Best resin for Jurassic Park amber

I’ve collected a few crane flies around the house over the past few days, so I thought I’d try my hand at creating some Jurassic Park-style mosquitos in amber eggs/rocks. I’ve ordered some Oomoo 30 to make the molds, but I’m wondering what type of resin I should get?

This is actually more tricky to find than you'd think. Because a lot of so called transparent resins cure to a yellow tint. When looking around check for descriptions like "glass finish". Transparent doesn't always mean clear.

Yes - thank you - that video is very interesting! After watching as many of the YouTube tutorials that I could find, it brings up another question: is the general consensus that polyester resin is best for these? (As opposed to epoxy resin, for example?)

So after watching Peter’s YouTube video (referenced above), I made a “mold” out of plexiglass with the same dimensions he used in the video (2”x2”x4.5”). I even used a little less resin (8 oz) because I had the catalyst numbers for that amount. Funny thing was, when I first mixed and poured the resin, the color was perfect (using 24 drops of pigment - same as in the video). Now, a couple of hours later, it’s become much lighter - just a very pale yellow. Is that normal for it to lighten like that? Should I make it much darker at first, expecting that it will lighten as it cures? Will it darken back up as it continues to cure?

EB413F23-5558-40C1-8003-D6ABA32B1CBB.jpeg
645A2116-BDAB-4603-81FD-1A794D873FB4.jpeg

So I’ve identified a couple of potential culprits. First, I realized that the resin dye (I’m using Castin’ Craft) says to shake vigorously before use - which I didn’t do. Second, I worry that the resin might have reacted with and bonded itself to the plexiglass because now it won’t come out (I’ll try a chisel later today). Wonder if either of those things could have resulted in the color getting lighter.

I have had dyes lighten because of the heat generated from curing. I suspect that is the culprit here.
I'm not sure why you would make a "mold" out of acrylic. If you plan on sanding an polishing the resin to the correct shape, why not just use poster board or foam core?

I guess in my mind, it seemed like acrylic would separate more easily from the resin. (I’m realizing now that isn’t the case!) I was worried that poster board or foam core would stick.

I guess in my mind, it seemed like acrylic would separate more easily from the resin. (I’m realizing now that isn’t the case!) I was worried that poster board or foam core would stick.
It would, but who cares, you are going to sand it to shape. A waxed disposable cup would be better.

So I’ve identified a couple of potential culprits. First, I realized that the resin dye (I’m using Castin’ Craft) says to shake vigorously before use - which I didn’t do. Second, I worry that the resin might have reacted with and bonded itself to the plexiglass because now it won’t come out (I’ll try a chisel later today). Wonder if either of those things could have resulted in the color getting lighter.
Trial & error is how we all learn. Honestly, you’ll appreciate the finished product more when it’s done. The color change can happen for who knows what reason, but mine didn’t lighten up quite as much as yours did. My advice (For any project) is just don’t rush it. Rushing the process could easily ruin any project.

Since I haven’t had much luck with the square molds, I decided to make a silicone mold of a few plastic Easter eggs to try that. I made one big and one small since I wasn’t sure which would be a better size for a Hammond cane. They turned out ok. (I’m slowly getting the color dark enough - lots of trial and error!) I’m a little worried about being able to see the line in the middle. I mixed the color dye into the resin and then split it in two parts to catalyze separately so the color would be the same, but it still seems to create a line. Am I waiting too long to embed the bug and pour the second half? (Currently waiting about 18-20 min).
?hash=c8c1beb9ae3dbc0fb51a6ded6fc85fcc.jpg

Attachments

• 19B68085-8A28-447D-9AEE-2B69B84B07DA.jpeg
    19B68085-8A28-447D-9AEE-2B69B84B07DA.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 111
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back