Beginning a 1/150 Black Pearl (but first, a question or 2)

Usagi Pilgrim

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Always wanted a model of the Pearl, but lack of space & the cost of the ones I found were prohibitive. I was pleased to run across the Revell kit in the smaller scale, so I jumped on it & it should be arriving in a few days.

My 2 questions are-

1) Does anyone know if a good online album for detailed pics of the ship?

&

2) Since I want to do an EXTREMELY BASIC fake rigging, just for some extra flair, at this 1/150 scale, would sewing thread or upholstery thread look more in scale?

Hopefully, I'll be starting this build either Thursday or this weekend, so I hope to update then with a build log.

Thank you experienced ship guys for the help.

Not sure of the difference in size between sewing or upholstery threads

But if you interested, I can send you a high res scan of the larger 1/72 Zvezda/Revell kit instructions as it may help as a guide for the rigging

I think that the sewing thread would look a bit thin at that scale, so I would go with a thicker one. I've never built a wooden ship before, but a while back when I had the itch to do so, I looked up some tricks on how to make half decent ratlines without having to do all the tedious tying. You can buy a jig from MicroMark, or you can just make your own with a bit of wood and nails. You probably could even create your own in tinkercad and print it out on a 3D printer if you had one.

TazMan2000

Not sure of the difference in size between sewing or upholstery threads

But if you interested, I can send you a high res scan of the larger 1/72 Zvezda/Revell kit instructions as it may help as a guide for the rigging
That's very generous of you! I would appreciate that very much. If you need my email, just let me know.
I think that the sewing thread would look a bit thin at that scale, so I would go with a thicker one. I've never built a wooden ship before, but a while back when I had the itch to do so, I looked up some tricks on how to make half decent ratlines without having to do all the tedious tying. You can buy a jig from MicroMark, or you can just make your own with a bit of wood and nails. You probably could even create your own in tinkercad and print it out on a 3D printer if you had one.

TazMan2000
I'm going to use the rat lines that come with the kit, as they're molded fine enough for what I'm trying to achieve. I just wanted to throw some lines in there to simulate rigging to the eye. I got the upholstery thread in & the model arrived yesterday. I'll know better tonight how everything might work out.

Thank you both for reaching out. I hope to start with some progress pics soon.

The rigging is always a problem in terms of respecting the scale. As you have probably seen, there's a lot of different "thickness" in the rigging of a ship. To make it "scale" is always difficult. When I was building Man-O'-War ships, I even used my wife's hair to make sure it was in scale (yes, she has thick hair):D Good luck!

Sorry, I was away for a bit, but now that I am back home I got a chance to get some pics

I sent a link in a PM for the instructions

The two releases are identical sprue wise except for the mast head sprue (sprue M), not sure yet which is easier to follow instruction wise as the are done a little differently, Hopefully it helps in setting up the rigging

Sorry, I was away for a bit, but now that I am back home I got a chance to get some pics

I sent a link in a PM for the instructions

The two releases are identical sprue wise except for the mast head sprue (sprue M), not sure yet which is easier to follow instruction wise as the are done a little differently, Hopefully it helps in setting up the rigging
Thanks so much. Everything's good now, but my wife ended up spending several days in the hospital for some tests, so I didn't get started when I wanted & then, my brain was so frazzled, I totally forgot to take progress pics.

Being an idiot aside, I'm really pleased with the kit & can only hope I can do it well.

I appreciate the help.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back