Ben Solo (Kylo Ren) Costume and Obi-Wan TPM Costume

Psab keel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here are some shots of two of the costumes I've finished recently. The first is a replica of Obi-Wan's Jedi outfit from The Phantom Menace. As much as I trash the Prequel Trilogy, I actually LOVE the production design for them. The material used for the Outer Tunic set is an exact match to the screen used fabric and pretty tricky to sew because of the open weave, though the color and drape are so unique that I can see why Trisha Biggar chose to use it. It kind of shifts color under different lighting conditions and moves very distinctly. Also this features lined sleeves and the body and skirt of the tunic are unlined as is on the original.

The robe is a heavy coat weight Melton Wool fabric which hangs nicely and is very warm. The screen used robe was a medium weight wool but this is a very close match and looks nearly identical. One of the distinguishing factors of this robe versus the one Obi-Wan wears in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith is that it does not feature shoulder tucks.

The Inner Tunic is a cotton gauze in a subtle papyrus color that contrasts slightly with the outer tunic. The Pants likewise are a brushed cotton chino fabric in Bone color which is an off white.

With all of the layers required for this outfit, it calculates to nearly 40 yards of fabric!

The Belt is a cinch styled belt and functions just like the screen used one with one of Saberbelt's and Diego's 100% screen accurate functioning Obi-Wan Belt Buckles. This buckle literally took years to become a reality and it is absolutely flawless. It also features the correct button studs and reddish brown color.

DSC06490_zpscbwoerdz.jpg

DSC06492_zpsku89pr62.jpg

DSC06491_zps0yzqci5m.jpg

DSC06493_zpsogcsragr.jpg

DSC06495_zpswc7qd37w.jpg

DSC06499_zps3xegthya.jpg

DSC06498_zps2ox5gsf9.jpg

DSC06500_zpsjubjpddt.jpg

DSC06503_zpsxuyb10hq.jpg

DSC06504_zps0vimyu5i.jpg

DSC06506_zpsaqylsl5j.jpg

DSC06512_zps1pyzq1io.jpg

DSC06510_zpssahslykf.jpg

DSC06516_zps4qs3ckms.jpg

DSC06522_zpswdfvef9c.jpg

Ben Solo: Kylo Ren Light Side Jedi Custom Complete Ensemble

Includes Tunic, Pants, Ankle Boots (Size 11 Mens US), Robe with Sash, Leather Belt, Hooded Cape and Scarf

This was a unique project which took inspiration from several sources. The colors chosen were reminiscent of Luke from TFA and Obi-Wan from the Prequel era, but with stitching that mimicked Vaders leather body suit and a silhouette that would evoke his ensemble when he became Kylo Ren. The fabrics are Wool coating, Cotton Osnaburg, Soft Jersey, and Cotton Twills used to create my vision of what Ben Solo may have looked like before he turned to the Dark Side. I have yet to see anyone else do a Light Side Kylo as of yet and I thought it might be fun to do an alternate version of his ensemble. If time and money permitted I would have created a proper Kylo Ren for my collection, but alas, other projects have a higher priority.

DSC06474_zpskdlkzl4x.jpg

DSC06477_zpspabiboly.jpg

DSC06480_zpswemufmkp.jpg

DSC06478_zpsrxmndbvo.jpg

DSC06479_zpsnjhe12sv.jpg

DSC06481_zpsrv9ozofa.jpg

DSC06482_zpspfipt06m.jpg

DSC06485_zpssdvyls83.jpg

DSC06483_zpsb7cltvwc.jpg

DSC06484_zpsi0reanjk.jpg

DSC06486_zpsyhqmfqzg.jpg

DSC06487_zpskhv4k0wp.jpg

DSC06489_zps69ga6nzf.jpg

Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment. I'd love to see what you all think.

Psab

Last edited:
Here are some shots of my complete Obi-Wan ROTS Costume.

ObiROTS1_zpscj75ra2u.jpg

ObiROTS2_zpsjhmz76yg.jpg

ObiROTS5_zps3f4wlggr.jpg

ObiROTS3_zpsmnzqjoae.jpg

ObiROTS4_zpsdo7tqafx.jpg

ObiROTS6_zpsdxehxsgq.jpg

ObiROTS7_zps21tajgwx.jpg

ObiROTS10_zpsnkpgcdyn.jpg

ObiROTS12_zpsg57qsfi1.jpg

ObiROTS9_zpsmgwnefpb.jpg

ObiROTS11_zpsbdanroh5.jpg

ObiROTS13_zps3dqqd4py.jpg

ObiROTS14_zpsarvb1z0u.jpg

ObiROTS16_zpsbqv1rklm.jpg

ObiROTS15_zpsfxwtopmn.jpg

ObiROTS17_zpsegxwdl8u.jpg

That retro reflective tape is pretty amazing stuff. Just a flash from the camera and instantly the Roman's Empire Inception hilt is glowing!

I think that looks great. Where's the fabric from, is it the clothears stuff? I particularly like the attention to detail for the inner tunic

One small observation - I think your outer tunic is a little shorter than it should be, ideally. Maybe an extra 1.5-2 inches and it would be spot on. If you look at this image you see that it should fall just above mid-thigh and a couple of inches below the sleeves, whereas yours is about level with your sleeves. Very minor point though.

blu-ray-star-wars-19.jpg

Thank you so much. The Tunic has a tendency to ride up on the waist a little once the belt and sash are on. The fabric is from Dharma Trading company. I'm convinced that it's the exact same material as the screen used one. The weave, weight, texture and color are all correct and it reacts to light and movement the exact same way as what was seen on screen. It's their hand woven natural fabric. It shrinks a lot once laundered. The outer Tunic, Sash and tabards used 16 yards of the dharma material. In all the entire outfit is close to 40 yards of fabric.

It looks perfect, definitely a lot more accurate than the cotton crepe I used for mine. Though I suspect no easier to sew. It's shocking just how much fabric you need, especially if you cut the obi across the bias.

Great job.

Thank you so much. Your's looks great too. It us a challenge to sew because the weave is so loose but it actually forced me to get better with my seams because you have to be very precise. It's definitely worth the work though if you use this material.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back