Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

Ok, I haven't take any picture yet, but will do when I get back from a business trip and send you!

Could you also get this measurement from your jacket?
_10213447034638341_2521290822322749440_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

Ahem.

I DID IT!!!

I beat it! I beat you PayPal, you satanic demon spawn of hell! I beat the most nailbiting experience of my life. You guys don't understand just how much this means to me. You guys don't know just what I've been through for this costume, it's been insanely hard. But I did it, and I still have enough money to live on until next pay!

The hell of it is, I would have been happy with a Max Cady. I really would. Max Cady taught me one thing, and that's not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I am not letting anyone touch this jacket.I am not attempting to improve on it, or take it to a seamstress or something to do it. I'm going to be like Lyon-Estates. It should go under lock and key most of the time. It's worth more than money to me at this point. Because it sure as hell cost more.

After all the sacrifices, the selling things that I still wanted to keep, the constant busywork, the stress, the sleepless nights, the fear that it would all blow up in my face, the desperation of it all, all of it was worthwhile! I can get on with my life again!

Waiting for PayPal to sort itself out has been like pulling teeth out five times over, for nearly a week now. I was so terrified that the payment just wouldn't go through, that PayPal would hold onto it for 21 days, or that I would never get a refund until it was too late and they were already sold out. I'm amazed they have any excess stock to begin with, let alone that it's lasted this long.

The Bruins and the backpack are coming, we'll see about those. But hopefully it'll all turn up okay. I've got a Back to the 90's party in December to go to, (wrong decade for my tastes, but close enough I guess...) but by then I should at least have the jacket and vest.

I don't want anything to be like this again. I'm not cosplaying anything else unless it's extremely casually. Or cheap. My nerves are fried. I need counselling. I've gotta save up for some of the things I had to sell. But I don't care. It's like I beat an impossible challenge in a video game. I did it. It feels SO GOOD.

Ahem.

I DID IT!!!

I beat it! I beat you PayPal, you satanic demon spawn of hell! I beat the most nailbiting experience of my life. You guys don't understand just how much this means to me. You guys don't know just what I've been through for this costume, it's been insanely hard. But I did it, and I still have enough money to live on until next pay!

The hell of it is, I would have been happy with a Max Cady. I really would. Max Cady taught me one thing, and that's not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I am not letting anyone touch this jacket.I am not attempting to improve on it, or take it to a seamstress or something to do it. I'm going to be like Lyon-Estates. It should go under lock and key most of the time. It's worth more than money to me at this point. Because it sure as hell cost more.

After all the sacrifices, the selling things that I still wanted to keep, the constant busywork, the stress, the sleepless nights, the fear that it would all blow up in my face, the desperation of it all, all of it was worthwhile! I can get on with my life again!

Waiting for PayPal to sort itself out has been like pulling teeth out five times over, for nearly a week now. I was so terrified that the payment just wouldn't go through, that PayPal would hold onto it for 21 days, or that I would never get a refund until it was too late and they were already sold out. I'm amazed they have any excess stock to begin with, let alone that it's lasted this long.

The Bruins and the backpack are coming, we'll see about those. But hopefully it'll all turn up okay. I've got a Back to the 90's party in December to go to, (wrong decade for my tastes, but close enough I guess...) but by then I should at least have the jacket and vest.

I don't want anything to be like this again. I'm not cosplaying anything else unless it's extremely casually. Or cheap. My nerves are fried. I need counselling. I've gotta save up for some of the things I had to sell. But I don't care. It's like I beat an impossible challenge in a video game. I did it. It feels SO GOOD.

So which jacket do you own? The Max Caddy replica or the real thing from Guess? Since you mentioned Lyon Estates. It wasnt exactly clear from your paragraphs.

Oh, right. Just a ruined Max Cady. It was too small for me anyway, though. And now it looks really ugly. I'm talking about the Headgoonie jacket.

I wouldn't know what to do with an original Guess jacket to be honest. I know from looking at pictures of them that the lining would be just a plain white, Which is why I think Jennifer must be a seamstress or something. That'd explain the custom nature of Marty's Guess jacket. From an in-universe POV obviously.

So there's still the problem of the lining. Maybe I'd get enough of the paisley lining on Spoonflower and send it to a seamstress or something, I dunno. I wouldn't want to attempt the movie stars part of the lining, nor would I want to subject anyone to that. At least replicas do that part for you. But if the HG jacket is too valuable for me to let it be tampered with, what would an original be worth...?

Last edited:
Cool find today. I rubbed a small portion of the jacket to see if the spray they used can be rubbed off and it actually worked. I'm sure with some handling with a wash cloth and some water and some washes in a washing machine the darkness can be faded away.

Scratch that. I put my jacket in the wash today since I've been wearing it all week and it washed away a lot of the dark blue spray. The jacket looks even better now.

Doesn't that mean it goes back to being more of a true grey, instead of blue-grey?

If anyone is interested, I am currently selling my Headgoonie jacket from their 2015 run. I have a FS thread in the junk yard. It is also on ebay.

Well I got mine in the mail this week, and the sleeves are too short. I wear them out flat, they only touch my wrists. If I roll up the sleeves they go all the way up my arm, they don't hang correctly. I think I probably should have got the XL, but I don't know if it would have made much difference. From now on it's the largest size available on everything by default.

Curse my weird body shape. I'm not just overweight. I am defnitely not average build. I must have a body like Danny Devito or something. Or at least have freakishly long arms.

I hope Magnoli will still do made-to-measure on the new jackets, but that's too far off in the distance to be worrying about it now. If not I'll just have to go with the biggest size and hope for the best again.

Last edited:
The new jacket and vest will be completely made to measure, so we can make longer sleeves to allow for the correct cuff fold.

The sleeves aren't too bad, especially if I keep my arms straight and don't bend them, it hangs closer to my wrist. And since everything else is 99% accurate, I can't complain too much. It's not tight or noticeably too small for me or anything.

I should not let myself be influenced in any way in what sizes I buy. I don't know why but I'm an average height person who has to buy huge clothing. An XL would've at least be slightly better and fit under the vest more accurately too...

I wish the majority of learning experiences in life were things that I could apply to something else later on. But nope, it's always once. No chance to do anything differently next time. These jackets are fairly small to begin with, and most clothing I come across will probably have much bigger sizes.

I may just be being weird, though. The more I wear it the more I like it, and the less the sleeve length actually bothers me.

Last edited:
Okay, bringing this back up. For the options that are out there, what is everybody’s choice?

I’m seeing MaxCady is pre-order in my size, and HeadGooine is in stock w/ my size.

Thoughts?

Did some more research on the jacket, read through this thread and others, and some other odds and ins.

I decided to go with the Headgoonie jacket. I plan to order pretty soon and I’ll post some pictures once I get the jacket in hand(y)

Last edited:
Does anyone else see/have an issue with the new replica's difference in the waistband's single vs. dual line stitching? Or am I just being too nitpicky? (Which, given the posts I've seen regarding the hash marks on the Shah Safari shirt, I don't think is possible :D )

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back