Bag end mailbox 1/1 scale

oysteinhole

Bag end mailbox project

Love the design on these Shire mailboxes and specially the one outside bag end

so started to take pictures a little into the project , so here it is from the wood work and out ;)

IMG_3692.JPG IMG_3693.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG IMG_3706.JPG IMG_3709.JPG IMG_3715.JPG
IMG_3716.JPG IMG_3717.JPG IMG_3710.JPG IMG_3723.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG IMG_3726.JPG IMG_3729.JPG IMG_3730.JPG

The magic happened when the stain comes on ....over to some Worbla details

Tok the resin out when they still where warm and flexible ...bendt them over so they took the same curve as the mailbox

Last edited:
I just started a project like this! I live in an actual underground home and after visiting Hobbiton I decided that I would recreate the mailbox and gate as the entrance to my home. The only part I know I'll have a hard time with are the fleur de lis straps. Any chance i could but a set of castings from you? It looks amazing.

I just started a project like this! I live in an actual underground home and after visiting Hobbiton I decided that I would recreate the mailbox and gate as the entrance to my home. The only part I know I'll have a hard time with are the fleur de lis straps. Any chance i could but a set of castings from you? It looks amazing.

No problem ...can cast you a set ore 2

back home in 10 days PM me then ;)

Awesome project! I'm doing something similar now only mine will be functional. As in... the door can open. I'm at the stage of finishing the fleur des lis casts. Any clues on how to get that old wrought iron look? My casts are black epoxy. Should I start with a metal spray and cover partly in matt black/dark grey? Or is there another trick to it?

Ok, I ended up using just the dark grey color of the epoxy (which was matt) and I touched some spots with dark silver. Looks good enough now :)

So... This is what I ended up with. My only job left is to bolt it down in the front yard. Hopefully it will not get stolen... Excuse the lousy filter my phone put over the image. When it is out in it's place I'll take some daylight pictures.
View attachment 942160
This is fantastic work. I know what you mean about worrying. Its what's kept me from building a themed mailbox. But surprisingly, I've found that when something looks nice people, in general, leave things alone. Again, you've done great work.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back