Back to The Future I: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition - DONE!!!

Discussion in 'Free Replica Paper Props' started by Roland, May 2, 2012.

1. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Update: Correct book was found! The Search is over now! Look at post #23!

The title of this thread says it all: Me and a lot of other BTTF fans are searching for a comic book. The comic was used for the inner pages of the "Tales From Space" comic, which appears in the first movie. Only one page from that comic is known:

[​IMG]

It's assumed that the comic was from the beginning of the 1980s (maybe 1983 or 1984).

If we find the correct comic, one of my next replica projects will be the "Tales From Space" comic. Of course as usual: free downloadable for everyone. :)

And here's the deal: the first user, who post the correct comic (name and issue) here in this thread, is the winner. The prize is:

1 printed and bound "Tales From Space" comic book (after I've made the files)
    1 printed and bound "Grays Sports Almanac" with silver reflective background

Both books will be handmade (by me) out of my PDF files.

BUT: only post the comic book name, if you are 100 % sure, that the page from the picture shown above is in that book. You will not win, if you just post names of hundreds of possible comics.

The search has started. Good luck! :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. Brigandia36

Brigandia36 Sr Member

re: Back to The Future II: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition

1st . There is no numbers for the pages. (Normal ?)
    2nd . The guy with the blue costume has a pickaxe and wearing glasses.

3. youngpaddy1

youngpaddy1 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There is actually a page number in the bottom right of the lowest frame.
    and te only bit of speech I can work out is You've killed him! from the fourth frame.

4. whitehammer

whitehammer Well-Known Member

Ive got an old Spiderman complilation annual (1970's) that has the word 'WHOMP' drawn exactly like that in one strip, so it could be a Marvel comic maybe? maybe even Spiderman?
    I'm not too sure if artists worked exclusively on stuff for one company though?

5. Roland

Here's a new find. This page is visible for a short moment in the movie. Could be a page, where you can order a subscription. The white box on the bottom of the page looks like an address field / order form for cutting out.

Is there any comic, which has that subscription order page?

[​IMG]

6. whitehammer

I think I may have got it!
    I think it's a "WEIRD FANTASY" Ive got them on pdf and checking now, Im sure I recognise the character!

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  7. Roland

I also have the first 22 issues of "Weird Fantasy" on my hard disc and I already checked them for the page shown above. But couldn't find anything. Can you tell us the exact number of the issue, where you found the page?

8. 80sguy

80sguy Active Member

Weird Fantasy only ran for 22 issues. I'm got a few of them too, I'll check it up. But paneling style doesn't looks quiet look like it.

9. whitehammer

*, I cant find the issue Im looking for! If you have already checked them, then I must be wrong :(

While I was typing this, my other half found this thread: Identification of a comic needed...

There is also a page that says that more than one of these were knocked up by the props dept: Tales From Space Comic

The guys on the comics forum think it could even be more than one issue glued together.

If so, it may be impossible to make a definitive version.

Looks like I was premature, sorry.
    I'm still 95% sure Ive seen this in my collection, I'll keep looking.

10. whitehammer

Heres something to cheer you all up:

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  11. 80sguy

80sguy Active Member

That's usually how it is with props. They always make backups of everything because scenes get shot over and over in different angles. It's possible that each backup was attached to different comics since it wasn't going to seen clearly on screen.

Judging by the style of the art though (and from the posts on the other board about it) it looks like it could be from the late 70s-80s. If it was from the 50s or 60s, the interior would have been more yellow and aged by now.

12. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck guys.

I might be selling my large original print of this cover soon. It is what I scanned and have used as my file for my TFS comics.

13. Roland

A run in the junkyard? :love

14. Soxbrother

Soxbrother Well-Known Member

The page style is definitely the same,
    so I guess we're looking in the right direction.

I've also looked at the "Weird Science" comics,
    but the page isn't in any of the issues, no luck there.

