Batman 3 villian rumors...

Honestly I would love to see the knightfall storyline and buildup. Ever since I read that when it came out I thought it would make an amazing movie. Although there would be so much going on, from the rise of Bane to ultimately breaking everyone out of Arkum (think of all the cameos) to the eventual breaking of Batmans back, and have the movie end with that.

I would also love to see The Death of Superman story arc as well and end it with his funeral.

There's no way Nolan is going to do Clayface or Killer Croc. Those don't fit in with his more realistic take on Batman.

As to who it could be... well I can see the Riddler, Catwoman, Mr. Zsasz, the Ventriloquist or one of/ both of Ra's daughters.

On the death of Two-Face, I prefer to leave it ambiguous. Similar to the death of Ra's.

Didn't Zsasz already appear briefly in Batman Begins as one of the escapees?

Yup

batman-cast-zsasz.jpg

Didn't Zsasz already appear briefly in Batman Begins as one of the escapees?

Yea, he's also the inmate on trial at the beginning of the "current period" when Dr. Crane is introduced.

I like your idea of Penguin/Riddler that would make a really good movie.

I hate that comic movies go far as killing long term bad guys, the original Batman series, Spiderman 2, Punisher Warzone, Batman Begins with Ra's death and then Two Face in DK. I think they should have at least attempted to do some re-working to the ending after Heath's death so that 1 of those villians could come back for the 3rd movie.

I am curious if Nolan is trying to close up the legend or establish the legend as we know it in a final form more or less from the comics?

He has said some things that make me wonder.

In other words. Does he intend to end The Batman and close the story? or does he get that more traditional Batmobile, new Batcave, Batsignal is in the skies of Gotham again and the roques gallery is still out there at the end of this film?

It'll be Catwoman - for sure.

But I'd prefer BATMITE --- I'm serious too. Can you imagine if Nolan hit everyone with this uppercut. The trailer comes on - people cheer. Out steps my gloomy himself Bale with a new type of suit - more cheering. A new Batboat to combat the swamps of New Orleans - more cheering - then... POP! Batmite pops in like Gazoo in the old Flintstones. The audience goes dead silent - except me. i'd be standing center theatre - applauding.

I personally want the Riddler. Not only has it been set up with the nod to "Mister Reese," but I just think it makes the most sense thematically if, as Nolan has stated, he intends this to be a standalone trilogy.

Ra's in the first is Batman/Bruce's mentor, who helps Bruce to form his code. Basically he "creates" Batman.

The Joker is like Batman's rival. Equal in drive, intent, and creativity, he causes Batman to question his code, but forces him to take on the villain role by the end. In essence, although the Joker causes Bruce to strengthen his own resolve, he weakens his stance.

The Riddler, should Mister Reese become him, would be able to "defeat" the now weakened Batman with the revelation of his identity. With superior intelligence to match Bruce's bucks, there's no telling what he could do. Can you imagine him releasing all (Or some) of Arkum's population AFTER revealing Batman to be Bruce. It would heighten the chase that we saw encapsulated by the end of TDK. Then, by defeating him, he will have overcome three forms of challenge: Emotional, Personal, and Intellectual. It just feels right to me, making Batman a more complex character with each villain.

Also, it takes the villain role from one who sought to do good by creating mayhem (Ra's), one with no intentions other than to cause mayhem (Joker), to one that causes mayhem for his own self-serving purposes.

That's just my rationale though...

Well, that and I really want to see how the Nolanverse would interpret the Riddler's attire. :p

-Nick

I am have to believe Batman 3's development stage (before the script) is/was torment for Nolan. The villain IS the movie, and from the looks of this thread, everyone has a different opinion!

If I were thinking like Nolan, I would see two major issues to contend with:

1. No matter what we comic fans hope for, there is still the matter of Batman having to draw a regular crowd to the theaters- such is the nature of the beast. I HIGHLY doubt we will will see a billing for a publicly obscure comic book villain without having a major carry the weight of the film. Nolan has an independent streak and I think WB trusts him - which is good- but I don't think he'll ever escape this pressure.

Lets face it, the 60s series played a large part in permanently establishing Joker, Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman into what society expects from Batman. Sadly, I honestly believe (for the public) that not seeing at least one of these in a film is a let down.

2. The other films created this "been there, done that" feeling. Burton's portrayal of Penguin and Carrie's portrayal of Riddler left some BIG shoes to follow. Not cinematically, but culturally.

