Bad plot holes in good movies...

Not really a plot hole but those Marines didn't seem shocked at the mention of an alien life form which leads you to wonder what else they found crawling around the Aliens universe

Well, there are those sexy, sexy Arcturians.

In The Goonies, I still want to know how Mikey got his hand out of the locked booby trap, and how all the Goonies safely got reunited with Data after Data's fall. They totally just skipped the facts....and yeah,...i said booby.

ok, the modern Time Machine

His girlfriend gets splatted twice, so he goes all emo and sits in his time machine. The usual comedy mishaps and he's flung into the far future, we watch everything change from his point of view before it stops and some woman going to work dressed in gym clothes (the fashion of the future) mistakes his time machine for a Starbucks......

........at no point does someone point to the blue light in the corner of the house and say "oh look, there's that bloke from LA Confidential siting perfectly motionless and his espresso machine is omitting a blue hue while we just get on with our day for the next 400 years........that seems weird, ho hum, on with the vacuuming"

In the George Pal film, whenever the time machine traveled through time, it was seen to disappear by outside observers.

In the new film, after he defeats Jeremy Irons and sees the desolate distant future, Guy Pearce goes back to save Mara, who is trying to free herself from a cage. The time machine appears from a flash of blue light when he returns.

I'm guessing the machine and it's occupant(s) can't be seen or interacted with at all when it's traveling.

In The Goonies, I still want to know how Mikey got his hand out of the locked booby trap, and how all the Goonies safely got reunited with Data after Data's fall. They totally just skipped the facts....and yeah,...i said booby.

First one I got no answer for, but the second one, after Datas fall, there is a rope. When the Fertellis look down the hole, you can see the rope, where they got it, I have no idea.

In the George Pal film, whenever the time machine traveled through time, it was seen to disappear by outside observers.

In the new film, after he defeats Jeremy Irons and sees the desolate distant future, Guy Pearce goes back to save Mara, who is trying to free herself from a cage. The time machine appears from a flash of blue light when he returns.

I'm guessing the machine and it's occupant(s) can't be seen or interacted with at all when it's traveling.

That's what I always thought even going back to Pal's movie, especially at the end where they run into the lab and the machine is gone yet it's in that area in the future.

Yes but the question asked (to which you quoted me) was- were there ANY aliens ever encountered before in the Aliens universe (other than the Xenomorphs).

As already mentioned- there were at least the Aucturians.

Kevin

I always assumed on the fifth element that the priest let the alien out after getting the key from him when his hand is smashed.

Sorry, but the line from the smoking lady in regards to lifeforms present on LV426 was:

"No, It's a rock...no indigenous life."
That's true about LV-426, but they also mentioned other planets, "over three hundred surveyed worlds". I got the impression from the delivery that they had encountered life on some of these planets, just nothing like the Alien.

And don't forget that they did have a name for the creature, as it was described by Ripley. A society that's never encountered alien life is unlikely to come up with a name like "xenomorph", which is remarkably specific in its description of the Alien.

And, of course, the nose art on the dropship. "We endanger species". Why would a statement like that be on the nose art of the Colonial Marines, if all of the known planets were only inhabited by human colonists?

I believe there were absolutely other alien life forms in the known galaxy at the time of the second film, but that they were much more "normal" life forms, just different versions of things that we already knew about.

There is also the little exchange between Ferro/Vasquez/Hudson about what Ripley's purpose on the mission is:

Vasquez: "Mira! Who's Snow White?"

Ferro: "She's supposed to be some kind of consultant; apparently she saw and alien once." :rolleyes

Hudson: "Well whoopie ****ing doo! Hey I'm impressed."

I always took this as: Ripley has seen one alien once. Whereas the Marines have seen (possibly) dozens of creatures on dozens of far away Worlds... and killed them all.

So Ripley saw an alien once? Big deal. The Marines have seen plenty.

Of course the point is that the Marines have never encountered an Alien as ferocious as the one that they are about to this time, and their over confidence lands them in deep trouble.

Also I'm not so sure the name "Xenomorph" is specifically for these particular Aliens. I always took it as a blanket term for any non-humanoid, unitelligent, hostile aliens the Marines might encounter. The Marines call them "bugs" but the "official" term is Xenomorph.

