Bill Hader's Barry

Vivek

Master Member
Barry is a black comedy series created by Alec Berg and Bill Hader. It airs on HBO and the first two episodes were pretty damn good.

Barry - Official Website for the HBO Series
Give it a watch.

MV5BMjQyNDk0NTIyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTQ2Nzg4NDM@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Was hesitant prior, but I wanted to support Hader and also see how a hitman taking acting classes storyline worked. It is a fun show.

So, can someone please explain the term, "New hit series"? How do they know it will be a "hit" when the damned thing just started?

It's a show about Hits (contract killings), they use the word Hit quite predominantly especially in the second episode.

Some shows do indeed use the phrase "New Hit Series" willy-nilly without any consideration or backing results.

But this time it's mainly intended to be a play on words, of course you can continue to disregard it.

I was also late to this show but instantly became a huge fan. I've watched season one and two numerous times already. Has season three started yet? I know development got hamstrung by covid but I've been looking forward to it for a while.
I heard NoHo Hank was originally supposed to be killed off in season one but he was such a popular character they kept him in.

Just binged all the new episodes out. Getting some Dexter final season vibes from Barry becoming more of a villain. I suspect a similar ending as Dexter.
I never saw Dexter, but I feel like Barry started off as a bit of a villain, we just sort of ignore the fact that he was a killer right from the start because he seemed like a victim, dealing with mental health issues and being manipulated by others. But he does seem to be getting worse, and his story seems to be heading to a bad end for Barry, and possibly the people around him. I get the feeling that he'll face some kind of reckoning for his actions. I think about the concept of Breaking Bad, as described as transforming the character of Walter White "from Mr. Chips to Scarface." Barry turns that concept on it's side, where he starts off as a straight up killer, with no remorse, and then tries to have a better life, but ultimately can't escape that life. Every time he tries to get away from it, he feels forced to murder again, to protect his way of life. I suppose the Pacino line from The Godfather Part III, "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" is kind of appropriate to his situation, or at least that's how I think Barry perceives it. He's looking for purpose and validation and will do anything he thinks will help him get it.

Sally's an interesting character in that she's so self involved that she never sees things clearly outside her own needs and desires, so she has a hard time seeing Barry for what he truly is. It seems like they may be moving her into an area of more clarity of self, but I'm not sure. She seeks validation from the industry she desperately wants to be a part of, so it's unclear to me whether her decisions are really self-motivating or just a reflection of that industry on her.

I heard NoHo Hank was originally supposed to be killed off in season one but he was such a popular character they kept him in.
That's interesting, sounds like Breaking Bad (which I just mentioned above), where the character of Jesse was supposed to die in the first season too.

I like how even in an episode that’s a bit more low key, there are a couple of incredible moments.

The cops showing up at the plant shop when they did and the scene in the car with the mom and her son.

I also really liked Barry’s interaction with Sally in the apartment…really illustrated how damaged of a person he is.

I love this show.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back