Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

Someone in one of the BTTF facebook groups asked me to scan one of the interior pages, so I thought I'd add it here too.
MJF Teen Beat scan.jpg

Okay so, I need to get an updated jacket!
I’m currently sporting the old head goonie “blue on blue” version! *some screenshot from a movie I’m doing on amazon prime, (nothing but a homage, it’s not a time travel movie or a remake haha)
now I have tried on the newest instalment in the head goonie line, (Loved it; obviously!) but I have also seen the Max Cady around...so which is best? Is head goonie worth the price jump? Or dose Max cady tick all the boxes? has anyone got both and has a side by side?
6E9C517E-A1D7-4686-9E5F-D2E1877C2672.jpeg
B92BED80-CE66-4D99-9A2D-0491389F8285.jpeg
B56869C0-50B5-418F-BEF4-8F587E227394.png

From what I’ve seen, I prefer the Headgoonie jacket compared to the Maxcady. The color of denim and cut seem more accurate, IMO.

here is a picture of me in the Headgoonie jacket:
03A72A69-AE3E-48F1-A612-F00A272E8A50.jpeg

Not everyone wants to spend that price on the Headgoonie jacket, which is completely understandable. I for one love it and totally have gotten my moneys worth.

From what I’ve seen, I prefer the Headgoonie jacket compared to the Maxcady. The color of denim and cut seem more accurate, IMO.

here is a picture of me in the Headgoonie jacket:
View attachment 1093361

Not everyone wants to spend that price on the Headgoonie jacket, which is completely understandable. I for one love it and totally have gotten my moneys worth.
Where do you buy those pins man? I got 3 of them from costumebase but looks like the guitar and the revolution one is off scale

Where do you buy those pins man? I got 3 of them from costumebase but looks like the guitar and the revolution one is off scale

The Art in Revolution button came from a seller on Etsy. I just checked and they’re no longer available.

again, just my opinion but I’m pretty confident the Art in Revolution pin Marty wears is 1 1/4 inch big.

The bass guitar pin came from searching eBay. It looks like a Fender bass pin, so that’s what I searched.

Lastly the boomerang pin was all hand made. Two-part epoxy, paint, and a safety pin on the back. It came out way better than I was expecting.

this picture was my main reference mainly for the boomerang pin:
AD4EAF43-F5A4-4493-A7FC-A77CB8665DEF.jpeg

Looking at screen shots from the film, its pretty close to screen accurate in my eyes.

The Art in Revolution button came from a seller on Etsy. I just checked and they’re no longer available.

again, just my opinion but I’m pretty confident the Art in Revolution pin Marty wears is 1 1/4 inch big.

The bass guitar pin came from searching eBay. It looks like a Fender bass pin, so that’s what I searched.

Lastly the boomerang pin was all hand made. Two-part epoxy, paint, and a safety pin on the back. It came out way better than I was expecting.

this picture was my main reference mainly for the boomerang pin:
View attachment 1095375

Looking at screen shots from the film, its pretty close to screen accurate in my eyes.
Yes, i think your revolution pin looks on scale... How long is the guitar anyway? Mine’s feel too long
2B4488A1-3AF2-4A7E-8829-2FECD289F1F2.jpeg

Old picture vs new. Same room and same lighting. This is just by putting it in the wash one time. So I should change my review a little. With this discovery I think this jacket deserves a little more praise now that the color is much better. I do still want to change some things though. New correct buttons are on their way, I want to have the blue pieces replaced with a more accurate color, and the paisley liner replaced with TheNickFox's from his spoonflower.
View attachment 856348

View attachment 856349
What size did you get? Also, do you have any interest in selling it? I'd be willing to pay you more than a fair price for it! Matt -

Here is my review.

I've been following the progress of this jacket ever since it was announced. I was really excited to see a new revision for the one in 2015, but unfortunately where they improved in some places, it got a little worse or stayed the same for the worse in others. Let me explain.

The overall shape and fit are much more accurate to the movie. They seem to have used a lighter denim as well so it doesnt feel as heavy. This helps if you're wearing a full Marty outfit since it is two shirts, the jacket, then a vest over that. Where it fails in comparison to the 2015 jacket is the main color. It is much too dark. The blue pieces are better than in 2015, but still incorrect. And like I mentioned earlier, the snap buttons are the wrong design which were correct in the prototype, but not the final release for some reason. The paisley liner is also the same from 2015 which isn't accurate.

