've always loved the design of this coat! I'll definitely follow this project just out of curiosity. Maybe my girlfriend would want one, once it's finished! :)

It's hard to tell the scale of your photo--can you post a picture of the fabric with a ruler? I wonder if the quilting is too large/far-apart, but that's just my gut reaction without any sense of how big this piece of fabric is.

I don't think I'd buy one for myself, but I've always loved the design of this coat! I'll definitely follow this project just out of curiosity. Maybe my girlfriend would want one, once it's finished! :)

It's hard to tell the scale of your photo--can you post a picture of the fabric with a ruler? I wonder if the quilting is too large/far-apart, but that's just my gut reaction without any sense of how big this piece of fabric is.
Thanks Patattack,
I'll take a picture with ruler but I can tell you about sizes.
This is 0.5 inch quilted.squares.

0.5” squares seem to be a bit too big to match Luv’s jacket. Also, are you certain that the white squares are quilted? Honestly, in some photos they appear to be raised felt, as they don’t crinkle up in the same way that squares on a quilted jacket would. The black interior is definitely quilted though.
Thanks Patattack,
I'll take a picture with ruler but I can tell you about sizes.
This is 0.5 inch quilted.squares.

0.5” squares seem to be a bit too big to match Luv’s jacket. Also, are you certain that the white squares are quilted? Honestly, in some photos they appear to be raised felt, as they don’t crinkle up in the same way that squares on a quilted jacket would. The black interior is definitely quilted though.
I wonder if, instead of a "traditional" quilting (i.e., padding sandwiched between two separate layers of fabric), maybe it's some kind of thick, squishy material that compresses slightly when it's stitched, which would resemble a subtle quilted effect...

I wonder if, instead of a "traditional" quilting (i.e., padding sandwiched between two separate layers of fabric), maybe it's some kind of thick, squishy material that compresses slightly when it's stitched, which would resemble a subtle quilted effect...
That could be it also. It just doesn’t look like the traditional quilted jacket. I remember reading that the costume designer April Renee bought rare fabrics from around the globe to fashion the costumes. Even joi’s yellow jacket was some obscure material she found in Italy.

Here you can see there is a gap between each of the squares on Luv’s jacket. A quilted jacket can’t achieve that look. That’s why I’m more certain that it’s not quilted.

63B0B860-6A75-4161-BC84-B022416222D7.jpeg

63B0B860-6A75-4161-BC84-B022416222D7.jpeg

You are right el toro, 0.5" slightly big size square, and I'll reduce that size.
After seeing this image I'm pretty sure our quilted needs thin padding rather than current padding.
47159682_10156187447694480_8270269500532719616_n.jpg

For what it's worth, in that shot I can see some puckering of the fabric surrounding each recessed line, which I think would imply traditional quilting.

Check the reference photo on first post, you will see that the quilting on the elbow is actually 45 degrees rotated compared to upper and lower pieces.
You are right.
Actually I'm just trying to figure out how it's coming out.
I haven't started working on design yet.
How it looks to you?

It’s looking great, though I’m not sure based on the reference in this thread if the forearm seam is in the right location. And also the piping at the apex of the elbows curve looks like it might curve too much. From the reference it looks like 2 perfect cylinder slices like this.
15E20438-A045-4850-ACF6-081FBEB5CF16.png

Im sure it’s not easy to flat pattern this curve, but for accuracy it seems like an important detail to a very unique jacket.

That said, the new quilt square sizes look perfect as does material choices. Though the piping could be a little lighter, more silver, but that could all depend on lighting. One last thought, I think the quilting does need the first padding since this one wrinkles inside squares and the screen used jackets squares look plump, and resists that type of wrinkling.

You are right el toro, 0.5" slightly big size square, and I'll reduce that size.
After seeing this image I'm pretty sure our quilted needs thin padding rather than current padding.
View attachment 1639773
Hi, I usually just lurk but hopefully, this information will be helpful. I see two similar fabrics available at Mood.
I'm not certain about the shade of white or that the square size is correct. Crossing my fingers for you.

Hope this helps save you hours of sewing!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back