Back to The Future I: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition - DONE!!!

Re: Back to The Future II: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition

... Also, was the Red Ryder ad part of the original comic or was it added by the props dept?

The Red Ryder ad was the on back cover of 'Smash Comics' #17, from December 1940. It was probably used on other comics at the time as well.

Yes, that's correct. But I got a scan of that page in a very high resolution from TomVDJ and his permission to use it for a free downloadable replica. Thereon (a few weeks later) he posted the scan in the BTTF paper prop thread.

... So, is anyone able to confirm whether this subscription page is in the comic? ...

That page is not in the downloaded comic. But that doesn't mean anything, since the guy, who made the file, removed (almost) all adverts. So I have to wait for my real paper comic and check it again.

Here's a new find. This page is visible for a short moment in the movie. Could be a page, where you can order a subscription. The white box on the bottom of the page looks like an address field / order form for cutting out.

Is there any comic, which has that subscription order page?

back-future-tales_from_space_5.jpg-93360d1336192953

I just got a copy of the Sinister House comic, and I can confirm that this same page IS in the book. It's the inside front cover, and it's not a subscription page, but another Daisy BB gun ad. :lol

I will post a photo in a few minutes.

Gotta get me one of these now and upgrade my Jedifyfe comic. :D

I'm not surprised all the originals are the same, they probably just bought a few from the same rack.

I just got a copy of the Sinister House comic, and I can confirm that this same page IS in the book. It's the inside front cover, and it's not a subscription page, but another Daisy BB gun ad. :lol

I will post a photo in a few minutes.

Daniel, you made my day! :lol

I'm still waiting for my comic (shipping from US to Europe may take longer), but now the last doubts have been removed, that we have the correct comic.

smilie_happy_011.gif

Great job determining the inside comic!
I bid on one on Ebay, hopefully I win and people dont jack these prices up like they did with the Fantastic Story!
Thanks for figuring this out.

... I bid on one on Ebay, hopefully I win and people dont jack these prices up like they did with the Fantastic Story! ...

Yes, that could happen. That's the reason why I bought one before I posted the name of the comic here. ;)

I think it's still available for a good price, but I recommend to all of you: don't wait too long!

Not to ruin any detail oriented guys day, but apparently there are 2 versions of this book. There is the regular and what is referred to as the "jewelers variant." Basically, it is the same book, but the Jewelers variant has an insert for a Jewelery store it it (not sure if it was loose or stapled...probably the latter). Apparently for a couple months both DC and Marvel had books with this insert. This insert may have been put into book that were shipped near military bases (that is one persons idea). The Jeweler's variant's are rarer and may be more expensive.

You wanna contact the guy with the original or leave well enough alone? It is likely the standard version.

Hi HandSolo,

that's good to know, but probably just interesting for comic collectors. We are talking about a movie prop: If there was a loose insert in the comic, I'm sure that the prop makers removed it before using the comic for the movie.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back