Blade Runner 2049 Baseline Test

I finished the overall design and put the stls on thingiverse for all who are interested in building one as well. Right now there is space for a Pi zero, Pi camera and wide angle lens. The internal mechanics for the servos and the sketches are not finalized so there will be updates for that. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3042100. Have fun.

View attachment 835815View attachment 835816View attachment 835817

******* this is a thing of beauty. well done and THANK YOU for sharing! now i just need to get a printer! :)

Our local library has a 3D printer. Apparently one can just show up and pay for whatever materials are used, and they will print anything. I'm not sure how good the resolution, but it is access to a printer.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I printed this in PETG. You need 800-900 gram. PLA will work as well. Depending on the filament $15-40 material cost. Resolution 0.150mm, 2 perimeters 30-50% infill. You need a 20x20 cm print bed. This is very easy to print put it will take time. You need to orient the parts for printing as I just exported from Fusion. Local Maker spaces also can help out. Wouldn't worry about qualilty. No fine details and you will sand all anyway.

Our local library has a 3D printer. Apparently one can just show up and pay for whatever materials are used, and they will print anything. I'm not sure how good the resolution, but it is access to a printer.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I printed this in PETG. You need 800-900 gram. PLA will work as well. Depending on the filament $15-40 material cost. Resolution 0.150mm, 2 perimeters 30-50% infill. You need a 20x20 cm print bed. This is very easy to print put it will take time. You need to orient the parts for printing as I just exported from Fusion. Local Maker spaces also can help out. Wouldn't worry about qualilty. No fine details and you will sand all anyway.

Thanks for the printing tips! Haven't gone down that road, other than buying parts from Shapeways. Will keep this in mind as I look at options.

Yep thanks to mrcarkeys42 particularly for getting everyone on board.

Thanks so much! really means a lot!

Sorry for being mostly absent, I got some prints over a month ago now and was really excited working on them, but then I noticed they had begun to warp pretty significantly? (or perhaps were warped from the start and I didn't notice) which was bugging me and I was sort of burnt out lol

Still plan to finish (might need to order prints from somewhere) but since Empiricus and djdrthq had great builds well underway I figured no harm stepping out for a bit haha

Here was my work in progress, was filling and sanding the left side and was pretty happy with how it was turning out but the whole thing seems to be bowed downwards (dont know how obvious it is in the photo)

wip.png

Im still new to 3d prints so idk if there is a fix for warps like this but im thinking it might just be best to start over. For most projects I wouldn't care so much, but I put so much time into the digital model I want the real thing to be the best I can get lol

I have had my finished STL files for a while if anybody wants them, I can also post them somewhere public as well as a list of lens sizes if you guys want though I don't have a shape ways or thingiverse account yet

I think I posted this earlier in the thread but if you guys want to add audio to your builds I did my best to isolate the interrogator's voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2JFRuR3zs

Though I think to get the timing exact and the opening "Officer KD6-3.7, lets begin. Ready? Recite your baseline." you may need to get a voice actor. Id also like to try and recreate that shutter sound you hear after each response, it happens so quickly after K's responses that i couldn't isolate the audio since he would still be talking

Also Empiricus, you may want to send a message to Adam Savage. I was messaging him a while ago to see if he had any extra reference material from his behind the scenes stuff (sadly he didn't) but he was into the project and wanted one when I was finished, unfortunately I think ill be a while so you should get in touch!

Im just so happy to see good builds finally get finished, the ones that keep popping up on etsy have been lackluster to say the least haha

wip.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What filament did you use? Warping occurs mostly with ABS. To avoid that you need to print in a heated chamber or better dump ABS for good. PETG is far superior no warping nor shrinking ever. PLA is easy to print but a pain to work with as it is hard and brittle.

It was printed in PLA, I don't know how much heat effects it but it was in my hot car for a day or two which i figured was the cause. It was also printed in two layers since the printer ran out of filament, so gluing on the thin top layer may have done something as well, not sure haha

No updates as the micro servos are a bust as I cannot make them move smoothly. Even at smallest increment (1) there is still jerking in the movement. If anyone has a sketch to swipe them smoothly please post. I am looking at micro steppers now but that increases the price 10 fold for what I want to do.

Thanks so much! really means a lot!

Sorry for being mostly absent, I got some prints over a month ago now and was really excited working on them, but then I noticed they had begun to warp pretty significantly? (or perhaps were warped from the start and I didn't notice) which was bugging me and I was sort of burnt out lol

Still plan to finish (might need to order prints from somewhere) but since Empiricus and djdrthq had great builds well underway I figured no harm stepping out for a bit haha

Here was my work in progress, was filling and sanding the left side and was pretty happy with how it was turning out but the whole thing seems to be bowed downwards (dont know how obvious it is in the photo)

View attachment 836212

Im still new to 3d prints so idk if there is a fix for warps like this but im thinking it might just be best to start over. For most projects I wouldn't care so much, but I put so much time into the digital model I want the real thing to be the best I can get lol

I have had my finished STL files for a while if anybody wants them, I can also post them somewhere public as well as a list of lens sizes if you guys want though I don't have a shape ways or thingiverse account yet

I think I posted this earlier in the thread but if you guys want to add audio to your builds I did my best to isolate the interrogator's voice:

Though I think to get the timing exact and the opening "Officer KD6-3.7, lets begin. Ready? Recite your baseline." you may need to get a voice actor. Id also like to try and recreate that shutter sound you hear after each response, it happens so quickly after K's responses that i couldn't isolate the audio since he would still be talking

Also Empiricus, you may want to send a message to Adam Savage. I was messaging him a while ago to see if he had any extra reference material from his behind the scenes stuff (sadly he didn't) but he was into the project and wanted one when I was finished, unfortunately I think ill be a while so you should get in touch!

Im just so happy to see good builds finally get finished, the ones that keep popping up on etsy have been lackluster to say the least haha

View attachment 836212

Hi there!

With a very high interest I read the complete thread in a couple of minutes and I am very excited with which amount of accuracy and enthuasiasm you did this wonderfull job!

The last thread message from mrcarkeys42 is now almost 4 years ago and I am currious about the final result.
Did you manage to get job done?

You wrote that you want to upload your .stl files somewhere to public.
Did you did it? I am excited to build my own scanner with you precision design data set!

Cheers,
Steve

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back