Best Conan Sword For The Money

Purchased the Marto version a couple of years ago and still love it. I did notice a few months ago on a web site that their was a bronze version and a silver version.

Milius had the original. Wonder if he gave it to Arnie?

Three were made for the movie, Arnold and John each kept one, and I think that Buzz Feitchans (sp?) ended up with the third. John's was loaned to us when we started production (as well as his "Father's sword") and we used them as the basis for our initial builds. We had the original studio molds, and used them and the original sword as a work-base to build the blades.

As I suspected, they did different 'runs' of these things. I seem to remember them doing a small set of ones with silver instead of bronze parts too. Anyway, I got this from Mike Sigman at Albion:

Good info! I remember calling Mike once a month for a year waiting for an update on my sword! lol

They did a run of 10 hand ground by Jody and the casts were not cleaned up at all-exact movie match.$10,000.00

The pics on the website for that sword were black and white,that is probally why you remember it as silver....check it out...

Film Swords limited edition

A co. called Pro Cut out of Canada was commissioned about 15 years ago to make some Atlanteans for Planet Hollywood.Those were silver.I have photos somewhere in a box in the garage(pre digital)

Dude!!!!!!

I CANNOT BELIEVE you found this site with the old "Riddle of Steel Diary" archived!!!!!!

I was actually a friend of Jody Samson's too, and I have a "Fiberglass Stunt Sword" of the Father's Sword that I got from Jody in 1989, and he told me it was actually used in the movie!!!

I was recently trying to find out what it might be worth, and the person told me I needed some kind of documentation about it, since Jody has passed away...

I had been looking for the old web pages for about a year!!! I didn't want to call Albion to ask them to re-post the pages just for me...

When I found this page today, and I clicked on your link of the old Albion website archive, I was able to find an archived page of the diary...

I am mentioned on the very first 3 pages of the "Riddle of Steel Diary", as stopping by to take photos and shoot videos of the original John Milius Conan Swords...

Anyway, now along with this 43 page web archive, and some pictures of me with Jody Samson, and pictures of him with another item he made for me, I can hopefully finally get my sword appraised...

I have about 30 photos and a video I made of the ORIGINAL John Milius Atlantean and Father's sword... and I also have about 200 photos of Arnold as Conan that no one has ever seen before...

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know you made my day!!!!.... and CLUTCH!!!.... it is COOL that you got the Albion #1!!!!!!

-bqk333

They did a run of 10 hand ground by Jody and the casts were not cleaned up at all-exact movie match.$10,000.00

The pics on the website for that sword were black and white,that is probally why you remember it as silver....check it out...

Film Swords limited edition

I have about 30 photos and a video I made of the ORIGINAL John Milius Atlantean and Father's sword... and I also have about 200 photos of Arnold as Conan that no one has ever seen before...
-bqk333

Oh your not getting away with saying that here and not showing us something! :lol

Well, actually, I am dealing with someone who I am trying to get one of the images taken down right now that somehow got out... I may be able to later...
-bqk333

Originally Posted by bqk333 said:
-bqk333

Oh your not getting away with saying that here and not showing us something! :lol

Yes, PLEASE post any new pics if you are able to. This thread reminded me that I probably need to oil them up again and swing them around some. :)

Dude!!!!!!

I CANNOT BELIEVE you found this site with the old "Riddle of Steel Diary" archived!!!!!!

I was actually a friend of Jody Samson's too, and I have a "Fiberglass Stunt Sword" of the Father's Sword that I got from Jody in 1989, and he told me it was actually used in the movie!!!

I was recently trying to find out what it might be worth, and the person told me I needed some kind of documentation about it, since Jody has passed away...

I had been looking for the old web pages for about a year!!! I didn't want to call Albion to ask them to re-post the pages just for me...

When I found this page today, and I clicked on your link of the old Albion website archive, I was able to find an archived page of the diary...

I am mentioned on the very first 3 pages of the "Riddle of Steel Diary", as stopping by to take photos and shoot videos of the original John Milius Conan Swords...

Anyway, now along with this 43 page web archive, and some pictures of me with Jody Samson, and pictures of him with another item he made for me, I can hopefully finally get my sword appraised...

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know you made my day!!!!.... and CLUTCH!!!.... it is COOL that you got the Albion #1!!!!!!

-bqk333

I am impressed you were able to meet Jody Samson. Lucky Man.

Yes, PLEASE post any new pics if you are able to. This thread reminded me that I probably need to oil them up again and swing them around some. :)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
WOW!! Thank you so much for sharing those pics, BQK333... I never thought I'd get a chance to see these Conan swords as they look today. You're a lucky man!

Cheers,

Ryan

Last edited:
I'll post some even closer photos of the bronze work later... I don't think ANYONE has ever seen these pics at all before, except maybe 3 friends of mine and of course Howy and Jody... I've still got the video I made of the swords in 2001 too...

I have another friend who owns like 200 negatives of Arnold as Conan that have NEVER been released to the public before too... I was trying to set up deal in 2001 with Howard Waddell and Jody to release those photos in the second issue of "Filmswords Magazine", but for some reason it never happened... I will call Mr. Waddell and talk to him about it again since they are making the swords again....

-bqk333

WOW!! Thank you so much for sharing those pics, BQK333... I never thought I'd get a chance to see these Conan swords as they look today. You're a lucky man!

Cheers,

Ryan

I still sigh over the fact that issue 2 of filmswords never came out. I paid for subscription on mine but aside from receiving the first issue, Mike Sigmund gave the bad news that there just wasn't going to be more issues published due to the high costs involved.

Now that Jody is gone, those issues feel even more needed. There was plenty that could have been written about him.

I sent a message to Albion to see if they might be interested in releasing the Conan Photos again, and I have a few more photos of Jody too... I'll let you know when I hear back from them...

-bqk333

I still sigh over the fact that issue 2 of filmswords never came out. I paid for subscription on mine but aside from receiving the first issue, Mike Sigmund gave the bad news that there just wasn't going to be more issues published due to the high costs involved.

Now that Jody is gone, those issues feel even more needed. There was plenty that could have been written about him.

Here's an interview I saved:
"JS: There were three of each, and I worked on them over six months. That's kind of amazing, usually six weeks is a long time to work on a movie, There were also fiberglass versions made for fight scenes..."

When Jody is talking about those Fiberglass Swords, that is one of the ones I own... a fiberglass Father's Sword that I bought from him in 1989...

Hey bqk333 thank you so much for sharing your pics of the original swords. Conan the Barbarian has been my fave film bar none since i first saw it as a kid way back. I adore these swords and have the Albion magazine but can't get enough of seeing them. Any chance you can post the videos please?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back