Babylon 5 uniform bits

19narvik40

Sr Member
Hello again,

My previous posting was concerning the PPG holster and what I was going to use for mine.

I was having a Babylon 5 Security uniform made for me (think Jeff Conaway/Zack Allen) but due to my not checking the material the costume maker had picked I had to change uniforms. Now it will be Garabali's Season one uniform. This also meant I needed to make some bling for the new costume. The list is as follows;

1- two brass "buttons", one for each epaulette. Garabaldi was listed as a Warrant Officer and did not have any rank pips on his epaulettes.
2- one Earth Alliance badge worn on the left breast of the uniform jacket, directly above the "pocket".
3- one rank bar for the front of the jacket to be positioned just under the Earth Alliance badge. Garabaldi's rank bar is equal in length to the EA badge, 3 inches/7.5 cms. The officer rank bars measure 4 1/2 inches/11.5 cms.
4- the EA emblem worn on the leather section at the bottom of the jacket. I don't have an accurate measurement of this item so I made mine 6 inches/15.5 cms in length.

Below are my pictures of my efforts so far. Pictures 1 & 2 are of the rank bar. I need to find a fine mesh to go in the centre of the bar and then paint it multiple coats of either gold or brass so I can polish it to bright finish.

Rank bar 01.JPGRank bar 02.JPG

Next are two photos of my version of the belt emblem. I first roughed one out of cardboard, measuring the angles of the EA badge as a guide. I also found a photo of one emblems on a prop collection site. I cut sheet styrene to match the major shapes and used 1mm x 1.5 mm Evergreen styrene strips to make the EA symbol.

Belt insignia 02.jpgBelt insignia 03.jpg

The last two photos are of the brass buttons, EA chest emblem, a small swatch of the costume material as well as my Commlink which I need to repaint as it is too dull.

B5 bling 01.jpgB5 bling 02.jpg

I was thinking of casting the belt emblem as I need to put a slight bend into it so it will fit better at the bottom of the jacket. Resin is far more forgiving of heat than styrene. Also, I though about trying to use some brass powder to give it a nicer look than my paint job. The EA chest emblem needs to be repainted as the blue I used didn't settle evenly and it shows. I have started to add the Evergreen strip to a second badge to see if I can make it look a bit sharper.

I welcome any and all comments, suggestions that may help me along the way. Thanks for looking.

Don

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back