Batman Cowl Vacuum Formed Foamies (Pics) Process Journal/Tutorial

acylum

Here is a vacuum formed Batman cowl I made. I vacuum formed craft foam then overlaid fabric on it...

Tutorial and Process Journal - starts below at post# 15 of this thread....

First I sculpted a mask design in super sculpey...
10-final.jpg

Then I cast a plaster master...
35-casting.jpg

Then I built a vacuum form rig and vacuum formed craft foam over the master
57-burnt.jpg

Then I glued black spandex fabric over the mask to make a cowl...
96-face.jpg

...and this is the finished batman cowl...
headshots.jpg

...and here is the full costume...
04-cyrus_bat01.jpg

05-cyrus_bat02.jpg

07-cyrus_bat04.jpg

halloween_Fuerza01.jpg

Cyrus Lum

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Vacuum Formed Batman Cowl

wow. I saw your pics on another forum and figured that was a store bought piece, as it was so beautifully executed. This is the first time I've seen a TRULY successful integration of cowl and cape done in cloth. I cannot tell from the pics if it is one big piece, but you prove that it can be done really well.

The sculpt is really great. Half demonic, half bat. Very inspiring. Really great work man. Please keep us posted on your other projects, as you've clearly got a lot of great talent, and the tools to bring your visions to reality.

In the words of Jack Napier: "Nice outfit!"

That's seriously good work. It's nice to see a cloth cowl outside of the TV show (but I do love the TV show).

Thanks for the responses!

It was a fun project - I learned a lot especially on how to build a cheap vacuum forming machine and how to really get detail out of craft foam. I'm thinking about how I can expand this "vacuum-formed craft foam" to some other costume ideas...

It's a great way to make flexible, light weight costumes that can still have detailed form...

Cyrus Lum

I agree, really fantastic work. Also the first fabric cowl I've seen that works better than the rubber ones for a non-tv Batman.

nice work. It seems u lost alot of the finer details u sculpted which is disappointing, but looks cool and could have some good applications.

Very cool! I think it would look even better with some sort of silver acetate or white acetate type eye. That would really make it pop.

it is the same way to work with craft foam like working with polystyrene ? cause i very like what you did with this material

I love the look you've achieved. To be honest I like how the fabric softens some of the detail of the sculpt. I kind of feel it blends better with the exposed mouth area.

Detail loss - Yeah, Since I knew going into this that I would be vacuum forming, I "over- sculpted" the detail so most of it would show through on the final mask - both from the vacuum forming, then the fabric layer.

Eyes - It would be very easy to swap out a white material for black - I made a flap behind the eyes that can be interchangeable. I can also flip it up and out of the way if I wanted to use black-eye make-up instead or just to have people see my eyes.

Polystyrene - Yeah, the same process would also work well. I only chose craft foam because I wanted a flexible mask that was comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

If you are interested in a detailed tutorial of the process that I went through, I posted a 12 part series with lots of pictures on Brotherhood of the Bat forum

If people do not have access to the BOTB forum and if there is enough interest, then I can re-post the detailed tutorial here as well...

Cyrus Lum

Last edited:

This is such a great project. I'm interested in how you did this on so many different levels. Please, post more information on how you did this! :)

I wouldn't worry about the lost details at all; plenty of details still show through and the expression is killer! I love to process pics and hope to see more of those!

So – this is my journey in creating a Bat Cowl and vacuum forming it using craft foam ( foamies )
Here is the final result-
04-cyrus_bat01.jpg

The Bat Cowl is a vacuumed formed foamie with a black cloth overlay to blend it into the cape…
My suit is kind of a hybrid batsuit – comic style with some TDK and a “Dead End” inspired "snarling". Boots are Converse special “bat” edition and the suit is Brad’s sub-dye batsuit http://www.spidey4fun.ncable.net.au (Great suit, but you’ll notice I need to do additional “tailoring” to the suit - the thigh area is too loose.)

Here is a close up of the near final cowl:
0a-mask.jpg

The pic on the right shows off a feature for the eyes that I call a “privacy screen“ – it’s a one way see through black that you can flip down at any time– great for times when you don’t want to wear black eye make-up or when you want to be that really “mysterious” guy. (I’ve made other costumes with this “blind” look and it always seems to attract attention and curiosity – more stories about that later…)

Here is the original sculpt that I vacuum formed…
10-final.jpg

So, the results here do not tell you about the journey I went through to get to this point. It’s been interesting at times, fun at other times, and frustrating also - but I learned alot! I’m gonna re-count this journey and maybe it’ll help out others with a curiosity for cowl making…

I’ve been a “bat” fan ever since I was a kid. I’ve made my own costumes through the years.

I work in the video game industry and even got to work on a Batman game – Batman Forever arcade. I even got to visit the “batcave” set in the Long Beach just as Jim Carey was destroying it as the Riddler.
0b-arcade.jpg

BATMANMD.jpg

Here is more of my work…
Cyrus Lum.com

My first foamie bat cowl.
cyfoamie.jpg

While I like the rubber cowls, at that time, I wanted a bat mask that was “party friendly” – not a sauna, didn’t require eye make-up and could easily be taken off if I wanted to just “hang-out” and talk…Basically the mask was like a hat, I could wear it forward to be batman, or backwards so I could show my face and not have to hang onto the mask – it just sat on my head so my hands were free to carry things like beers ;)
backwards.jpg

This hat sat on top of a black balaclava.
I also covered the foamie with a black “see through” material to hide my eyes but still allow me to see out.

That worked out great so, 6 years later… I decided to do another “foamie” bat mask, but this time I wanted to do something more advanced – try to vacuum form the foamie like this guy…
drcrash.jpg

I found out how to do this from this site
www.TK560.com :: View topic - fun with craft foam (EVA foam), w/pictures
www.TK560.com :: View topic - Bast (cat-headed Egyptian goddess) mask in craft foam

I also found plans for a vacuum former from this site
Vacuum Former Plans

Here is a pic of someone making a full bat cowl with vacuum formed foamies – or maybe just “heat formed”
foamie-mask.jpg

Well, I still wanted to make a “party friendly” mask, so I stuck with my old design – (hat-like), but because I could vacuum form more complex shapes, I decided to “sculpt-out” a new bat mask.

For inspiration, I always loved the “etched” batman mask by Jeff Fowler - I loved his stylization
etched.jpg

I also liked the look of the “Dead End” cowl – especially the nose and “snarl” expression. My favorite version of this is Shawn Reeves' version.
Reevz666

While it’s not an exact replica of Sandy’s design (IMHO), I find that Reeves' creative changes made the mask look more cool.
reevesDeadEnd.jpg

So, with these as inspiration, I set out to make my mask. I thought it would be pretty straight forward…HAHAHA

Now, I’ve done sculpting in the past…
cy-hulk.jpg

cy-venom.jpg

I even sculpted a design for a Batgirl concept
cy-batgirl.jpg

I’ve also done molding and casting in the past too…
0c-molds.jpg

So, I thought I knew what I was doing – HA! - I was wrong...

In my next several posts, I’ll break things down and actually go into all of the steps I took to sculpt the bat cowl, mold and cast a master, vacuum form a foamie on top of that to make the mask, then overlay a material on top of that to finish it off...

..so check back on this thread...

Cyrus Lum

WoW this is awesome I love this! I would love to own a 66 cowl and this might work going a route like this!:thumbsup

kdawg1 - yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the 66 cowl. Hey, what i have is almost the same process - fabric covering an undershell. What would be cool is that a cowl made with this will be very flexible and lightweight compared to having a fiberglass undershell.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back