Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

Figured it would be interesting to share these pictures of the same cut/style Guess jacket that I had found on depop. Unfortunately the seller doesn't remember the tag number, but its worth a look anyhow. All the accurate details, sans the colors can be found and analyzed here.

I'm 90% certain Marty's jacket was actually a woman's jacket due to the red guess label (same with his pants), you see the green guess label is reserved for men. Really wish I could find the cut number though, not that it would have been readily available.
How long ago was this on depop? did you buy it?

I actually held a SA jacket in my hands. I found it at the Goodwill but it was $12.50, my mother would not let me get it. It has haunted me for 25+ years. It was beautiful, I remember standing there naming the people in the lining. I just got a Headgoonie replica for considerably more. Thanks mom.

Last edited:
I actually held a SA jacket in my hands. I found it at the Goodwill but it was $12.50, my mother would not let me get it. It has haunted me for 25+ years. It was beautiful, I remember standing there naming the people in the lining. I just got a Headgoonie replica for considerably more. Thanks mom.
Woah...if there were people in the lining, that wasn’t just a SA jacket, that was one of THE jackets used in the film! Can you remember where this goodwill store was? If it really was one of the Screen used jackets, it’d be interesting to know how far away from Universal it was

Woah...if there were people in the lining, that wasn’t just a SA jacket, that was one of THE jackets used in the film! Can you remember where this goodwill store was? If it really was one of the Screen used jackets, it’d be interesting to know how far away from Universal it was
That makes me feel so much better. *cry I really did I held it I even put it on but my mother said no. We had been there the day before, and this was newly on the rack that day. My mom never got anything for us unless it was the color of the week. Every so often the memory of if pops in my head and fills me with the the most horrid regret and loss. I finally got this repro to help make the memory go away. It was in Southern Maine, in Biddeford.

Last edited:
How long ago was this on depop? did you buy it?

I remember seeing that jacket sell a while ago.

What I thought was interesting about this jacket is that it differs from the usual 1984 release. I think by now it’s known that Marty wore an off the rack youth size Guess denim jacket made in 1984 as part of the “Dirt-Bike” line. Dirt Bike referring to the lining used in these jackets at the time, before changing to the spell out lining and then the football player lining from 85/86-

Guess released two versions of this jacket, one being the youth size in the accurate grey/blue denim and the other being the standard size in blue/tan leather. Guess also made corresponding vests in the same colour ways and design (only difference being a seam running along the back of the vests)
E556A02A-2CC8-4A91-9981-B69A984BD93B.jpeg

2230CEF3-89F1-4837-9378-8EEB2011B014.jpeg

What’s interesting about this jacket (well at least to me) is that it follows a different design, more closely resembling the later jackets with the spell out lining. Like the one owned by fellow RPF member Lyon Estates. They both have the same snap placement and even the two rows of stitching around the elastic waist. It could possibly be a jacket in-between a design change, trying out something new before the new lining came in?
DB051D7F-2DC0-4194-8D30-745049D68967.jpeg

If anyone is interested, the buyer of this Depop jacket has posted about it on this BTTF Facebook group.

]Kelvin Nguyen[/URL]

Last edited:
Is it true that washing the jacket clears the gray color? or because in this image the gray is clearer, it is an official image of the headgoonie page
1B00FCF5-5112-4C02-BAF7-897897619F0C.jpeg

Yes, Marty Mcfly Jr. I washed my HG jacket in warm water w/ a very small amount of washing soap.

Doing this made the grey and navy slightly lighter in shade. I’d would definitely hang drying only, too. Hope this helps some :)

Where did you get your pins from? the scale looks right in yours also, just like mechanized one!

and one more thing that i noticed, that the back linen was different from mine... was this the 2018 version?
the pins come with max cady's jacket, I bought my jacket on jetlink that's why it has a drawing of a footballer

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back