Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

teragon I respectfully disagree. I think Cap 3 could easily out perform BvS heads up. We already have a common link to this incarnation of Cap and non with Batfleck and not even really with Hank as Supes. With the way word leaks out in this day and age we are going to have seen so many spoilers and trailers that I think people will have an idea of what they want to see first. I do agree that the BvS movie could be absolutely horrible and still make a ton of money. I just think that the way the ground floor has been laid with Marvel it would set up for Cap to perhaps out perform BvS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just that the combining of two iconic characters that have had movies spanning decades and generations of fans. This will either be an epic team-up or a catastrophic failure. Either way, it'll take in a huge amount of money. Look how well Avengers did, and most people probably never even heard of the Avengers aside from the lead up in the other Marvel films (assuming they stuck around for the mid-credits scenes).

Cap is awesome but he's only just started gaining momentum on film over the last 4 years or so. I like the direction Cap 2 seems to be going, but third movies always seem to be the one in the series that really jumps the shark. My first impression of Iron Man 3 was not good. It's grown on me since then but it didn't do what the first movie did for me. Then you have Spider-Man 3... Some franchises don't even get to the third movie because they blow it with the second like FF4-RotSS.

I think it's just that the combining of two iconic characters that have had movies spanning decades and generations of fans. This will either be an epic team-up or a catastrophic failure. Either way, it'll take in a huge amount of money. Look how well Avengers did, and most people probably never even heard of the Avengers aside from the lead up in the other Marvel films (assuming they stuck around for the mid-credits scenes).

Cap is awesome but he's only just started gaining momentum on film over the last 4 years or so. I like the direction Cap 2 seems to be going, but third movies always seem to be the one in the series that really jumps the shark. My first impression of Iron Man 3 was not good. It's grown on me since then but it didn't do what the first movie did for me. Then you have Spider-Man 3... Some franchises don't even get to the third movie because they blow it with the second like FF4-RotSS.
Captain America gaining momentum on film over the last 4 years or so... that's like saying a Superman Returns was an amazing film that everyone loved and carried the Superman tradition into Man of Steel. Or Superman IV for that matter...

You're not comparing apples to apples.

Iron Man 3 despite some folks' misgivings (I liked it better than IM2) made a ton of money. If Cap can continue that trend, BvS better beware... there's already some negative buzz against BvS and it will all come to marketing - which film looks best in the months prior to release. Cap 2 and GotG and Avengers 2 are going to lead into Cap 3 and if those are half as strong as they're looking - well, Batman and Superman are going down.

Batman and superman team up will be a big box office hit due to the fact they are such iconic characters. Some liked MoS, some hated it and same goes for the nolan franchise or any other previous series of batman/superman. However even without really knowing alot about BvS atm, i have to say that even tho im a big DC fan, i am not really optimistic about this. I highly doubt they are going down tho :p

It's not the history of the franchise. I think it's more the characters. Superman and Batman are probably the most well known comic book characters across multiple generations. I don't think people hold some of the previous sequels against the characters themselves. They remember the good ones and just block their memories of the bad ones.
Tthe bottom line is it's the idea of putting two iconic character together.
As far as buzz, and casting, and all that other nonsense... only people like us follow stuff that closely. Fanboys probably make up a very small portion of the overall box office grossing. If it were the other way around they probably wouldn't make such horrible plot and casting decisions because they would take into account that their paychecks rely on appeasing the geeks. This is definitely NOT the case.

Batman and Superman team up on the big screen for the first time ever. You ALSO have Wonder Woman appearing for the first time on the big screen in a big box office film. Captain America looks good for the 2nd time, but still isn't Iron Man on the big screen. With the Trinity showing up on the big screen, as long there is good feedback on the Batmobile, suit, etc like JD said, I believe BvS would still beat out Captain America opening weekend.

It's not the history of the franchise. I think it's more the characters. Superman and Batman are probably the most well known comic book characters across multiple generations. I don't think people hold some of the previous sequels against the characters themselves. They remember the good ones and just block their memories of the bad ones.
Tthe bottom line is it's the idea of putting two iconic character together.
As far as buzz, and casting, and all that other nonsense... only people like us follow stuff that closely. Fanboys probably make up a very small portion of the overall box office grossing. If it were the other way around they probably wouldn't make such horrible plot and casting decisions because they would take into account that their paychecks rely on appeasing the geeks. This is definitely NOT the case.
I disagree.

If Batman vs. Superman releases trailers and let's say Batman looks like Adam West and George Clooney's love child, well, it could kill this movie. Not only people like "us" follow that - we might pay more attention to it, but it's the pre-release hype that could kill or make a film. It's contagious...