The dark triangle on the pocket is also very noticeable. If this were to be executed properly they should have faded it down instead of leaving a big black mark. It really is a shame since it seems like they put more effort into this one, but failed to pay attention to the fine details. I understand the color is hard to pin down, but the 2015 jacket looked better in this department.

It looked much better in this picture. Notice the snaps. I believe they sprayed mine with the dark blue dye too much.
View attachment 855759
What size did you get? Also, if you have any interest in selling it, I'd be willing to pay more than a fair price for it. Matt -

What size did you get? Also, do you have any interest in selling it? I'd be willing to pay you more than a fair price for it! Matt -
I got a size small. And sorry, I don't plan on selling it unless Headgoonie comes out with an even more accurate version. But that is unlikely. It is the grail of my collection.

I got a size small. And sorry, I don't plan on selling it unless Headgoonie comes out with an even more accurate version. But that is unlikely. It is the grail of my collection.
How well does the size small fit on you? How tall / weight are you? Just want to be sure as I sometimes wear a small too.

What size did you purchase? Also, do you have any interest in selling? I'd be willing to pay you a more than a fair price for it.

mine is size small. This is the measurement of the jacket:
chest 122cm (half body 61cm) shoulder width 52.5cm sleeve width 23cm length 56cm hem width 78cm (half body 39cm) sleeve length 60cm cuff width 13cm

i think you should wait for Indy Magnoli one, he might get revised some points that i think fall short from Headgoonie release such as: parsley lining,Hollywood stars lining, the distance between the blue area and the front pocket and maybe the collar, they made it too wide...And hopefully a more reasonable price :)

I actually had the ORIGINAL Guess Jacket as seen in the movie back in mid-1986. Here's a photo of me below at 15yrs old, this pic actually circulated for years online when everyone was searching for these jackets on ebay & I had regrettably uploaded it at that time. Unfortunately I left it behind at my parents when I went off to college & never saw the jacket again :( ( and YES, that IS ME in the photo at 15yrs old ) There was no inner paisley lining as seen in the movie, it was plain white with the "GUESS" worded logo on the inner back. Also the jacket was still brand new in this photo, never washed, so it's not as faded as the one used in the BTTF movie

Attachments

• matt1985.JPG
    matt1985.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 394
I actually had the ORIGINAL Guess Jacket as seen in the movie back in mid-1986. Here's a photo of me below at 15yrs old, this pic actually circulated for years online when everyone was searching for these jackets on ebay & I had regrettably uploaded it at that time. Unfortunately I left it behind at my parents when I went off to college & never saw the jacket again :( ( and YES, that IS ME in the photo at 15yrs old ) There was no inner paisley lining as seen in the movie, it was plain white with the "GUESS" worded logo on the inner back. Also the jacket was still brand new in this photo, never washed, so it's not as faded as the one used in the BTTF movie

Oh wow!
Now that you're here; a couple of questions, if I may?
Where did you buy the jacket and when?
Any idea why the logo is different on your jacket compared to the vintage ones on sale from that era?
Any change we could get a higher resolution scan of the photo?

Thanks!

Oh wow!
Now that you're here; a couple of questions, if I may?
Where did you buy the jacket and when?
Any idea why the logo is different on your jacket compared to the vintage ones on sale from that era?
Any change we could get a higher resolution scan of the photo?

Thanks!

From what I remember, my aunt saw a rack FULL of these jackets at a Guess outlet during late spring of 1986 in Southern California. I was living in San Francisco at the time with my parents, as I was a Sophomore in high school. She knew I wore a lot of Guess clothing, as they were popular back then. She offered to purchase the jacket for my birthday which wasn't until September. I remember my father gawking at the price being approx $150-175 for a denim jacket. Regardless she bought it for me, though I quickly outgrew it by my senior year, though I did wear it to school a number of times & remember a lot of fellow classmates ask me where I bought the jacket, as they weren't available anywhere in the bay area.

As for the logo, having purchased a lot of Guess clothing during that era, same with my older sister, it was fairly commonplace for many of their items from what I remember. I still have a few Guess shirts that used the same Guess tag / logo that was on my jacket. I have the actual photo in my storage somewhere, would need to scan it one day when I actually have more time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back