Kevin

I really thought I would enjoy the first Mission: Impossible movie when it came out but it had too many plot holes.
However, I really enjoyed National Treasure 2 even though it had a huge plot hole.
SPOILERS!
The whole reason for the action of the movie is nonsense. Mitch Wilkinson (Ed Harris)wants his family name to go down in history. He has a lost page of John Wilkes Booth's diary so he puts a lot of work into forging something on it so Benjamin Gates family will be implicated in the killing of Abe Lincoln, that way Gates will find hidden historical treasure. Wilkinson will hire people and spend lots of money all around to kidnap and try kill Gates and his family. So his family name will go down as a finder of the treasure. :confused
How about he donates the page to a museum without tampering with it and his family name will go down as a benifactor of a lost piece of history?

Wolf

Xenomorph is the scientific proper name for "alien". It is from two Greek words that mean "foreign" and "form". It can be used for any unknown life form until identification is made. Not a new term, and not unique to the Aliens universe. You're right, it is a blanket term.

"Xeno" (pronounced ex-zeno" is still the common Greek term for foreigner, same sort of sentiment that "haole" means in Hawaiian, "gaiijin" means in Japanese", and "barbarian" meant to western Europeans, Anglo Saxons, and anyone from the Roman Empire.

There is also the little exchange between Ferro/Vasquez/Hudson about what Ripley's purpose on the mission is:

Vasquez: "Mira! Who's Snow White?"

Ferro: "She's supposed to be some kind of consultant; apparently she saw and alien once." :rolleyes

Hudson: "Well whoopie ****ing doo! Hey I'm impressed."

I always took this as: Ripley has seen one alien once. Whereas the Marines have seen (possibly) dozens of creatures on dozens of far away Worlds... and killed them all.

So Ripley saw an alien once? Big deal. The Marines have seen plenty.

Kevin

I thought they ment, "Ah shes just crazy. It was probably something normal she witnessed."

Your interpretation is better. I dont like the idea of having a Star Wars like universe with different spieces all over. But your points are valid, and it seems plausible thats what Cameron ment.

I really thought I would enjoy the first Mission: Impossible movie when it came out but it had too many plot holes.
However, I really enjoyed National Treasure 2 even though it had a huge plot hole.
SPOILERS!
The whole reason for the action of the movie is nonsense. Mitch Wilkinson (Ed Harris)wants his family name to go down in history. He has a lost page of John Wilkes Booth's diary so he puts a lot of work into forging something on it so Benjamin Gates family will be implicated in the killing of Abe Lincoln, that way Gates will find hidden historical treasure. Wilkinson will hire people and spend lots of money all around to kidnap and try kill Gates and his family. So his family name will go down as a finder of the treasure. :confused
How about he donates the page to a museum without tampering with it and his family name will go down as a benifactor of a lost piece of history?

Wolf

Yeah I always thought the plot of NT2 was a bent and twisted attempt at sending Ben after another treasure. Like they brute-forced the Lincoln conspiracy plot just to get them on another treasue hunt.

SPOILERS!

Wolf
The one thing I'm thinking about all that, especially by the end when you find out the guy's motivation, was "Why didn't you just ask?" Gates would have helped if you'd just asked him. Of course, it wouldn't have made for as interesting a film, but still.

The main thing that bugged me was in the original Superman film (Christopher Reeve).

So, the earthquake happens because of the nuclear bomb hitting the San Andreas Fault and poor Lois Lane dies by falling into a fissure. Superman turns back time and you see everything reversing and as far as I am aware he then just goes back to see Lois Lane. Now, he hasn't sorted out those pesky bombs had he? So he should arrive in time to see her die again. Yeah, we could suppose that he dealt with the bombs but it doesn't come across like that.

Another thing that bugged me was in Jurassic Park: The T-Rex breaks through its fence and stomps around a bit and then strangely pushes one of the cars back through its fence down a HUGE ravine. There is no huge ravine when you see the cars arriving - you even get a nice overhead shot to introduce the scene. Stoopid.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back