Bandai 1/72 Tie Interceptor (a must read!)

korben44

Master Member
Boredom... That's all I can say about the chaotic way I go about doing my modeling projects. I get going on one, then I have to start on another, just to break up the monotony of working on the same thing for an extended period of time. I also get to thinking about what I need to finish a project, order it, and have to wait for it to get delivered before I can continue. In this case, I started working on my Hoth/Echo Base diorama. Three vehicles in, I busted out my 1/144th Bandai Millennium Falcon, a kit I've already started modding, and realized I needed more Shapeways parts before I could continue working on it. Technically, I could have done things to it that would have occupied my time waiting for the other parts to come in, but hey... I have so many other kits just lying around waiting to get some attention.

I looked through my stash...and after a few minutes of fighting with myself (trying to justify what kit I wanted to do), I settled on the Tie Interceptor. I've done this kit in a Finemolds variation but needed Bandai's more accurate kit to accompany the other Tie variants I've already done. So, last night I started priming the Interceptor. Funny thing is, I already started working on this kit a few months back. But, my wandering thoughts took me elsewhere and she ended up getting stuffed on my 'kits waiting to be put together' shelf.

Anyhoo... Like most of my projects, I start with priming the whole thing in Mr. Hobby's Mr. Finisher 1500 Black. This is, by far, the best primer I've ever used. It is a lacquer based primer, so you will need a lacquer thinner, or Mr. Hobby's thinner (the latter is what I use currently, but since it is so expensive, I'm going to switch to a lacquer thinner I'll pick up from Lowe's or Home Depot). I apply the primer with my trusty Badger Renegade Krome airbrush. A wonderful piece I picked up from AC Moore with a 55% off one item coupon and my 15% veterans discount. I think I paid under $90 for it out the door. I may pick up another one just because of that.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the post primer job, so you will just have to take my word, for now, that it goes on like butter on a hot piece of toast. What I truly love about this primer, is that it goes on smooth and dries nearly instantly. That means you can sand it within minutes of applying it, but if I'm being honest, I rarely sand my primed models. The reason I don't is simple: Star Wars ships, especially on the Rebel/Resistance side, are dirty and grimy. Not sanding adds to that griminess and makes for a much more believable model. Now, some guys don't prime Bandai kits because of the color molding they do. What I'm going to say to that is, do what floats your boat. For me, having a primed base coat allows me to have an additional layer of paint and provides protection for the plastic underneath... Especially when I start weathering with oils and odorless mineral spirits. And if I'm going to be doing some chipping effects, the added paint layer gives more levels of paint.

Ok, ok... I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here... First up is detailing the interior and other parts that will be hidden but I know that they are there. And in doing so, makes for good conversation starters when showing off my artwork to non-Star Wars people (mainly my family). Of course, the great people here at the RPF will appreciate the attention to detail, so there is that.

Ah... I must say that modeling Star Wars stuff is my happy place... My source of peace, Zen, and tranquility. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. It's a release from the constant drudging of life and a way to relive my childhood. It's an artform... And a form of meditation. An escape to a galaxy far, far away...

Once the finer detailing is complete, I then move on to weathering. My secret here is just plain old oil pants with an occasional helping from powdered pastels. I use Winton oil paints. Mostly primary colors with some variations of brown thrown in. My list of colors includes the following:
  • Lamp Black
  • Titanium White
  • Burnt Umber
  • A Dark Brown
  • Ochre
  • Yellow
  • Blue
  • Red
That's it for oils. Pastels I'll use anything that accomplishes the finishing touches I'm looking for. I also do some dry brushing with Rub 'n Buff silver and/or pewter. They tend to give that nice small metal glimmer detailing that really makes the model 'pop'. After all that dries, I'll hit the whole model with a dusting of clear coat mixed with a small amount of flat base.