Ultimately, Nolan "redid" the Joker and blew it out of the park. He took the most iconic villain, the one where most of the public see as Jack Nicholson, and redefined it. He made us (at least momentarily) disregard every other incarnation we know and do so happily. So I have every confidence he could do it again.

Given all this, its my suspicion that the villain will be the Riddler plus one of the more interesting yet REALISTIC comic book villain. I would guess we will also see some fun cameos to keep us talking.

The Riddler sells. He marries public interest with an interesting story line.
For viral purposes as well as the story, I also think Riddler has an opportunity to be every bit as creepy, interesting, and intriguing as Joker's character.

I forgot to mention that if he follows the DK formula, I believe Mr. Reese will either be replaced by a mainstream actor, OR, he was simply a nod and NOT E.Nigma.

If it is Riddler, I am hoping for a perfect combination of creepy and gitty. I always thought Doug Huchinson would have been an amazing Riddler in his Green Mile days.

But after being one of the pleasantly surprised fans that originally yelled "HUH? HEATH LEDGER as JOKER?" at my TV, I think Nolan could cast a pleather sofa and make it work! :lol

P.S. Two Face is not dead. Just a hunch.

I forgot to mention that if he follows the DK formula, I believe Mr. Reese will either be replaced by a mainstream actor, OR, he was simply a nod and NOT E.Nigma...

...P.S. Two Face is not dead. Just a hunch.

A nod was already done before the movie even came out in The Dark Knight viral campaign. In an issue of the Gotham Times Letters to the Editor, a man writes out against Harvey Dent. This man's name is listed as Edward Nashton. Edward Nashton is the real name of Edward Nygma, or The Riddler.

Both Christopher Nolan and Aaron Eckhart have stated that Two Face is dead.
:unsure

Thoughtful and completely in sync with my own POV. Well Said!

I personally want the Riddler. Not only has it been set up with the nod to "Mister Reese," but I just think it makes the most sense thematically if, as Nolan has stated, he intends this to be a standalone trilogy.

Ra's in the first is Batman/Bruce's mentor, who helps Bruce to form his code. Basically he "creates" Batman.

The Joker is like Batman's rival. Equal in drive, intent, and creativity, he causes Batman to question his code, but forces him to take on the villain role by the end. In essence, although the Joker causes Bruce to strengthen his own resolve, he weakens his stance.

The Riddler, should Mister Reese become him, would be able to "defeat" the now weakened Batman with the revelation of his identity. With superior intelligence to match Bruce's bucks, there's no telling what he could do. Can you imagine him releasing all (Or some) of Arkum's population AFTER revealing Batman to be Bruce. It would heighten the chase that we saw encapsulated by the end of TDK. Then, by defeating him, he will have overcome three forms of challenge: Emotional, Personal, and Intellectual. It just feels right to me, making Batman a more complex character with each villain.

Also, it takes the villain role from one who sought to do good by creating mayhem (Ra's), one with no intentions other than to cause mayhem (Joker), to one that causes mayhem for his own self-serving purposes.

That's just my rationale though...

Well, that and I really want to see how the Nolanverse would interpret the Riddler's attire. :p

-Nick

Christopher Nolan has already expressed that he does not feel that the Penguin will work for his take on Batman's universe, which I'm very thankful for. I also wouldn't worry about Catwoman. Nolan sorta laughed that one off as an improbability when questioned about her. The Riddler still remains a huge possibility... the character was referenced in THE DARK KNIGHT viral marketing campaign within a Gotham City newspaper. In all honesty, the only major villain that I feel would work is BLACK MASK simply due to his role as a major player in the world of organized crime, though I'd still love to see Mr. Freeze (even though Nolan has said no to this) as portrayed in Batman The Animated Series.

Penguin was also referenced in the Dark Knight viral marketing campaign, as far as I know Nolan had nothing to do with the campaign.

It think it is the Riddler as he was definitely set up in the Dark Knight - just as the Joker was in Batman Begins. I think that if Mr Reese is the Riddler it is notable that he works in finance and is obviously unethical - See the blackmail attempt with Lucious Fox. Recent headlines will inform this villains scheme to turn financial markets upside down for his own purposes and plunge Gotham into ecomonic chaos. Scary stuff and topical plus an intellectual challenge Batman and billionaire Bruce Wayne will have to fight together with each of their unique skills

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back