Basic tools/rakes

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by kwalsh0000, Apr 27, 2012.

1. kwalsh0000

kwalsh0000 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope this is of some help to some people new to sculpting like me and cant afford to spend too much. I've copied and pasted what I posted on another board below. Theres probably far better instructions on making tools but hope this helps some..
    -------------------------------
    Well lately I have been getting back to working on my skyrim helmet in my friends studio and along with being shown how to do things properly I have also been shown how to use the tools properly. At home I just had the basic looped wire tools that you can find at any hobby shop, using these and a few other items I have begun making and modifying my own tools.

I hope to add to this over time with more pics in a step by step style for different types of tools

First ones ive done are two different styles of rakes. These are used to rough out the shape quickly and trim away clay quickly (bigger rakes for bigger pieces etc). They are ideal for levelling out areas and the sweeping motion of the raking on the clay creates shadows and groves that allow you to see the shape you are creating.

Using the standard loop tools I just took a metal file/or dremel to cut groves into them in somewhat equal spacing for a make shift rake (two in the middle)
    [​IMG]

Next was to make some finer rakes, materials needed are saw blade (any will do, you can use smaller teeth or larger teeth for different effect but make sure it fits the brass), brass tubing, two part epoxy/glue, butane torch.
    Step one was to get a butane torch and cut the brass tubing to desired length. (always be careful and open the windows!)
    [​IMG]
    I then got a small hacksaw and took out the blade and cut it to the desired length. Using a vice and rubber coated handled pliers to hold the blade I picked the area I wanted to bend and began heating it with the torch until the metal became red hot. I then shaped the now bendable metal using two pliers until I got the desired shape. Once I was happy with the shape I inserted the now shaped blade into the top of the brass tubing and heated again with the butane torch for some extra effect.
    [​IMG]

Once the metals had cooled down then I added some super glue inside, let that dry, and then mixed two part epoxy and applied to the inside and outside of where the tube and blade meet.

2. Laffo

Laffo Sr Member

Coping saw and broken band saw blades work too.
    Laffo.

3. chuckyAPP

chuckyAPP Sr Member

Just to add to this, I found different size guitar strings work great as well. Slide them into a brass rod, crimp the edge and a little dab of crazy glue or epoxy and your ready to go.