Best format for Iron Man helmet?

DrNoobMD

My experience in this realm is pretty much limited to props, as I’ve never felt the need to build a full suit or the like. However, I’ve been looking into building an Iron Man MK3 helmet for a friend of mine, and I’m not really sure where to start. Is foam easier than pep, does one yield better results than the other?

In my experience foam is easier and more affordable than pep and resin but resin will give a better result and should be more durable. It really depends on the circumstances in front of you I guess.

I am about 90% satisfied with my foam helmet. I started a pep and resin one but could not afford the time or the cash to get it right. But that's just me.

Just paste it form my other post:

Paper
PRO:
-cheaper
-easier to cut
-give a sharp edges and more exact dimension

CON:
-time consuming
-a lot of detailed cut
-more parts
-to make a dent or build thickness requires more effort
-without resin or fiberglass, it is just not strong enough.

Foam
PRO:
-less parts
-it can be bend, more organic shape
-sturdier
-it can be finished without fiberglass/resin
-faster build

CON:
-some find angle cut is troublesome
-less detail

There are more pros and cons, and the above statement still can be debatable. And cons can be converted to pros with experience/knowledge/creativity (and so on), and it also can go all the way around.

To use paper or foam is just a personal judgment. These are just a media to be use to create replica. Just like clay and so many other options. Other member tried to do hybrid (combining paper and foam) which I wanted to try myself.

To help you determine, perhaps you should look at:
-budget
-skill
-tools available
-patience level
-available time vs deadline
-availability of the supply
-creativity level
-expectation vs reality check
-source of information/help/assistance
-others

Hope it helps

If you have time, money and patience i would say: Pep and fiberglass/bondo is the best for you.
First you have to scale it for your mate, use the tester file you can find in this forum.
GL!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back