Batman Cowl

jmedina

Been sculpting a Batman cowl for the last three nights. Costume is almost all done. This is the last part of the build. My plan is to make a mold and cast it in Vytaflex. I added some texture to the mask to try an give it a more leather look. Don't know if the Ultracal will pick it up. Figured I would give it a try. Check out the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3765.JPG
    IMG_3765.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3763.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
Thanks man. The mold came out good. Which is a big weight off my shoulders. Now I just need to cast the cowl. Crossing my fingers that nothing goes wrong. lol

Finished the mold the other day and the cast yesterday. Still have to do a little clean up but it fits goodimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I loaded the pics from my phone and now they all look sideways

Thanks guys. I'm almost done fitting the armor. Still have to clean up the mask around the trimmed edges. I have plenty of material. So I think I will make a few more masks. Vytaflex is a polyurethane rubber. I used a 40 shore strength so that the bat ears would not be floppy. Smooth-on makes the product. You can get it at Reynolds Advanced Materials. I appreciate the complements. Makes all the time spent making it worth while. I'll post some more pics as soon as I get a chance.

jmedina
Hey there, I know it's been some months since you posted about your costume construction but I found this thread today and I am curious as to the process you used. If you have time, I'd love to pick your brain about some of the details as I am learning and would love to make my own cowl and costume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jerryb7,

Been meaning to get to you. Sorry if I'm a little late on the response. Happy to help. My process for the cowl. First I made a casting of my head using some plaster wraps I purchased at Jerry's Artarama. Its kind of a crude but cheap process. I tried to do this on my own at first (dont do this). Especially if its your first go. Get someone to help you with the casting. Once the cast was done, I bought 10 lbs of water based clay. Preferably 2 different colors, 5 lbs of each. Get your cast clean and then line the inside with Saran Wrap. Then stuff your cast with the clay. Really push it in the face to get your impression. This is not as perfect as doing a silicone casting but it will get the general shape and features of your face without the hit to your wallet. Once this is done, use the second color of water clay to design your cowl. Try to clay cowl at least 1/8th to a 1/4" thick. After the model was completed, you can make your cast of the cowl. I would suggest getting some silicone for this part and some ultracal. Build up the Silicone and then the ulracal over that. Once it is done you should be able to remove the silicone mold fairly easily. After that I could pour the Vytaflex and make the final product. This is an overview of what I did. If you have any specifics you want to know about, hit me up.

- - - Updated - - -

The suit was all over the place. Some parts were foam, others material. Watched sewing videos. It was crazy. Think my wife was gonna flip if it took any longer than it did. lol. If you have questions about a specific part of the suit, I will be happy to share what I did to make it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back