Bart-B TOS Tricorder

M-5 Attacks

My TR-637 Tricorder's experimental M-3 Microtronic Unit was able to successfully repel a hostile takeover by it's still-in-development successor.

Details to follow...

Best. Mike.

The Ultimate Tricorder

By Bart Braun and Clint Young

Last year,
in one of the Facebook Star Trek prop Groups, I found a series of articles Posted by this guy, Bart Braun, who was creating a tricorder simulator faceplate. He not only had to develop the hardware to fit into the hood, but also write a complete program to bring life to his creation.
The promise of an original tricorder that actually did something beyond looking good on camera has to be in the hearts of many Star Trek gearheads. I was certainly no exception and immediately reached out to Bart.

Less than a year later, Mr. Braun, along with prop replica builder, Clint Young, had completed the Bart-B Tricorder from a John Marco kit with a hand-turned aluminum disc array by Mike Reader. This was our homage to one of two tricorders originally designed and built for Star Trek by the legendary Wah Ming Chang in 1966.

Bart's original TR-637(v1) faceplate was powered by a basic lithium-polymer battery in the lower compartment along with an on/off switch. We knew that we could do better with this mostly-unknown territory and, eventually, the M-3 Microtronic Unit was born.
In addition to his faceplate simulator, Bart also designed and fabricated the switched crossbar, hatch pulls, and M-3 battery box.
Many fellow propsters have also expressed interest in owning one of these beauties.

Here's how...

(Please, bear in mind that the Bart-B is a unique custom build with much patience and forbearance by Bart Braun. It is a hybrid of the v1 hardware and v2.? coding. All are hand-built from the ground-up, one at a time.)

You may DIY starting with Bart's TR-637 (v2) with a basic lower compartment switched battery box and custom crew record. He can provide an M-3 Unit and custom coding if desired. All faceplates will come with the latest User Interface and Content.

We’re also considering commissions for complete basic or custom builds on a case-by-case basis. Other viable options include motorized moiré, removable data disc, or non-Marco shells.

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• Bart B Expanded.jpeg
    Bart B Expanded.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 99
  • Electroforge.jpeg
    Electroforge.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Clint-AːBart-B.jpg
    Clint-AːBart-B.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 92
  • Behind the Faceplate.jpg
    Behind the Faceplate.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Mike M'BengaF.jpg
    Mike M'BengaF.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Disk GUI.jpg
    Disk GUI.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 85
  • W.I.P.jpg
    W.I.P.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 91
  • ElectroForge Logo.jpg
    ElectroForge Logo.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Member Bart Braun's M-3 Microtronic Unit (v2, Daystrom Institute) fits quite nicely into the lower compartment of a Master Replicas tricorder.

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• Master Replicas:M-3 Tricorder.jpeg
    Master Replicas:M-3 Tricorder.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
Is there a kit for any of these? Or a pattern?
I'd be happy with a pattern, as I have a relationship with a good machine shop that can make the aluminum pieces for me.
I want to make an over-large medical tricorder that can double as a small purse for my wife's essentials at conventions.

Is there a kit for any of these? Or a pattern?
I'd be happy with a pattern, as I have a relationship with a good machine shop that can make the aluminum pieces for me.
I want to make an over-large medical tricorder that can double as a small purse for my wife's essentials at conventions.
Captain T.:

The Bart-B was built using a John Marco tricorder kit. Until recently, he was selling them on eBay for $125 ±$25. They were old stock which may very well resurface at some point. There are kits in private hands that I might be able to source.

Here is additional information on the Marco kit: Marco Enterprises '80s Star Trek TOS tricorder kit...

The last tricorder that I posted is a ready-built Master Replicas with no kits available.

If you are planning on upsizing the design anyway, there are blueprints available online, also this 3D printing link might be helpful: Printables.

The metal pieces are relatively easy to fabricate if you have the proper skills and facilities. The tricky part is forming all the plastic parts.

Please, share your progress. It sounds like an interesting build.

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• 1d079265a8af8ba544be2203cd609c13.jpg
    1d079265a8af8ba544be2203cd609c13.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 89
Macnmike:
Thank you for the resources.
I had an original idea of building a frame out of Erector-style rods and corners, but this should work better. I will probably replace all the sides with aluminum, layered with closed-cell foam, with a leather exterior. Based on my rattan fighting experience, that combination should be durable, light, and look good. Plus, Dax's line in Trials and Tribble-ations as she's eroticising the old equipment is a huge impetus to finish in chrome and leather.
But it's the electronics and the Microtronic Scanner that are beyond my ken at this time. Patterns for the sides will just make the case, itself, tremendously easier.

Macnmike:
Thank you for the resources.
I had an original idea of building a frame out of Erector-style rods and corners, but this should work better. I will probably replace all the sides with aluminum, layered with closed-cell foam, with a leather exterior. Based on my rattan fighting experience, that combination should be durable, light, and look good. Plus, Dax's line in Trials and Tribble-ations as she's eroticising the old equipment is a huge impetus to finish in chrome and leather.
But it's the electronics and the Microtronic Scanner that are beyond my ken at this time. Patterns for the sides will just make the case, itself, tremendously easier.
Capt. Thaddeau:

You're more than welcome—that's one of the best reasons for this forum.

