Beauty and the Beast theatrical enchanted rose with falling petals build

So how did the Pirate production go?
Hey! Sorry for the super duper late reply, lol. The show was great! Spent a lot of time on the ship, but nothing technically challenging other than making use of the sparse amount of rope borrowed from another theater. Also, before the original individual who started building the ship was let go, it looked like a viking ship with pointy, curved ends at the bow and stern. I begged and begged to chop them off and finally got the OK to do so once the original designer was out of the picture.

This picture is shortly after chopping the santa hats off each end.
ship1.jpg

Masts raised, bowsprit rigged, rails installed, hatches battened!
ship2.jpg

This cannon (along with the masts) were built by the scenery director's husband. Both are amazing artists!
cannon.jpg

Hello! Yes, I'm still lurking! What do you need help with? Basically, there is a hole (1/4" if I remember right) half way through the center for the stem to fit into, then 9 other holes drilled from the outside and coming through to the stem hole. The 9 holes are drilled small enough for the fishing line, and are drilled out slightly larger toward the outside of those holes to accommodate the magnets. Hope this helps, and keep us updated on your project!

Can you give me an idea of how big the core for the Rose head ended up being?

Hello 5L8!!! Would you mind listing your transmitter, servos, servo board products? Trying to get this done the same way. Also, did you need to program anything, a la Arduino?
Thanks man! Nice work!
Michael

fiveliter8,
That was a really good project back then.
They were lucky to get you to work on it.

By the way, is that a broken drill bit in the acrylic? DOH!
I hate it when that happens :)

upload_2018-11-29_5-29-47.png

Last edited:
After reading about your Animatronic Rose and having the petals fall off on Que, I wanted to try my hand
at designing a quick release "center" that would hold and drop off individual petals one at a time and be
3D printed. Always looking to print on my printer.

It is designed to hold 9 petals (3 on each level) but in the video snippet, I show one petal on each of the three levels
to give a sense of how it works.
My version will use simple solenoids to pull briefly on the individual fishing lines. One line for each petal.
This is only a mock up to show proof of concept.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
Here is a video complete with my boring, monotone, sleep-inducing voice, which is why I work behind the scenes in theater! :)

Thanks for the post. This is an excellent prop build. I decided to give it a go. It worked out very well. I did go bigger on the bell jar. I drew up a print for the rose core and a friend who works at a machine shop did an awesome job of machining it. Gluing the magnets to fishing line proved challenging, until I used my electronic clamping arms to hold the line and magnet while the glue dried. I tried gluing washers to the petals, but could not get the control necessary, so I wound up using metal Prestong tabs (they're used for securing paper into folders), cut and formed into tabs. The larger bell jar was glass, so to secure it I cut a ring from house sheet insulation that is very snug around the OD, and screwed it down. The lighting crew did a fabulous job of providing a red spot that really made it visible.

After reading about your Animatronic Rose and having the petals fall off on Que, I wanted to try my hand
at designing a quick release "center" that would hold and drop off individual petals one at a time and be
3D printed. Always looking to print on my printer.

It is designed to hold 9 petals (3 on each level) but in the video snippet, I show one petal on each of the three levels
to give a sense of how it works.
My version will use simple solenoids to pull briefly on the individual fishing lines. One line for each petal.
This is only a mock up to show proof of concept.

Thanks for watching.
Very nice and clean setup! Did you get it finished?

Thanks for the post. This is an excellent prop build. I decided to give it a go. It worked out very well. I did go bigger on the bell jar. I drew up a print for the rose core and a friend who works at a machine shop did an awesome job of machining it. Gluing the magnets to fishing line proved challenging, until I used my electronic clamping arms to hold the line and magnet while the glue dried. I tried gluing washers to the petals, but could not get the control necessary, so I wound up using metal Prestong tabs (they're used for securing paper into folders), cut and formed into tabs. The larger bell jar was glass, so to secure it I cut a ring from house sheet insulation that is very snug around the OD, and screwed it down. The lighting crew did a fabulous job of providing a red spot that really made it visible.

So awesome! Would love to see your rig!

After all the inspiration and help this thread gave me for my Rose prop. I wanted to give a post-show update on the final prop.

Everything turned out great and the cast/crew/staff absolutely loved the Rose. I didn't get the audience feedback I'd hoped for, but I'm wondering if they just assumed we went out and rented a professionally made prop.

Thanks again for all the help!

Robert

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 160
In addition, here's the video showing the functionality.

A M A Z I N G ! ! ! You took it to a whole 'nuther level! Love the arduino control, lighting, and that you have a stem that looks like a rose stem! I'm in the process of building a new one since the original is falling into disrepair after being loaned out so many times. Might have to look into and alternate means of control. What are you using to input cue commands if you don't mind me asking?

A M A Z I N G ! ! ! You took it to a whole 'nuther level! Love the arduino control, lighting, and that you have a stem that looks like a rose stem! I'm in the process of building a new one since the original is falling into disrepair after being loaned out so many times. Might have to look into and alternate means of control. What are you using to input cue commands if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you very much! The mechanical inspiration was all based on your design. I just had my lighting side kick in for the rest.

My original intent was to use a simple IR remote and receiver on the arduino. But I had range issues with it. Then I went to an arduino RF remote fob and receiver... Once again, range issues. And at this point we were rehearsing and the crew was very busy so I started having trust issues (because of both the range issues and the crew's work load) that the cues would get reliably fired.

So my final version used a DMX controlled relay pack from Amazon that I remote mounted under the set and ran just a pair of wires up to. That way I had control up at the lighting board. Each time I bumped the relay to Full, it would fire one cue on the LED arduino board which then sent an interlocked firing cue to the Servo arduino board when needed.

I've had some people express interest in renting it and if that actually develops I've got some 2nd generation changes I'd make for a rental unit. I'd like to consolidate the arduino components onto one professionally printed PCB board to save space. Plus I have some ideas for improvement on the power supply, battery pack, and DMX control.

The unit in the video is probably going to be retired to my personal collection.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share the build of this prop with you all. Our kids recently became involved with the local theaterworks group, which turned out to be just the break I needed to put my prop building to actual use (outside of costuming and personal collection). Being the only one out of about 30 stage techs who raised their hand when the technical director asked who is good with electronics, I was then tasked with building the rose with petals that fall to at least 4 cues. It also had to look 'magical' and, if possible, be remotely operated due to the small size of the stage. Only problem, I was only given a budget of $50! With that, I told them this will be a personal project and I'll eat all the cost and keep the prop after the shows end. So, it begins!

The first matter of business was finding a dome. It had to be large AND made of plastic. Glass is not allowed as set pieces. I lucked out and found this display on ebay for $15 bucks.
View attachment 499354
My lovely prop-maker in-crime made this handle from a drawer pull and some beads.
View attachment 499352
The powers-that-be insisted the rose be as red as possible despite our insistence it be pink as it was in the animated film. We bought two identical roses, one for use by the actors in the opening scene and the other to cannibalize for parts. Here we are sizing up the rose to get an idea of how the remote one should be set.
View attachment 499353
Hy! Im a dicector of the small dance theater in Hungary. Youre rose effect is so beautyfull. How can I get this modell, or the replica? Can I buy or what? Thanks the reply, Sandor

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back