If we're ever going to find it, we'll probably have a good chance of finding it in here :

http://comicsgoldenage.wordpress.com/

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  15. Beechy McFly

Beechy McFly Sr Member

I'm thinking it looks like the ink work of Curt Swan.. IMO it looks like an issue of Gangbusters comic..

16. Soxbrother

Soxbrother Well-Known Member

For all I know, 80 or 90 % of these comics have the same or similar page style.

I think we need to look for comics like Weird Fantasy and all comics with the same cover style like the Tales from space cover.

Sounds logical that they choose a comic in the same style to fill it with.

I could be wrong, hopefully we'll know soon.

17. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

A PDF File was floating around, but I guess it's just a comic chosed randomly, it'S not the same as Brad used for his Comics...

18. 80sguy

80sguy Active Member

Not really actually. The Weird Fantasy and other similar comics from the 50s have paneling that's looks more squished and more text is usually crammed in as well to get the story in faster given each comic has like 3 stories in it. Plus the bubbling and text is different from the comics of that era. I don't think this is from the comic used was from that period, it looks more like from the late 70s to 80s. The style of art doesn't look quiet like that era either. I attached a page from Weird Fantasy to show what I mean.

19. Brigandia36

Brigandia36 Sr Member

Nothing on the page looks like space story, I am looking in 50's police comics.

Many blue costumes and smashing girls...

20. Brigandia36

Brigandia36 Sr Member

Is there a comic "N°8" Aug 54 ?

Because the Oh La La magazine was made in the same way.

21. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

I have a feeling that the prop makers simply reached into a cheapo comic box and pulled out any comic they had and wrapped the custom cover around it.

From the looks of the comic and the style of the art and characters it seems to be late 60's to mid 70's.
    I mean, the guy in the comic is wearing a suit and a bowtie with a hat (when did people stop wearing hats like that and bow ties.) and the woman has a 70's hairdo.

Might even be a reprint of some 60's comic.

22. whitehammer

I think the 1970's - 1980's is the correct era, I'm fairly sure (Not 100%) that the page was drawn by Curt Swan who was the artist for Superman among other things in 1984. There are a few posts by comic experts that I've already linked to in previous posts that think there are at least 2 comics glued together to give it that thickness.
    To support my Curt Swan suspicions, here's part of a strip he drew using the word "WHOMP" (Same as our mystery comic):

23. Roland

Re: Back to The Future II: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition

The search is over, guys! I found the correct comic.

I asked Jeff Hallman from "jhallman.com" for help and he put me on the right track. He is one of the owners of the three known complete "Tales From Space" comics and he told me, the real comic in his book is a "Secrets of Sinister House" from 1973. That was enough information for me, since there are only seven issues I had to search for. And I found it: It's issue #9 from February 1973. The picture in my first post (which is from Michael Chien from "hillvalleycity.com") can be found on page 11 of that issue.

Now I'm just waiting for an answer from Jeff to confirm me, that his comic inside is issue #9 too. I will keep you informed! ;)

I've just bought the comic book on ebay. :)

UPDATE 2 days later: I got an answer from Jeff and to his own surprise he has the same page 11 from issue #9 in his "Tales From Space" copy. He had always thought that each comic would have another real comic inside. Now we have at least two complete "Tales From Space" with exactly the same real comic inside. That increases the probability that they used this same issue for each copy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  24. Pitbull

Pitbull Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Back to The Future II: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition - DONE!!!

nice find roland :cool

25. Roland

Re: Back to The Future II: "Tales From Space" comic book search competition - DONE!!!

Thanks! Now I just need a hi-res copy of the cover artwork for free use. ;) Then we all will have an accurate "Tales From Space" comic for free download!

