Batman Latex Mask First time casting question

jmedina

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this. So if it isn't I apologize ahead of time. I am sculpting a Batman cowl to make out of 40 shore urethane. So far I have cast my head in Plaster of Paris and formed it in clay so that I can begin scultping. My question is: Do I suclpt directly on my head or do I apply more clay on top of the head to create the mask? I guess where I am getting confused is when the final product is made I want the mask to fit me. I think if I apply more clay on top of the head and then create the mask, the mask will fit me loose. Am I correct in my thoughts?

Thanks

Jorge

I did a life cast of myself and then sculpted the mask on top of that. So this mask is going to fit me loose? Damn that sucks. IMG_3372.JPG

Depending on your casting material, you want at least 1/4- 3/4 inch of clay over your life cast. You can taper everything inward around the perimeter, and openings (eyes & mouth) to make it appear like it fits tightly. Hope that makes sense. Nice sculpt btw.

Welcome!.. I know pictures can be deceiving, so this is just my opinion (on the 1 you posted). But you might consider opening the eye holes (slightly) outward and downward. Maybe an 8th of an inch, at most. The top of the eyelids and inside corners look perfect IMO. Only other suggestion I have would be to build the jaw bone out (again, just slightly). Give yourself a little breathing room. You'll want to be able to talk without worrying about tearing your batman mask, joker style.

Latex shrinks and I don't think that you need to worry about it being loose fitting. More probable to be tight fitting.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back