There's more than one way to skin this particular cat. Chang's were machined aluminum with found items and vacuformed plastic parts. When Desilu Props disassembled to make copies, they used other materials and methods as you are considering.

"Approaching the end of Season 1, it was decided extra tricorders were needed. The studio’s prop shop took apart at least the "A" unit (or maybe both) to help make their copies - in fiberglass, as discussed below - and once done they reassembled the original(s), albeit poorly, with wide gaps showing in "A's" seams. Then, some months later during the break between the first and second seasons, Wah's two were again disassembled and put back together, only this time with significant alterations. The control panel of “A” went into the body of “B” (and vice versa), so now the crossbar black switch is seen with the all-blue watch crowns. Also, more dramatically, the guts of both middle compartments were discarded, never to be seen again – in these or any other copies. This means that ANY alleged “screen-used” tricorder today that has its disk rack and moiré element is an absolute fake."

"Using their molds of Wah’s Kydex parts, the studio shop cast a demonstrable total of three in fiberglass. The control panel features crude knobs, a gold-painted fiberglass fabric in the square vent, and most notably – large hat pins for the three “lights.” It’s obvious the Desilu guys had no clue at the time what Wah used there for his indicator lights, but what’s nice for us is they (similar to Wah) arranged the pins in different color sequences in all three tricorders, making it possible to ID each in screencaps today."

"Season 3 saw two more tricorders appear, presumably also made by the studio shop. Instead of Kydex or fiberglass, though, the body's exterior is a thin leather-ish material stretched over wood panels. At least this time they replicated the indicator lights with jeweled watch crowns (again differing in color arrangement) and the control knobs are machined metal to match Wah’s original (slot car wheel) knobs."

"There was also seen a few times a crude stunt version, likely just a cardboard box or chunk of foam wrapped in black tape with painted lines. Nobody has any notion it actually survived..."—Herocomm.com

Member Bart Braun would probably build a TR-637 faceplate for you for $350 (all in, including a battery box) and/or the M-3 Microtronic Unit for $300. Neither would fit you scale if you decide to oversize as you mentioned.

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• Antique Roadshow.jpg
    Antique Roadshow.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
ugh. $650 for just 2 components. I'd really like to keep the whole build to less than $300.

I never watched the props as closely as clearly a lot of people have, so I had no idea about any of what you just shared. It does open up a lot of options for variability in my designs, and I do have a family member I am on good terms with who has experience with more advanced electronic props (you should see his Proton Pack), that could help with the electronics. I really like the Raspberry Pi build and want to do something like that.

Anything else you want to elucidate on on this subject, I am all ears (eyes?). Or, if it's already written on somewhere, links are just as helpful.

I am NOT a tricorder expert nor am I recommending you wait for this product, but you might be interested to learn that The Wand Company has been working on a tricorder for a few years: The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

If/when it comes to fruition, it will be highly accurate for the price and have lots of neat capabilities. That said, it's way behind schedule and there haven't been updates in a while so who knows what the real timeline is. They've knocked their previous Star Trek props out of the park though.

Edit to add that this tricorder is PHENOMENAL Macnmike, simply stunning and all your hard work paid off. Thank you for sharing it!

I am NOT a tricorder expert nor am I recommending you wait for this product, but you might be interested to learn that The Wand Company has been working on a tricorder for a few years: The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

If/when it comes to fruition, it will be highly accurate for the price and have lots of neat capabilities. That said, it's way behind schedule and there haven't been updates in a while so who knows what the real timeline is. They've knocked their previous Star Trek props out of the park though.
I am already signed up for their updates and very much look forward to it.
Unfortunately, it doesn't help me win cosplay contests. I need my own build.

You could also get a Diamond Select Tricorder. While not perfect, they would do just fine for cosplay.
Yep. Looking for one and for the communicator. Already have the phaser. They are being re-released. But, like Master Replicas and Wand Company, won't win contests, and my wife still needs a way to carry her purse contents while cosplaying with me.
I still need my own build.

ugh. $650 for just 2 components. I'd really like to keep the whole build to less than $300.

I never watched the props as closely as clearly a lot of people have, so I had no idea about any of what you just shared. It does open up a lot of options for variability in my designs, and I do have a family member I am on good terms with who has experience with more advanced electronic props (you should see his Proton Pack), that could help with the electronics. I really like the Raspberry Pi build and want to do something like that.

Anything else you want to elucidate on on this subject, I am all ears (eyes?). Or, if it's already written on somewhere, links are just as helpful.
C.T.:

Sadly, money is always an object in this little hobby of ours—we do what we can, not what we cans't.

Please, advise specifically what parts of "this subject" you would like elucidated.

In the meantime, here's the Link to the Wayback Machine's archiving of the tricorder section of Herocomm.com. Most of the photos are now gone, but this still has relevant info. Surviving Tricorders

You'll have to do a little digging, but the Star Trek Prop Authority has several related articles: Design Features of Screen Used TOS Tricorders

Best. Mike.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back