Bandai 1/144 ROS Falcon kit as ESB/ROTJ era Falcon? That's my goal. And I seem to have reached it. Now it needs a few friends in its scale...

Definitely the 5ft falcon! Awesome!
Cheers,
Josh
I worked on her all day today. It kept looking too clean... finally I just started covering it with thin gray wash & dabbing it up with paper towels... in a way I think it STILL looks too clean, but I must restrain myself. The temptation to go too far is always there. Ever see a Falcon model that someone went too far with weathering? It looks like a burnt chocolate chip cookie of irregular shape. ;)
I've never done this level of tiny painting (or scratch additions) ever before. It's totally not easy.

Last edited:
I worked on her all day today. It kept looking too clean... finally I just started covering it with thin gray wash & dabbing it up with paper towels... in a way I think it STILL looks too clean, but I must restrain myself. The temptation to go too far is always there. Ever see a Falcon model that someone went too far with weathering? It looks like a burnt chocolate chip cookie of irregular shape. ;)
I've never done this level of tiny painting (or scratch additions) ever before. It's totally not easy.
It looks a little clean but thats because the panel colours haven't been toned down/ faded by overspray. The 5ft falcon seemed to have more colourful panels than the 32" though so I think it works just fine. A dirty yellow filter changes it up a lot... like a wash but more lightly moving paint around. Did you see fichtenfoos you tube tutorials?
Its hard as the models weren't washed but had effects like toothbrush splatter. You dont see the splatter from a distance but you still perceive the tone. Toothbrush splatter on a 32" model is one thing but they become awful big blobs on a 1/72 or 1/ 144 so different techniques are required. I said doing mine that the studio style weathering just does not scale down well but having an understanding of what they did allows you to reproduce the look in other ways.

I think its looking great. And less is more on the engines which you have achieved.... no dirty big black lines.
Cheers,
Josh

Did you see fichtenfoos you tube tutorials?
No, but I just did now. That's a great video. I kinda did a stone knives & bearskins version of that with enamels & thinner. My whole thing is 1) how can you reproduce the look of a movie ship with entirely different materials, and 2) how can you do it cheaply?
If I had a garage or a studio I probably would have had an airbrush set up long ago, but this is me, in a small home, not allowed to create smells & such. It's a challenge, but I still enjoy when I can succeed.

Last edited:
No, but I just did now. That's a great video. I kinda did a stone knives & bearskins version of that with enamels & thinner. My whole thing is 1) how can you reproduce the look of a movie ship with entirely different materials, and 2) how can you do it cheaply?
If I had a garage or a studio I probably would have had an airbrush set up long ago, but this is me, in a small home, not allowed to create smells & such. It's a challenge, but I still enjoy when I can succeed.

Another good video is of Steve doing the paint the Deagostini falcon if you haven't seen it... some useful pointers in there.

1) Well you cant exactly, but you can trick your brain into thinking it's seeing the same thing. Im not always great at explaining myself but thats where I was headed with the yellow toothbrush splatter story. On the studio model the yellow splatter gives off a hue. You can't brush splatter a smaller model effectively but by brushing a thin yellow filter over it your brain still registers a yellow hue. Using a brush to simulate overspray might be a bit harder though.... dry stippling perhaps.

2)cheaply? It depends how cheap I guess. More than once Ive entirely painted models with cheap acrylics with the addition of some pva for adhesion.
In the case of the Falcon I did spend a few dollars on tamiya enamels for the base colour and panels. The weathering was cheap water based acrylics. I did also spend $40 or so on a pack of weathering powders but that will see me through multiple builds.
If talking equipment I have no fancy anything. Razor blades, tweezers and some sand paper.
Im fortunate to have an airbrush and compressor as tools of trade so didn't have to buy one specifically for hobby purposes but to be fair thats a few hundred dollars.

I understand where you're coming from being in a small house. I recall living situations where I could basically do nothing.
Nowadays I will cover the dining table and airbrush water based paints there but am lucky to be able to walk outside to a shed for any enamels.... not to mention its usually warm here in Queensland so Im not slowed down by cold temperatures.

I hope my comment on the overspray wasn't seen as negative I'm sorry... just an observation on you're comment of it still seeming clean and not wanting to weather it further.
You achieved a fantastic result and I for one would display that proudly.
Cheers,
Josh

"Did you finish the model this time?"
"Well maybe I didn't do every tiny little detail no, but basically I finished it, yeah." ;)
IMG_20210422_180151.jpg
IMG_20210422_180047.jpg
IMG_20210422_175947.jpg
IMG_20210422_180550.jpg
IMG_20210422_180629.jpg
IMG_20210422_180311.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome 5footer! That colour looks spot on.

Sneaking this browse in during work time so gotta be quick haha

Feel relieved its done? Its such a giant undertaking. And to get to the end and see a great result is more comforting than anything.
Cheers,
Josh

Oh, how you feeling about the no glass?
Looks great to me, you dont question it in any way.
Don't miss it, actually, especially at this scale. On an X-Wing I would, but here it works... like invisible glass for space travel.
I'm so happy its done. So many of the details I added don't even show up on these pictures, but I see 'em in person.
Thanks Josh, for sparking my interest for an ESB Falcon with your Fine Molds excellent build. (y)

Funny, all the dirt & grime I layed onto this model is washed out in certain pictures ... just like in the original movie.
That's fine, it looks so good in person, it's a win for me.
IMG_20210422_192218.jpg

Last edited:
Funny, all the dirt & grime I layed onto this model is washed out in certain pictures ...
I had the same issue. I made the same comment on Analyzers red squadron thread and the reply was thats why the studio models were weathered so heavily and multi coloured panelled to try and get them to show up on screen.

All that scaled down grime gets easily washed out by bright light when photographing.

Cheers,
Josh

My wrap up here: this Bandai Rise Of Skywalker kit is excellent, and all the Disney crap is pretty easy to leave off/modify into ESB mode. Accurizing the underside access wells was the only difficult part.
I had originally wanted a 1/72 Fine Molds kit, but oh man it was so out of my price range... the Fine Molds 1/144 was within reach, but upon examination online I just felt the details were softer than the (actually less expensive) Bandai kit. So I went with doing the ESB 5 footer instead of the ESB 32 incher. Which turned out to be the best choice for ME. An airbrush would have made a lot of this way easier, but why spend money when aggravation & muttering curse words can get you through? I even added details that don't show in pictures, but then, that's just for me.
So, not as super thrilled with it as I am with my MPC X-Wing, but pretty close. Thanks to all you guys who followed my snail's pace with this one!
IMG_20210423_153257.jpg

A job well done! I don't envy all that streaking over the hull you had to apply.

What's your next project on the cards?

Cheers,
Josh
I actually just now touched up some of the rust streaks, and lightened the two yellow panels a bit. When dry, I'll sand it verrrrry lightly, and THEN it will be truly finished. But that's just a tiny thing for me.
Next up is an X-Wing & two TIE fighters in the same scale to keep the Falcon company/harass it. ;)
IMG_20210425_165118.jpg
IMG_20210425_165221.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back