Better Sawdust and Blankings

Plokman

Hey all,
I've been sitting on this thought for ages and thought I'd see your advice on the matter. As I have said I have to be frugal as a Maker, I have worked to make resin compatible dyes from my everyday material one I hope really works is the Pepto Pink I made from grinding up some expired Pepto tabs should work after all it's something that suspends in liquid. So along with this I have been wanting to recycle the sawdust I don't use for drying as a alternate wood source, by which I mean taking sawdust and somehow turning it into fresh blanks.

At first I thought it'd would be a good choice to use wood glue as the binder but I have mixed results with it coming out rubbery though it will become solid after a good drying, but it still makes me wonder would Resin be better suited to use as a stabilizer? I recently purchased some Art N Glow Epoxy after all the moisture problems my Polyurethane based resin has given me, (I mean really it acts like I put a bunch of orbeez into it with a powder that is 99% Salt that's about as dry as death valley and it still bubbles up like Beaver foam filler.) and so I hope to have better success with it on dying and making faux textured material such as fake Ivory (Ground up egg shells and Chalk mixed with a couple other pigments to make it look like a proper tooth like material.) and real color from some things like rust.

But yeah any methods to this kind of madness? Also I do intend to seal all things I make so nothing can cross contaminate like the aforementioned Pepto pink I want to ensure it remains fully sealed even after the roughest handling though from all I see on inlay even after sanding all the particles are in a sort of colloid within the resin with not even smell getting out. But best not tempt allergys like if any peanut dust is in the resin I don't want anyone passing away from my props.

Also if anyone in the Midwest is going to be there I will be for the fourth year standing be at Cape Comiccon in Cape Girardeau, MO April 27th or so, a key to my maker career. See ya there if you go there.

take care

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back