26. Roland

So that mystery is also solved. The page was drawn by DC comic artist Abe Ocampo. :)

27. Jedifyfe

I told you that eventually this secret would reveal itself. :lol

28. Beechy McFly

Beechy McFly Sr Member

Nicely investigated and find.. *Sigh* Does this mean I need to update this too?? :lol

29. Roland

When I finished my replica, it will be for free download as usual. So you only need a good color printer for your update. ;)

30. Pitbull

Pitbull Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

you ain't kidding bro I can breath now :lol Thanks for all your advice bro :thumbsup

31. Jedifyfe

LOL! I could tell that info was killing you inside!

32. cnickle1

cnickle1 Member

Thanks Roland. I just purchased one on ebay as well.

33. 80sguy

80sguy Active Member

You scanning the whole comic too? lol

I could probably find a copy easily or download it if needed haha. Knew it was from the 70s. Do you have a cover to work with.

34. Roland

The images shown in my post #23 are downloaded. I downloaded the whole comic - yes I know, I'm a really bad guy :lol. That's the usual resolution of comics, which you can find on the internet - too bad for my replica and so I bought the real comic (I haven't got it yet, but soon) and will scan it myself in 600 dpi.

35. OUTATIME1978

OUTATIME1978 Well-Known Member

I just bagged myself one aswell,cheers for the heads up Roland:thumbsup

36. Roland

I can already see that comic book becoming increasingly more expensive as the time goes on. Maybe I should buy more of them before it's too late?! :lol

No, kidding! I just need one. :D

37. Roland

UPDATE 2 days later: I got an answer from Jeff and to his own surprise he has the same page 11 from issue #9 in his "Tales From Space" copy. He had always thought that each comic would have another real comic inside. Now we have at least two complete "Tales From Space" with exactly the same real comic inside. That increases the probability that they used this same issue for each copy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  38. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Member

Un-Friki'n-Believable!
    I dont know how you manage to do it Roland. I'm still in shock from you finding the correct red lid from the donation can!!!

So, is anyone able to confirm whether this subscription page is in the comic?

Also, was the Red Ryder ad part of the original comic or was it added by the props dept?

39. DB537

DB537 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Red Ryder ad was the on back cover of 'Smash Comics' #17, from December 1940. It was probably used on other comics at the time as well.

40. whitehammer

After all those frustrating hours online searching, I've already got this * comic in my collection, I don't believe it....I really don't belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve it!!!!!! AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  41. Roland

Yes, that's correct. But I got a scan of that page in a very high resolution from TomVDJ and his permission to use it for a free downloadable replica. Thereon (a few weeks later) he posted the scan in the BTTF paper prop thread.

That page is not in the downloaded comic. But that doesn't mean anything, since the guy, who made the file, removed (almost) all adverts. So I have to wait for my real paper comic and check it again.

42. DB537

I just got a copy of the Sinister House comic, and I can confirm that this same page IS in the book. It's the inside front cover, and it's not a subscription page, but another Daisy BB gun ad. :lol

I will post a photo in a few minutes.

43. DB537

Here is the photo of the inside front cover.

44. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gotta get me one of these now and upgrade my Jedifyfe comic. :D

I'm not surprised all the originals are the same, they probably just bought a few from the same rack.

45. DB537

The pages are a bit wider than Jedifyfe's cover, (maybe a couple of millimeters) so it won't fit perfectly. :unsure

46. Roland

Daniel, you made my day! :lol

I'm still waiting for my comic (shipping from US to Europe may take longer), but now the last doubts have been removed, that we have the correct comic.

[​IMG]

47. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is just some awesome detective work. Great job all around.

-Gary

DB537 likes this.
  48. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Son of a...

49. formula388

formula388 Well-Known Member

Great job determining the inside comic!
    I bid on one on Ebay, hopefully I win and people dont jack these prices up like they did with the Fantastic Story!
    Thanks for figuring this out.

50. Roland

Yes, that could happen. That's the reason why I bought one before I posted the name of the comic here. ;)

I think it's still available for a good price, but I recommend to all of you: don't wait too long!