I know that I have never gone to this length to describe my process or how I approach modeling in general, but I figured it was time to share with the amazing people on this forum what goes through my head when I'm doing one of the things I love the most in this world... Besides drinking a nice cold beer while eating a burger covered in bacon and mac and cheese! I hope you took the time to read this and enjoyed my thoughts. Below are the results of my manic process from the mind a Star Wars nerd who is just a big kid at heart...

Last edited:
Here's what I've got so far:

PSX_20190502_223338.jpg PSX_20190502_223307.jpg

Bandai, as we all know, does such a great job with the 'little things'. They add details that will most likely never be seen, but at a bit of fun and flare their kits. My eyes are tired, and the two beers I had while modeling didn't help with keeping them open. Friday is quickly approaching which means it's the weekend and I can dedicate many more hours to my craft!

Thanks for the insight regarding your processes, Korben.
I've been building kits for a couple of years now, but I have multiple hobbies so I don't put in as much time on models as a lot of you guys do, and I knew nothing about painting when I started so I've relied on YouTube and groups like this to learn so I always love seeing the techniques some members use.
And I tend to go at models very much like you seem to. I never just have one project going, it's usually 2 larger projects along with several small builds or additions to or revisions of previous builds.
Anyway, great read and excellent info.
A man can never build too many TIEs.

Thanks for the insight regarding your processes, Korben.
I've been building kits for a couple of years now, but I have multiple hobbies so I don't put in as much time on models as a lot of you guys do, and I knew nothing about painting when I started so I've relied on YouTube and groups like this to learn so I always love seeing the techniques some members use.
And I tend to go at models very much like you seem to. I never just have one project going, it's usually 2 larger projects along with several small builds or additions to or revisions of previous builds.
Anyway, great read and excellent info.
A man can never build too many TIEs.

Thanks, Jimmer! I'm glad I can contribute to this community... I started building, seriously, kits a short 4 years ago, and I've learned so much since then. I'll have to find my first kit (which is disassembled in a box somewhere) and post pictures of where I started. Youtube is a great source of information, just like the RPF. Coming from an artistic family ( my mom and sister paint and sell their works for a living), this type of art is my niche and specialty. While they deal with 2d canvases, my medium lies with 3d artwork. I've been asked by some (mostly on IG and facebook) if I could share my process, so this little write up has been the start of that. I plan on making a few videos of how I paint and weather models, so those are going to be lots of fun!

And just like that...magic! The transformation from molded plastic on sprues in a box, to finished product, is truly a miracle. A huge part of it goes to the meticulous engineering behind making these Bandai Star Wars kits. I'm just a vessel that helps transport the ideas of great men and women to a visual spectacle. It is, therefore, the duty of every model maker to put their best efforts forward.

PSX_20190503_230651.jpg PSX_20190503_230817.jpg PSX_20190503_230857.jpg PSX_20190503_230941.jpg PSX_20190503_231021.jpg PSX_20190503_231101.jpg

Hey korben, thanks for sharing another terrific thread with more insights into your ‘how /why’ modelling methodology.
I’ve been wanting to share some of my work too, but posting images on here is a frustrating nightmare - as mentioned before, I really am a ‘noob’ when it comes to most things computer related, re-imaging photos, pasting/copying links, etc...., this being said, I have managed to post/share work of my Deago MF build on FB (after numerous tutorials from my daughter!):confused:.
There’s a bunch of early WIP stuff mods/scratch, as well as recent updates.
I started it late last year (FB) specifically for gaining more access to what was out there (sites/info) regarding this item. The personal social stuff isn’t really my thing:whistle:, so the page(?) is 99% MF orientated.
Anyway if your good self (or anyone else), is interested in having a gander at my attempts at this particular build, then please feel free to do so.
Any & All feedback is welcomed. It’s under ‘Gerard MacDonald’ - my own page(?), I did say my daughter helped setting it up :lol:

Ged

Hope it wasn’t too obtrusive sharing this info here mate :sick:, but you and so many others here have been very generous with time, help and advice - I just wanted to return that in some small way.(y)