Yes, I agree people have a selective memory - but, that can work both ways. Heck, Gigli and JLo almost ended Affleck's career and people still begrudge him because of that (even if they won't outright admit it).

I think people are going to want Marvel because they are more kid friendly and just more fun. But, I think it's what we see before either of these come that breaks or makes the movie. If BvS comes out and Bats looks great, the trailer looks great... it could be a homerun.

Okay I need to get moving here to go to an auction but isn't Star Wars VII supposed to be coming out around the same time? or is that sooner? I get confused at times.

Episode VII comes out in December, many months before this one if the date sticks. They shouldn't get any opposition from Star Wars. Besides, Disney, who owns Marvel, would not put out two movies at the same time, they're much smarter than that.

Honestly when I heard the Ben Affleck was cast as Batman I was considering giving him a chance since they said the same thing about Heath Ledger as The Joker, but now im losing it hearing that ****** Jesse Eisenberg is cast as Lex Luther gives me so much doubt..... just saying, who they heck is casting these stars

Honestly, it all looks good till they (Bats and Lex) open their mouths.
View attachment 301491

Ben looks like Bats (then again so can anyone covered in 95% costume) and Eisenberg looks like a tough Lex. But, can he pull it off? Cavill is already blessed in my book. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Reel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree.

If Batman vs. Superman releases trailers and let's say Batman looks like Adam West and George Clooney's love child, well, it could kill this movie. Not only people like "us" follow that - we might pay more attention to it, but it's the pre-release hype that could kill or make a film. It's contagious...

I'm pretty sure with the amount of money they'll be throwing at this movie this costume is not going to look any worse than Nolan's costume.

Plus, opinions are pretty polarized even on here. Some people are totally open minded and invoke "Heath Ledger's Joker" to defend he choice of Eisenberg as Luthor. Others think it's catastrophic casting mistake (me being one of them).

Some people also think the new Spider-Man looks awesome. I think it looks like a pile of crap with too much going on. Time will tell. I have some faith it'll be better than how it looks in the trailers because I thought Andrew Garfield was a horrible casting choice and yet I loved how he pulled it together in the first movie. Now, I'm more skeptical about the actual story and how it looks like they're cramming too many villains into one movie... which is one of many reasons why Spider-Man 3 was a trainwreck.

I might be in the minority, but I think Eisenberg as Lex Luthor is inspired. It tells me they're doing something different, and while it would've been great to see a standby like Bryan Cranston, I think the surprising choices end up being the best.

I'm still not completely sold on the idea, but I'm optimistic. He's shown that he can be intense.

I'm also pretty excited for Affleck, despite being bored by the very idea when it was announced. He's a big fan of Batman, and he'll be the first actor who comes into the franchise with that brand of enthusiasm. I think that combined with Snyder's love of comics will create something special.

Josh Brolin explains why he turned down Batman vs. Superman | TotalFilm.com

From the article:

" Josh Brolin has been discussing his decision not to sign on as Batman in Batman vs. Superman, suggesting that he was in disagreement with Zack Snyder over how the role should be played.

“Me and Zack had a conversation about it,” says Brolin, “and there were several reasons why we said it wasn’t the best idea on both sides. I had mine and Zack had his.”

Not that Brolin is too disappointed to have missed out on such an iconic role…

“To me it’s not about being cool and all that stuff. Looking back over your shoulder and saying that one line everyone’s going to remember? Maybe I could do that. But I do roles that aren’t necessarily all that cool. All my stuff is a little off.”

And as for Ben Affleck’s casting in the role, Brolin is pretty scathing of the barrage of online abuse the star has had to face.

“People were so disrespectful,” says Brolin “How can you blame an actor for acting? I understand you’re a fan, but people forget that actors are human.”

“When you’re sitting in front of a computer it’s easy to go, ‘Well, I wish he would die. Send.’ But somebody’s going to read that. Their kids are going to read it and the wife is going to read it. We’re so computer-oriented that we forget.” "

Currently lot of the fan vitriol is being channeled to the new Fantastic Four movie, once the Batsuit is revealed the Affleck hate will likely gain momentum again.

AND Superman costume? Is he changing his duds already?

I'm alsmot scared to see the new Batman costume. I know what I want to see and I know it's not going to be that so there's a good chance anything will be a disappointment.

I'd like the suit to be somewhere along the lines of batman 1989 but I think that's just because its perfect to me, can't see why they'd change super mans suit though since its from his planet?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back