Best stripper?

wannab

Sr Member
Got an old airplane model (styrene) that had been sprayed with a rattle can of Krylon enamel years ago (no primer - duh?). I'd like to strip it and do it up right. What is the best method to strip it without harming the plastic?

Doug

Simple Green or Purple Power is nice but takes a couple of weeks or longer.

Oven Cleaner/Caustic Soda gets it done in double quick time but you need to use it in a sealed container or bag, and it may take up to 3 times to get all of the paint off.

Good ol' Brake fluid works too but you risk softening the styrene and accidentally warping something.

EDIT: I used the Oven Cleaner Method on this kit that had thick enamel on it from the early 80's. Worked pretty good.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

Hey, this has had the most views in the shortest time in any thread I've ever posted! lol

Thanks for the tips so far guys!

Doug

Floquil makes a product called "Easy Lift Off" or ELO for short (no, it doesn't have Jeff Lynne music accompanying it). It is a slow acting paint stripper that is relatively safe for human contact and it doesn't seem to have a nasty odor either. Oven Cleaners such as Easy Off require you to be very careful since they are highly caustic. You have to wear gloves and they can be a bit nasty. They won't harm plastic, but they can eat metal. The preferred method for those cleaners is to use them with a sealed tupperware container to soak the parts, then rinsing them off in the sink.

By compariosn, ELO seems more user friendly. I've been able to use it where I might want to strip paint off of one sub-assembly without harming other parts of the model and with this stuff, I can do that very easily. Wearing gloves is recommended, but it won't eat your skin like oven cleaner can.

I have found that oven cleaner works the best. Just spray it down, put it in a sealed plastic bag, wait an hour or so and wash it off with water, repeat as needed and sand it a little and its ready for a fresh coat of paint.

I'm disappointed wannab, you've been on here long enough to know what would happen with that title! :lol ;)

I've always heard to use Easy Off oven cleaner. I've never tried it though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back