Last edited:
Hey korben, thanks for sharing another terrific thread with more insights into your ‘how /why’ modelling methodology.
I’ve been wanting to share some of my work too, but posting images on here is a frustrating nightmare - as mentioned before, I really am a ‘noob’ when it comes to most things computer related, re-imaging photos, pasting/copying links, etc...., this being said, I have managed to post/share work of my Deago MF build on FB (after numerous tutorials from my daughter!):confused:.
There’s a bunch of early WIP stuff mods/scratch, as well as recent updates.
I started it late last year (FB) specifically for gaining more access to what was out there (sites/info) regarding this item. The personal social stuff isn’t really my thing:whistle:, so the page(?) is 99% MF orientated.
Anyway if your good self (or anyone else), is interested in having a gander at my attempts at this particular build, then please feel free to do so.
Any & All feedback is welcomed. It’s under ‘Gerard MacDonald’ - my own page(?), I did say my daughter helped setting it up :lol:

Ged

Hope it wasn’t too obtrusive sharing this info here mate :sick:, but you and so many others here have been very generous with time, help and advice - I just wanted to return that in some small way.(y)

It's not a problem at all, Ged! I'll check your fb stuff out and add you as a friend... Just look for a request from Kristopher Wandall... That's me ;)

Ged... You'll have to add me. I can't seem to find your profile on Facebook.

Apologies Kris,
I’m not sure how to add (?) .... though my page is open to the public I’m sure, and seeing’s there’s quite a few people with this name - mines got a black & white ‘Sandman’ headshot as it’s avatar/profile pic. It’ll be under Gerard MacDonald with that pic.
If you’d provide me with a ‘how to add’ I’d be more than happy to.
Not sure, but someone just started ‘following’ (?) me..., not even sure what that means !?
Jeez, that title my daughter’s labeled me ‘noob’ is really an insult to other honest noobs !:sick:

p.s. Just ‘looked’ your name up - which Kristopher Wandall are you on there !? :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Apologies Kris,
I’m not sure how to add (?) .... though my page is open to the public I’m sure, and seeing’s there’s quite a few people with this name - mines got a black & white ‘Sandman’ headshot as it’s avatar/profile pic. It’ll be under Gerard MacDonald with that pic.
If you’d provide me with a ‘how to add’ I’d be more than happy to.
Not sure, but someone just started ‘following’ (?) me..., not even sure what that means !?
Jeez, that title my daughter’s labeled me ‘noob’ is really an insult to other honest noobs !:sick:

p.s. Just ‘looked’ your name up - which Kristopher Wandall are you on there !? :lol::lol::lol:

I found you! However, your account isn't allowing to add friends, so maybe your daughter can help you fix that. gt350pony66 is the other guy who started following you...

That is really a sweet pic.
I could be wrong, but it seems like you once mentioned in a different TIE thread that you were assembling a group of various models of TIES.
I remember thinking that would make a great shelf display, and it most certainly does.
Beautiful work !!

Thanks, Jimmer! I have a couple of Special Forces First Order Ties as well. Just include them in this picture.

Like most of my projects, I start with priming the whole thing in Mr. Hobby's Mr. Finisher 1500 Black. This is, by far, the best primer I've ever used. It is a lacquer based primer, so you will need a lacquer thinner, or Mr. Hobby's thinner (the latter is what I use currently, but since it is so expensive, I'm going to switch to a lacquer thinner I'll pick up from Lowe's or Home Depot).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Bandai plastics susceptible to weakening and potentially even cracking if sprayed with lacquers?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Bandai plastics susceptible to weakening and potentially even cracking if sprayed with lacquers?

Well, I use nothing but Mr. Hobby Mr. Finisher 1500 Black on all my Bandai models and haven't experienced any significant weakening or breaking. I've probably completed 20+ kits with that primer. I have not noticed any cracking in the plastic kits I have that wasn't of my own doing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back