Black cat build and Phoenix Comic-Con

Hello! Ok so This is my second costume I've posted on here so far and I'm super excited about it because it came out exactly how I wanted it too! I posted some pictures of it before when I put up the Deadpool costume I made for the mister but I've bettered my posture and gotten some way better pictures since then.
I posted the whole build process on my blog:
oneblackcatsuit.blogspot.com/

I do have a question for anyone who can help...
I used prosthetic adhesive for the mask and had practiced applying it many times before wearing the costume.I thought I got it down pat but it was in the 100's that weekend (it's Phoenix after all...) and I couldn't keep it from coming off. I know that stuff is supposed to be sweat proof and to spare the gross details, it's not. If there anything I can do to keep it on longer? I got so many pictures back where I couldn't smile because my mask would fall off if I did. Thanks!

I was going to ask about the particular kind of adhesive. Pros Aide does not budge, it's medical grade so it is help up to much stricter standards that cosmetic grade :) In fact if you don't use the right remover it will stay on your skin through several showers. ;) Lots of experience with that. Luckily baby oil is a cheap alternative.

I paint the pros aide onto the appliance before I do my make up and check on it every so often. Once it become tacky I put the appliance on don't move for a bit to make sure it is fully stuck and then continue with my make up and rest of my costume.

I haven't had it come off with sweat, I wonder if a few wipes of oil free cleaner/toner where the mask sits would help. It should be far enough from the eyes to not be an issue but it should help dry out the area. You may have to put the mask on before make up too.
Just ideas based on not knowing what your routine that day was :)

Nice costume :)

I was going to ask about the particular kind of adhesive. Pros Aide does not budge, it's medical grade so it is help up to much stricter standards that cosmetic grade :) In fact if you don't use the right remover it will stay on your skin through several showers. ;) Lots of experience with that. Luckily baby oil is a cheap alternative.

I paint the pros aide onto the appliance before I do my make up and check on it every so often. Once it become tacky I put the appliance on don't move for a bit to make sure it is fully stuck and then continue with my make up and rest of my costume.

I haven't had it come off with sweat, I wonder if a few wipes of oil free cleaner/toner where the mask sits would help. It should be far enough from the eyes to not be an issue but it should help dry out the area. You may have to put the mask on before make up too.
Just ideas based on not knowing what your routine that day was :)

Nice costume :)

To tell you the truth I was kind of scared to use the medical grade one, especially since the first time I put that thing on I ripped out some of my eyebrows... opps :eek. But now I think I'll give it a try. I used the Ben Nye prosthetic adhesive and it worked ok but it came off sooner than I would have liked. Thanks for the tip it's nice to talked to people who have used some of this stuff before!

Nice work...

What type of adhesive are you using?

Thanks! and the Ben Nye prosthetic adhesive

I used it wet and then let it dry, would the hair dryer work better?

And thanks!!

No, the hair dryer is just quicker. :) I also press the mask down on my for a couple of minutes after I've put it on to make sure it's nice and stuck. Using prosaide, I've been out in the hot Atlanta sun for a couple hours and never had a problem myself. I'd definitely agree that its a good idea to apply your mask before applying makeup, and perhaps use an alcohol cloth on your skin before applying too.

However - I've noticed that some people, for whatever reason, just don't seem to have good luck with mask adhesives - even when following all the directions and doing everything they are supposed to. You unfortunately may just fall into this category. Bad mask adhesive skin genetics perhaps :lol

If none of the suggestions you are given here work for you, you may want to give the medical grade stuff a try, but perhaps trying it out at home on an area of skin that's not your face :unsure

Good Luck!

Allen

try using p.p.i's top guard on the skin first. this enables the adhesive to bond better and for longer but at the same time enables easier removal, its great stuff. if its hot and its sweat that is causing it to come away try using michael davys sweat stop first. personaly i prefer siliocne adhesives such as telesis 5 or snappy g. a better stronger version of prosaide its telesis beta bond plus. great stuff !! they also sell a great remover called beta solve.

No, the hair dryer is just quicker. :) I also press the mask down on my for a couple of minutes after I've put it on to make sure it's nice and stuck. Using prosaide, I've been out in the hot Atlanta sun for a couple hours and never had a problem myself. I'd definitely agree that its a good idea to apply your mask before applying makeup, and perhaps use an alcohol cloth on your skin before applying too.

However - I've noticed that some people, for whatever reason, just don't seem to have good luck with mask adhesives - even when following all the directions and doing everything they are supposed to. You unfortunately may just fall into this category. Bad mask adhesive skin genetics perhaps :lol

If none of the suggestions you are given here work for you, you may want to give the medical grade stuff a try, but perhaps trying it out at home on an area of skin that's not your face :unsure

Good Luck!

Allen

I think I might be one of those people... haha

Thank you guys so much for all the help! I think I should have asked all of you before I did this!

Black is one of my favorite Spidey characters, probably my favorite female Marvel character. I love your costume, your ,uh "body type"( no offense) is perfect for her. if you plan on doing it again or revamping it, might i suggest the V-neck style, deep or shallow?
300px-BlackCat.jpg

or the Ultimate black cat (not much of a difference except the mask)
blackcat.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back